changing octaves in drum racks

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
barciewicz

changing octaves in drum racks

Post by barciewicz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:41 pm

When I load a kit (let's say 808) into a drum rack, Live automatically assigns it to a specific octave. But what if I want to assign the whole kit to a different octave in a drum rack without changing everything manually or dragging pads one by one? From what i've read in the manual,it can be done by pressing Alt, but i can't get it to work for some reason...Any ideas?

Thanks
Bartek

kleine

Re: changing octaves in drum racks

Post by kleine » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Use the "Pitch" MIDI effect device.

best,
Christian

barciewicz

Post by barciewicz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Sorry , i didn't explain well what i mean... I don't want to change the pitch, I want to assign specific drum rack kit to a higher position on my MIDI keyboard, but Live automatically sets it low so it's uncomfortable for me to play as I am more used to use my right, not left, hand for rhythm "purposes"...

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:52 pm

using the pitch device is the correct way, if you don't want to manually reassign the notes in the drum rack

you aren't changing the _pitch_ as in making the drums sound like chipmunk drums

you are just changing which keyboard notes will play the drum samples

beubbo

Post by beubbo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Hi,

I have the same question but for an other reason, I would like to fit within a single Drum Rack instance several drum kits, say from the Drum Machines collection, across the whole midi notes range so I could play different kits just by moving between octaves (and yes, I am aware that it is sort of doabe via Instruments Rack but I would like to keep each percussion name visible in midi clip's piano roll)

Thanks.
B