8.1 crashing / unrecoverable from saved undo ... advice?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
eliteforce

8.1 crashing / unrecoverable from saved undo ... advice?

Post by eliteforce » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:51 pm

8.1. The latest version. MacPro 10.6.2. 8Gb RAM. 2x 2.26Gb.

Like every one of the versions before within the Live8 banner it is very, very unstable & very very crash prone. By that I mean every 30-45 minutes on average, it crashes. When I try to load up from the Saved Undo, I get a pop-up message saying it's a 'serious program error and cannot be restarted'. However if I reboot the computer it will load up the file, but not from the saved undo history, from the previously saved version of the track.

The causes of these crashes are various. Sometimes it's something as simple as copying or pasting some parts, sometimes inserting or deleting time, sometimes changing the pitch in Complex Pro mode, sometimes closing the window of a plug-in. The long & short of it is that I have no idea why this is happening, but I know it's causing day after day of lost time, lost work.

Any help, advice, assistance would be much appreciated. It's been 6 days since I heard from Tech Support, and there's been a lot of lost work under the bridge since then. If no one can offer any advice, I'll be back for counseling in another week or two.

s

Fieldmedic

Re: 8.1 crashing / unrecoverable from saved undo ... advice?

Post by Fieldmedic » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm having the same issue with snow leopard 10.6.1
Unfortunately, I chose to convert my library to 8.1!
Fortunately, I use Time Machine!
No answer from my end, sorry. Not sure what's new in 8.1 other than M4L, so I stepped back to 8.0.5.
I do look forward to an answer though.

FM

eliteforce

Post by eliteforce » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:27 pm

At least with 8.0.9 the crashes weren't quite so bad (although I did have a couple that were completely unrecoverable). I can't believe I've become a connoisseur of my own 'crashes'. That's how ropey Ableton's been for me over the past few months :(

Trigon Midnight

Post by Trigon Midnight » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:51 pm

Yeah - live 8.1 is so laggy and crashes so much on both my mac (studio machine) and windows laptop (performance machine) that it's unusable. 8.09 seems to be pretty solid after using it for a test run. 8.04 had some weird audio issues for me which I couldn't figure out- terrible random crackles that happened which I isolated wasn't on the hardware or driver side. Very odd. The crackles occured live too which was horrendous. For whatever reason Live seems more stable on my Windows machine which I why I use it for performances. I can't believe my own eyes that I am writing the word Stable and Windows in the same sentence. 8O
http://www.swedishcolumbia.com

Live 8.11 / Korg Zero 8 / Novation Launchpad
UAD2 Plugins / Arturia Synths

Trigon Midnight

Post by Trigon Midnight » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Got a support reply which seems to work:

Please try this:
- close Live
- delete the content of these two folders:
/Users/[username]/Library/Caches/Ableton/Cache/Web/
/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Ableton/Live 8.1/Database/
- delete your "Template.als" and "Preferences.cfg" files (same folder as the Log.txt)-
- restart Live
http://www.swedishcolumbia.com

Live 8.11 / Korg Zero 8 / Novation Launchpad
UAD2 Plugins / Arturia Synths

eliteforce

Post by eliteforce » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:03 pm

hmmm - yeah it worked for me the first time I did it but every crash leaves corrupted files for me.

s

kleine

Post by kleine » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:57 pm

eliteforce wrote:hmmm - yeah it worked for me the first time I did it but every crash leaves corrupted files for me.

s
Can you give more info´s about this? Do you mean you can´t open your sets after a crash?

best,
Christian

eliteforce

Post by eliteforce » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:40 pm

Yep, more often than not, crashes that happen using 8.1 render the project unloadable if you try to recover the lost work, with a message that effectively says 'Ableton has encountered a serious error and will now shut down'. I can usually reopne the project file from the last saved version, but not always ... sometimes that is unloadable too.

MacPro. 10.6.2.

Lord Flashback

Post by Lord Flashback » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:19 am

Dear Ableton support team!
I am experiencing exactly the same problems here and you guys are still trying to make us believe that these problems are "no known issues".

Please solve them as soon as possible!

eliteforce

Post by eliteforce » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 am

Any further feedback on this from the frontline. I'd never experienced this with Ableton before 8 came along (in fact 90% of the problems I continue to have with it weren't there in previous incarnations. Interestingly enough it seems to be rock solid on my laptop (although I never use it for that much proper production work), but on the MacPro it's a nightmare!

taximouse

Post by taximouse » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:37 pm

your scenario is extremely familiar to me. i get lots of crashes while doing things like adding tracks, or copying and pasting clips.

this doesn't solve the crashing but i've been saving like a maniac. when Live starts back up after a crash, make sure not to select "do you want Live to recover your work?" because if you do you'll get the serious program error and yes, the file reverts to a much older version.
MacBook Pro 2.93 Ghz, early 2009, 4GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
Live 8.1.4
Motu Ultralite + FCB1010 + SooperLooper + cello

twitter: zoecello
http://www.zoekeating.com

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Same stuff happening here. Lots of crashes, recoveries that don't work, and now even corrupted projects (track grouping corrup). I don't run anything weird on my computer, it's an almost clean Snow Leopard install. It's also not a problem of my sound card, cause with the Motu 828 I have the same issues as with the Presonus Firebox. I'm a user since Live 5 and have always praised and promoted Live amongst classmates, friends, etc. The last months have been the only times I have been somewhat hesitant about this, I've been losing some of the pride of being a Live user. I hope the software will be stable again soon. Not that I'm considering any other software, cause Live is what I need for composing and live electroacoustics.

I know you are concentrating on bug fixing right, and I do praise you for that decision.

One useful note: Repairing disk permissions did stop sudden stalls (with the mouse arrow turning into that loading icon for ever).