Before i throw my laptop out the window.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Locked
kennymeg
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:17 am

Before i throw my laptop out the window.

Post by kennymeg » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:44 am

Hi all,


I'm running Live 7.18 on my

Vaio laptop,

Vista Pro 32,

1.6ghz dual core,

2 gig ram,

Internal 5800rpm hard drive (contains Live Install)

External 250 gb hd 7200rpm (only project files and library stored on here, 240gb free)

emu 0404 usb interface (says usb 1.1 in device manager but 2.0 in 0404 application) 44/16bit

Novation sl compact 25


This seems to exceed the required spec but I'm getting frequent audio crackles and complete dropouts running around 10 midi tracks and 4 audio. Freezing most of the channels helps little but not alot.



I've disabled all unnecessary services, devices etc (inc all net devices and onboard audio card)



Do you have any advice on how I can improve this situation? The Live meter often reads at 30% 40% with a project open but not playing, while my memory usage is normally around 1.3 gb. I have multicore enabled in Live.

This is now really starting to get in the way of my work, i've spent the last week trying to fix this so I can finish a track rather than just finishing the track.
Thanks in advance

Kenny

l-rs
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:19 pm
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Before i throw my laptop out the window.

Post by l-rs » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:48 pm

"1.6ghz dual core"

What is the precise processor spec? Is it a Core 2 Duo or an older dual core cpu? Could be that it's not quit up to the task?
I've got some stuff here:
http://www.zuur.com/

mode:masters
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:32 am
Location: Sth. Australia

Re: Before i throw my laptop out the window.

Post by mode:masters » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:46 am

kennymeg wrote: emu 0404 usb interface (says usb 1.1 in device manager but 2.0 in 0404 application) 44/16bit
I would start here, if the OS says USB1.1 you have a problem. Make sure your chipset drivers are installed/up to date.

Maybe do some tests on your USB ports with a flash drive. Transfer a large-ish file and time how long it takes. Go to another PC that you know works ok and transfer the same file from PC to flash drive and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Also, how big is your audio buffer in Live and how many other USB devices do you have connected?

Unlike Firewire, USB chipsets still use the CPU to do some of the processing and alot of devices connected to the same hub can cause USB audio interfaces some issues. Disconnect all unecessary devices and see if that helps.

andy c
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:27 am
Location: uk
Contact:

Re: Before i throw my laptop out the window.

Post by andy c » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Just a thought but try disabling the ACPI Battery driver in the control panel. I had problems like this turned out to be a DPC latency issue caused by this driver. You can live without it if you run off the mains but running off the battery is a bit naff no warning when your running low on power or before a forced shutdown.

kennymeg1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Before i throw my laptop out the window.

Post by kennymeg1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:25 pm

l-rs wrote:"1.6ghz dual core"

What is the precise processor spec? Is it a Core 2 Duo or an older dual core cpu? Could be that it's not quit up to the task?

It's an Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 / 1.6 GHz processor, is this a good or a bad thing? :?
mode:masters wrote:
kennymeg wrote: emu 0404 usb interface (says usb 1.1 in device manager but 2.0 in 0404 application) 44/16bit

This bit i've worked out, i'd hotswapped the cable without thinking and it automatically sets at 1.1 when you do this.

When i look at device manager it looks like i'm only able to use 2 of my usb ports, no matter what i do it bunches 3 devices on 1 and 1 device on another , there's 4 ports listed there........ so i thought uninstall the ports and restart the computer, allowing it to reinstall them. No avail, not sure if this is normanl.


The audio buffer is 708 if i remember right (on my works pc right now) This cant be changed directly in Ableton can it, it's greyed out.


I'll check with a memory stick later in the week, it'll be interesting to see a comparison in transfer speed.


andy c wrote:Just a thought but try disabling the ACPI Battery driver in the control panel. I had problems like this turned out to be a DPC latency issue caused by this driver. You can live without it if you run off the mains but running off the battery is a bit naff no warning when your running low on power or before a forced shutdown.

Cheers, did this and it has helped a little. Did a check with DPC latency checker and latency seems ok now i've disabled everything inc cd drive and touchpad and net devices and and and.... it's amazing just how little of this rubbish you actually need :wink:



Thanks all for all your advice, much appreciated. Sure I’m a few steps forward in my quest for a machine that doesn't have me grinding my teeth waiting for my crescendos to be torn limb from limb in digital hell.
K

visionize
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: NETHERLANDS
Contact:

Re: Before i throw my laptop out the window.

Post by visionize » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 pm

I had the same problem as well, it is the emu interface that is causing the problems, i switched over to a TC ELECTRONICS KONNEKT ^ DESKTOP, and the problem was solved, i have also vaio laptop but i use a firewire connection, when you switch over to tc electronics desktop 6, it will work on a different chip in your laptop, the chip used when you use emu interface is a devided chip what is causing your problems when operating over USB, the firewire connection is located next to the extra screen connection as a tiny 4pin firewireslot,
hope i had the right information for you....john ,holland(blvanderstel@orange.nl)
kennymeg wrote:Hi all,


I'm running Live 7.18 on my

Vaio laptop,

Vista Pro 32,

1.6ghz dual core,

2 gig ram,

Internal 5800rpm hard drive (contains Live Install)

External 250 gb hd 7200rpm (only project files and library stored on here, 240gb free)

emu 0404 usb interface (says usb 1.1 in device manager but 2.0 in 0404 application) 44/16bit

Novation sl compact 25


This seems to exceed the required spec but I'm getting frequent audio crackles and complete dropouts running around 10 midi tracks and 4 audio. Freezing most of the channels helps little but not alot.



I've disabled all unnecessary services, devices etc (inc all net devices and onboard audio card)



Do you have any advice on how I can improve this situation? The Live meter often reads at 30% 40% with a project open but not playing, while my memory usage is normally around 1.3 gb. I have multicore enabled in Live.

This is now really starting to get in the way of my work, i've spent the last week trying to fix this so I can finish a track rather than just finishing the track.
Thanks in advance

Kenny

Locked