How to install updates on to top of old version.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
jonah

How to install updates on to top of old version.

Post by jonah » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:38 am

Whenever I install an update the previous version is kept. I'm worried if I uninstall the old version it will take my project files away etc. It's a pretty big waste of space though and it seems weird to have to download/unpack all the sound again and all that. Is there anyway to make the updates actually update rather than install side by side? Seems like lots of new versions are coming out... Thanks.

PalaNIN

Re: How to install updates on to top of old version.

Post by PalaNIN » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:14 am

The install folder (which has Live program files) is completely different to your Library (which has all your project files, loops, samples etc). You can uninstall the older version of Live (as long as you haven't got your Library inside the Live install folder) without affecting all your work. Just don't go deleting your Library :)
Twitter//@donkeykonga | Soundcloud//PalaNIN | MySpace//The Empathy Concept | Using//Ableton Live 8//Korg padKontrol

kennymeg1

Post by kennymeg1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:45 pm

PalaNIN wrote:The install folder (which has Live program files) is completely different to your Library (which has all your project files, loops, samples etc). You can uninstall the older version of Live (as long as you haven't got your Library inside the Live install folder) without affecting all your work. Just don't go deleting your Library :)

I deleted my libary by mistake doing this, nightmare. Managed to undelete it eventually, three weeks later it was all still in one peice thankfully.

jsn

Post by jsn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:28 pm

jonah wrote:Whenever I install an update the previous version is kept. I'm worried if I uninstall the old version it will take my project files away etc.
Hello Jonah. I am using WindowsXPPro. I will assume you are using a WinPc as well. First off, I usually wait for a few weeks and follow the forums before I remove a previous version, in order to make sure there a no major conflict reported with the current version/beta. You should absolutely be able to remove a previous version or beta with no losses whatsoever (I have been doing so since a while now) IF you are not saving your projects specifically to the installation directory of the version you are uninstalling. It is quite wise to save your Live project files in a separate location on one of your drives. I use a completely separate Windows partition on my drive for my Live library and project files folder. The Live library is usually installed to a different location than that of the current version's installation directory so there is usually no risk of losing this unless, as mentioned earlier, you have set the Library location to be somewhere within the program's installation directory. I do not suggest one to do this (maybe Live will even warn one away from doing this with some kind of alert window).

No, Live versions never install "over" previous versions (since I have been using the program at least, later versions of Live 6). At any rate, I believe Abelton has done this so that the user has the option go back to a previous version without much trouble, if it is necessary to do so. I am only guessing. Yes, each new install can take some time and space, but this is the way it is for now.

Always always always watch these forums before removing a previous version within the first few weeks of a new release. I usually keep a backup of the installation files just in case.