Large Live 3 set in Live 4

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
krikor

Post by krikor » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:04 pm

I found that if I opened the set several hours before the show and left the computer running it played fine, which leads me to believe this maybe an issue with the analysis files
I just tried something yesterday:

while waiting to start my live, i played every single scene of the set until scen 200 (i was short of time to go through the all set) i experienced some bugs as usual... then during my live set i didn't encounter any bugs until... scene 200.
It seems that it's a loading related problem. Can you all try this? so we can see if it's reproductible...

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:54 am

well, I've gone back to OS 9 with Live 4.0.4 Will do some more testing tomorrow but the screen latency is still much better in OS 9 and I'm not getting any audio drop outs when triggering scenes in a large set that was made in Live 3.

I guess Live 4 still needs some work in OS X.

telepathic regards,
the kooky scientist

roland

Post by roland » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:30 pm

I just joined this thread today. After updating to LIVE 4 I experienced the same shit with drop outs and stuttering. Yesterday I had a live show with with my band and it was a really hard job for our drummer because even the click I send to him from LIVE was not tight.

It never happened in LIVE 3 with the same setup and the same session. Unfortunately I saved my work in LIVE 4 during the past weeks and there is no option to go back to LIVE 3, even if no new features of LIVE 4 were used.

PLEASE, PLEASE Abletons,
do something to cure this problem. I used to be sure on stage, nothing can stop LIVE from in playing in time, even if I experiment a lot. Bring this feature back to LIVE 4, otherwise it has been a rather useless update for me because I just can´t use it on stage and that´s what I bought it for.

krikor

Post by krikor » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:30 pm

The Kooky Scientist wrote:well, I've gone back to OS 9 with Live 4.0.4 Will do some more testing tomorrow but the screen latency is still much better in OS 9 and I'm not getting any audio drop outs when triggering scenes in a large set that was made in Live 3.
i did the same and it worked perfectly!!! for the moment i'll have to stick to OS9 for the stage work... The only problem i had were little clicks with the soundcard driver of my RME, i need to check that with older driver it might work better...

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:56 pm

hi,
I have the same problem. my very large live3 set is stuttering in live4. I have to use live3 playing live... :cry:

dell inspiron 8200, xp sp2

roland

keep this topic running

Post by roland » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:19 pm

I´m glad there´s always someone who keeps this topic running until we all know where the problem comes from and eventually someone (hopefully Ableton) can solve it. My next LIVE gig is coming next week and I don´t want to rebuild my complete setup in LIVE 3. A backward compatibility would be fine by the way.

krikor

Post by krikor » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:33 pm

No News on that? Anyone at Ableton? Ulf or Christian? please...

4am

Post by 4am » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:01 am

i have exactly the same problems with
xp sp2
live 4.04
m-audio mobile pre usb
and a large set created in live3 (+350 scenes and 9 stereo tracks)

i will try the asio4all driver

and will inform about upgrading ram from 512 to 1024

and let you know if it works better

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:48 pm

please ableton, give us a sign... :roll:

davethedrummer

Post by davethedrummer » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:55 pm

yeah i sent them long message about this problem too
16 tracks with 50 or so scenes plus one midi track running the pro 53
mac 10.3.6 motu 828 latest drivers 1.5 ghz powerbook
but i recorded the whole thing as an arrangement as i was sure it was the session play area that was causing the problem.
anyway it's better but not great.
last weeke i had to stop my set and play records instead
and i can't go back to version 3 unless i rebuild which is so much work!
basically it ems to have nothing to do with effects or the softsynths as i've tried without it seems to make no difference using the internal sound from the mac or the motu firwire audioand no difference loading clips into ram.
it always happens when you are changing scenes live
especially scenes which contain a group of previously unplayed samples.
but it also happens just when the thing is playing.
version 3 did seem pretty o.k. but i've come so far with this now
and i'm playing again on saturday!
very unhappy about this
abletons response was very vague but i'll get bck to them gain and moan about it , they have to sort this out as we are not alone.
i have several proffesion friends who use this all the time and since they changed to version 4 they've had problems.
definatley feeling pretty ripped off here

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:44 pm

I just solved this problem on my 1ghz G4 titanium laptop by installing more RAM. I've got 768 now and things are running smoothly. I'll up it to 1 gb soon.

telepathic regards,
the kooky scientist

krikor

Post by krikor » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:27 pm

Well... ram doesn't sove anything for me cause i have 1 giga already installed...

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:43 pm

Hey Krikor,

I think it is definitely related to Ram. Try deleting some FX and vsti's if you are using them and see if it helps. Good luck.

telepathic regards,
the kooky scientist

krikor

Post by krikor » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:22 pm

i've tried that already i deleted all vst and fx and it didn't help, i'm stuck in a position with loads of short clips in the ram mode and loads of clip in regular, (30% of the clips in ram), if put more clips in regular i get disk access problems. I've actually tried to take out all the ram mode's one and it didn't change anything, i get the bug either the scen launched is composed of ram clips or regular one's.
I swtiched back to OS9 for my live, with it the only bug i get is some crispy noise in my RME from time to time due to Inpulse.
I went to ableton's office in berlin, leave them my complete set with all sounds, i never got an answer from them...
By the way how big is your set? live file and sounds folder?

Best
K

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:02 am

My liveset file is 804 kb with a folder of sounds that is 343.4 mb. Only 3 vst effects used.

telepathic regards,
the kooky scientist