combining v7 library into new v8 library?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
doc$

combining v7 library into new v8 library?

Post by doc$ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:31 am

Hi -

I'm sitting here reading p63 of the manual, and searching the forum - and this still doesn't make sense to me.

My Live 7 Library is located in the /music folder on my macbook pro.

my Live 8 library is located in the application support folder.

I want to 'combine' these libraries, so that I can have all my old custom presets and what not.

I tried hitting 'change location' and navigating to the folder where the old one is - but it just switched over to that one, it did not combine or change the library in application support.

I just tried 'repair library' and that isn't working either.

can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I thought for sure that p63 of the manual was telling me how to do this correctly

I'd like to delete my old version of live and have one library and v8 ONLY.

doc$

Re: combining v7 library into new v8 library?

Post by doc$ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:05 pm

anyone? I don't want to MOVE the library, I want to combine old and new -

please, i'm reading the manual - i'm searching the forum - if this is something obvious please just call me a dope and post the link to the info I need

doc$

Post by doc$ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:57 pm

bump

DiGiTaLFX

Post by DiGiTaLFX » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:42 pm

Whilst I'm not sure, I personally would open up a view of each library in the explorer 1 and 2 buttons on the left. Then just drag and drop the custom stuff from your 7 library over to your 8 library. Hope that's some help although I realise it's not quite what you were looking for.

DiGiTaLFX

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:05 am

here's a couple ideas:

-in live 8, select the live 7 library (or preferably a copy of it) as the active library, then "search for live packs" and hopefully it would install all of the live 8 stuff it can find..

or

-select your live 8 library as active, then find the live 7 library in the browser, and 'manage' it.. export to library (?)

----

typically when i'm going to install a new version, i'll make a copy of the previous library, and point to that during the new install.

also it is good to be comfortable enough with the folder structure so that you can manually move things in/out of the library and understand how to fix the file references that may get broken. (ideally you would understand what you're about to break as you prepare to move things)

if you have disk space enough to have copies of things, then you can more freely experiment with that stuff