When are edits saved in Sampler?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
webslave

When are edits saved in Sampler?

Post by webslave » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:31 pm

It's always the basic things that fox me. I've created a multi-sample using sampler but at the moment each time I want to save a change I'm creating a new preset! How do I update a preset with my changes? I thought it woudld just remeber what I'd tweaked when I moved to a different preset but it doesn't appear to. I can't help thinking I'm missing something basic.

kleine

Re: When are edits saved in Sampler?

Post by kleine » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:51 pm

You must save-replace the preset/override the old preset or save it as a new preset if you
don´t want to override the old preset.

Best,
Christian

webslave

Post by webslave » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:57 pm

kleine wrote:You must save-replace the preset/override the old preset or save it as a new preset if you
don´t want to override the old preset.

Best,
Christian
Hi Christian,

How do I save-replace? Each time I press save it creates a new preset - I just want it to overwrite what is there. Is there a quick way to do that?

Cheers

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:51 pm

webslave wrote:How do I save-replace? Each time I press save it creates a new preset - I just want it to overwrite what is there. Is there a quick way to do that?
Simple; just press enter. Then Live will recognize the existing filename and asks if you want to overwrite.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

webslave

Post by webslave » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:42 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
webslave wrote:How do I save-replace? Each time I press save it creates a new preset - I just want it to overwrite what is there. Is there a quick way to do that?
Simple; just press enter. Then Live will recognize the existing filename and asks if you want to overwrite.
Thanks Doesn't strike me as a very intuitive.

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Well, actually it is.

Don't forget that you can't treat a setting like a Word document or anything. Some presets take hours if not days to perfect. And while you can save them in locations outside the main library it is kinda tedious to do so. And with a 40+ Gb library its also not something I backup on a daily basis.

Given those points I'd really hate it if I would continue working on a preset only to loose my work because I accidentally pressed the save button, thus automatically overwriting it.

Yes, an "are you sure" notification could help. But how much extra overhead would that cause on a liveset when working on several tracks where some of them have a multiple amount of instruments and/or effects? I'd hate to see precious memory getting wasted over something as trivial as keeping track of any possible changes ;)
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)