How solid is Live8 for you?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support

Does Live 8 run reliably on your system?

I could rely on Live8 to perform a major gig (rock solid)
25%
I can run Live8 on my system, but with 'issues' (flakey)
47%
I can't run Live8 reliably at all (dodgy)
28%

Total votes: 108

zooli

Re: How solid is Live8 for you?

Post by zooli » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:18 am

Live 8.1 on Mac Book Pro: only 5 audio clips + 1 efx or one Vst alone make cpu jump to 100% ! 8O

I tried Everything, cleaning, re-install osx, other nootbook, email-support sessions.. as 4 now : nada :?
MacBookPro
|Live 8|Roland Juno-D|M-audio Oxygen|Novation remote zero-SL|NI Maschine 1.5|
NI AUDIO 8 DJ|KRK V8 Active Monitors|Traktor Scratch Pro

Lamont

Post by Lamont » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 pm

The Live versions 8.0.5 until 8.0.8 were really dodgy for me. I had a 30 minute show last summer and I was praying that Live 8.0.5 wouldn't crash on me because usually this version would shut down 5-10 minutes within a show. Thank goodness it didn't crash, but I was just very lucky.

Starting from 8.1 things started to get much better, although I still have some issues such as:
-The "EXT" sync (it's a disaster)
-Problems accessing the I/O page from time to time.

I use a macbook pro 13" 2009
2gb RAM
mac os x 10.5.8
Apogee Duet soundcard

I can't wait for the major update.

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:16 pm

bit disappointing really ... starting to feel a bit shortchanged ... paying big bucks for software that is not stable enough for professional (or other) use ... meanwhile it keeps being advertised and sold as if it's a finished, professional product ... a little misleading really IMHO.
don't like bitching, especially about an innovative software company like Ableton ... but you have to call a spade a spade ....

Arca 3000

Post by Arca 3000 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:26 am

I really regret upgrading to 8.1.1 - it still has issues for me with audio coming to a slow crunch etc. I also made the mistake of opening some important projects and saving them so I cant go back to 7 which was rock solid and no issues at all!

Mac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM
Version 10.5.8
I also use a lot of the Native Instruments.

Anyone with a similar setup who has upgraded their RAM to 4gb? Is there a huge difference?

With Live 7 I could run double the tracks / plugins and have no performance issues.

Cheers all.
m

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Arca 3000 wrote:I really regret upgrading to 8.1.1 - it still has issues for me with audio coming to a slow crunch etc. I also made the mistake of opening some important projects and saving them so I cant go back to 7 which was rock solid and no issues at all!
Surprising, that Ableton has allowed their loyal customer base to be led into such risky practices. Really, they should be more public about Live8's 'risks'. Publicly pretending 'all is well' is serving no one.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 pm

I feel your pain and all, but how are they:
scaper777 wrote: Publicly pretending 'all is well'
:?:

They made an announcement about their intentions and swallowed their pride... I know its been a while since they did and... I'm getting a little anxious too... none the less, they publicly announced all is not so well.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:07 pm

H20nly wrote:I feel your pain and all, but how are they:

Publicly pretending 'all is well'?
by continuing to promote & sell it as a working, finished product.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 pm

fair enough, but I can hardly see where a recall is in order. Remember, it works for a lot of people. I just put the song in my sig up on soundcloud. It was made with 8.1.1. I have had some issues. Most recent being a C++ runtime error when shutting down. Still, I was able to do hours of work and lost nothing when I did have errors all through the revs. annoying yes... Its not perfect, but it works a whole lot more than it doesn't.

Some people have it bad and others, not so bad. Some have no issues. It would be cool if they would do something nice for us (besides just make it work as expected) when its all said and done, but acknowledgment is huge. Many companies would ignore the problem and "fix it" with the next upgrade/release. At least they're trying to make this one right...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

spiderdog

Post by spiderdog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:04 am

For the most part I like it, but i feel that it is a bit more unstable then 7.
I use live to perform hybrid DJ sets which incorporates my own production and remixes of other peoples tracks, but since i have downloaded 8, my powermac dual 2.3 G5 with 8gigs of ram cant load nor monitor mp3s with out freezing up and going unresponsive. However, when I open it up in my macbookpro intel coreduo, it plays better.
On my G5 I can produce a track containing 25+ tracks and it works fine. Its just when i get to monitoring entire MP3's or wav songs that it begins to freeze up.

anyone else getting this?

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:47 pm

... accidental post ... don't know how to delete it ....

nafe

Post by nafe » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:35 pm

I have persevered with live 8 since its release with continued unexplained and explained crashes. all this has been well documented. I occasionally play dj sets live with ableton in clubs and run my own studio where it is no issue if there are crashes as it is usually only myself and never (or very rarely) people paying for my services. By no means is it my bread and butter, if it was i think i would be a bit more pissed with ableton and would have jumped ship already.
My current plan, with some club sets coming up, is that I am not confident at all with live 8 (any version) that I would be happy using it out hence I am in the process of setting up with live 7 again to use out. I will continue to use 8 for production as I like its additional features and have become quite automatic at command S. I am eagerly awaiting fixes to the crashing would be so sad if ableton is permanantly broke.
regards

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:39 am

as a regular 7 user I have to say it's very stable whatever I throw at it .... solid with external MTC sync too, which is a must in my setup ... 7 is still a fully functional and creative gem. I'll find new things to do with it for a while to come yet.

andysweetuk

Post by andysweetuk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:32 am

crash test dummys
Last edited by andysweetuk on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

designx

Post by designx » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:42 pm

Rock Solid

Using Live 8.0.9
Leopard 10.5.6
8 core 2.8 Mac Pro
6 gigs of ram
Rme Fireface 800
Including external Lacie one terabyte hard drive using the firewire 800 or 400 bus depending on what's connected.
M-audio Ozonic firewire controller keyboard or further midi keyboard

I had many issues with snap, crackle and pop with Powerbook.
Turned out to be a few things.

1. Lack of horsepower
2. M-audio Ozonic hates your external drive to be using the firewire 800 interface as it has a supernatural effect on it's own 400 firewire connection.
I made similar comments to the poster above and it took a year of trouble shooting to realize it was mismatched equipment that the manufacturers all keep quiet about.
These problems can be poor firewire interfaces that are well documented about on Apple's own site or simply a mismatch of the version of 0SX you are using and then every thing you want to do in making music becomes a time consuming nightmare in problem solving.
Anything before 0SX 10.5.4 was a software mess and plugins would simply bomb the whole systems reliability.
Ableton does have problems that they are trying solve but being an end user who had countless OSX problems I can see it's no easy day for them to sail their software in the ever changing rough seas of computer platform operating systems.
I for one would like to see a slow down of developing new complex ideas and to just make enhancements of simple basics to make music creation easier and better thought out, simply keeping everything solid.
As expressed Live 8.0.9 on my system does not crash on OSX 10.5.6 but I know I am just lucky. Can't live on luck forever.

jeremybrown333

Post by jeremybrown333 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm pretty pissed off.. I've been working on a new album and cannot open my latest work. I'm still wondering why I paid so much for an upgrade that runs like shit.