All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: my recorded wav sounds terrible
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:48 am 

Hello. I have been trying to export audio out as a wave from a live session, and the sound quality is terrible. I found a few posts that were close to my issue, but more specific and the language that was used was over my head. I am relatively new to all this and couldnt tell you what to dither means, so I apologize in advance if this is a somewhat retarded question.

Here are my specs:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire 6930G
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 272 MB
Total Virtual Memory 8.17 GB

Sound -
Name Realtek High Definition Audio
Manufacturer Realtek
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_1025015E&REV_1002\4&158CBE3A&0&0001

Name NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0006&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1000\4&158CBE3A&0&0301

Name USB Audio Device
Manufacturer (Generic USB Audio)
Status OK
PNP Device ID USB\VID_09E8&PID_0073&MI_00\6&1BE45E0E&0&0000

I am using live 8.1.1 and attempting to just record a session directly to my hard drive as a wav file. I am using no external devices or recording hardware, just live and my laptop. I do use the Echo IndigoDJ card for audio out when performing but not in this case.
To export after the session is recorded I select the entire scene on the arrangement view, export as wave, 44100, bit depth 16, and no dithering.

The settings in my preferences are:

under recording :
file type - wav
bit depth - 24
count in - none
exclusive - arm and solo highlighted
clip update rate - 1/16

and under audio:
audio device
driver type - MME/direct X
audio input device - microphone(realtek high definition audio DX)
output device - speakers (high definitition audio)

sample rate 96000 and high quality highlighted.

I have played with different sample rates. 96000 seems to be the closest to anything audible but still the recorded product seems to be extremely distorted and way louder than what went into it. I am obviously new to this, so I have no idea what the disconnect is from whats going in to what is being recorded. I have tried to set the volume of the live set as low as it can possibly go without me not being able to tell what I am doing and that seemed to make it just slightly better but still terrible.
If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Post subject: Re: my recorded wav sounds terrible
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:00 pm 

try matching bit depths and sample rates, across all settings?

i.e. record at 16/44100, or render at 24/96000

if 'normalize' is on in the rendering dialog box, then your .wav file will always peak at 0dB (it will be "loud")

but not distorted by the normalizaiton, not sure what's going on with the distortion

Post subject: Re: my recorded wav sounds terrible
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:00 pm 

you should use the indigo to do some troubleshooting. do you get distortion with the indigo?

are you recording with a microphone? are you sure that the output level of the mic is matching the input level of the jack you are plugging it into?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]