Normalizing an audio clip?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
td6d

Normalizing an audio clip?

Post by td6d » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi there!

I've got a quick question, can't find anything on the net or ableton help.

Is it possible to normalize an audio clip? I just recorded something but its rather soft so I'd like to normalize the whole thing.

kleine

Re: Normalizing an audio clip?

Post by kleine » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:44 pm

You can normalize via exporting - see the dialogue window when choosing "export audio/video" from
the File menu.

best,
Christian

td6d

Post by td6d » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Yes I knew that but it seems a little.. elaborate?
I'll just use the gain next to the audiowaveform

kleine

Post by kleine » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Sure that´s fine but normalization is a term for a special process in the digital audio world:
Normalization increases the amplitude of the audio waveform to the maximum level that
does not introduce any new distortion but does increase the noise level along with the
content although the S/N remains the same. Because this is a linear translation it does not
introduce any distortion from requantization such as compression may do.
Specifically, normalization applies a constant amount of gain to the selected region of the
recording to bring the highest peak to a target level, usually -6.0 dB so to allow for addition
of two channels so they do not go over 0.0dBFS, or 100% (0 dB)

So, if you just need to have the signal louder instead of normalization, the gain fader is fine.

Best,
Christian

td6d

Post by td6d » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks, I am aware of that. I just wanted to know where the function was hidden but apparently there isn't a function like that in Ableton (well, exept if you go to the trouble of rendering the whole track to a new audio file)
I was quite amazed that this function is not yet available in Live since I (and I know many others) use it a-lot and its not some kind of expensive vst function like timestretch and can be found even in free programs like audacity. (in Renoise its called 'maximize')

Thanks anyway for the help :wink:

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:57 am

the 'consolidate' command performs a normalization as part of its function

however it also captures the output of the warp engine as the new audio file. so it would be a deal breaker if you had active warping, e.g. you had placed or moved any markers, changed the set tempo after recording, or had the clip in complex or complex pro mode, etc.

if you have recorded a clip and not changed the tempo, and your default mode is beats, repitch (preferably, or even tones or texture) you'd be OK