Overdubbing Automation In Arrangement View

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
MrBen

Overdubbing Automation In Arrangement View

Post by MrBen » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:40 am

Hi,

OK so I have 1 MIDI track with Analog in it. In the Arrangement view I have Global Record on, OVR on and
the Loop Switch on (loop is 4 bars).

I hit some notes and get a 4 bar melody going....fine.
I then fiddle with a few Analog knobs and they get recorded too....great.

The trouble is when the loop then comes round again, even though "OVR" is on, the automation I have recorded
gets wiped out. The notes themselves do not however which is what I expected to happen with the automation too.

Annoying. I know you can't record automation into Clips which is why I'm trying the above which doesn't
work either. From what I can see once you have recorded one lot of automation you are stuck with it. You can't then
add to it on the fly. Turning off Global Record prevents this from happening but then you can't record ANYTHING extra!!

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Gregory Wells-King

Re: Overdubbing Automation In Arrangement View

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Ben,

I used to get confused with that also, but acctually it's simple.

When you wnat to record automation onto a track (i.e overdub automation). you de-select any/all your track record buttons, go back to the start of where you want to start recording automation. hit record on the main transport control and start automating any track you want, and any device in that chain etc etc, normally loads of fun when you have it linked to your favourite controller, (but I don't need to tell you that..Happy Day's) it's in the manual somewhere, but i'm watching t.v and can't be bothered to go and get it.

Cheers.. :wink:

segmentor

Re: Overdubbing Automation In Arrangement View

Post by segmentor » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:26 am

Holy shit. Thank you so much, Gregory Wells-King.