Crashed Session; What do YOU do?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
thefunktopus

Crashed Session; What do YOU do?

Post by thefunktopus » Mon May 17, 2010 6:45 pm

Hey, so I normally back up all my work, saving every time I get something I like recorded, so I don't have to face this problem. But today, I didn't do that and my session crashed. It bugs me to know that there could be harmed data that I am not hearing. What do you all do if your session crashes once, throw it out? Trying to do professional quality work...

Thanks

thefunktopus

Re: Crashed Session; What do YOU do?

Post by thefunktopus » Sun May 23, 2010 10:07 pm

Wow, nobody? what do you do, do you throw it out or what?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun May 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Not sure what you're asking.

I try to remember to hit save after every step I take that changes the project.

The few crashes I've had I just started again from my last save.

thefunktopus

Post by thefunktopus » Thu May 27, 2010 3:13 pm

doghouse wrote:Not sure what you're asking.

I try to remember to hit save after every step I take that changes the project.

The few crashes I've had I just started again from my last save.
I'm talking about when a set.crashes and you start it back.up.and.it. recovers your work. Happens to me a lot when I'm working on on a larger size track. Sorry for any mispunctuation, trying to het get a hold.of this new touchscreen phone..

omutumo

Post by omutumo » Thu May 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Do you use the undo feature in ableton? If so, you shouldn't have a problem just restarting a crashed set because it basically just recovers your work from the undo history. I only get seriously pissed off when the thing that crashed my set is immediately active when I try to recover... resulting in an impossible loop of crashes :(

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu May 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Try not to harm anyone within striking distance.. reboot and back at it? ;)

For the most part the crash recovery works well and most of your data should be intact.. I've had some times where the last bit of automation I did, or moving/copying a clip to another spot might not be restored when I reload Live. I've had other times where an hour + worth of work has gone completely down the drain with no hope of recovery. Luckily it's been more consistent for any crashes I've had lately.

thefunktopus

Post by thefunktopus » Fri May 28, 2010 5:27 am

cotdagoo wrote:Try not to harm anyone within striking distance.. reboot and back at it? ;)

For the most part the crash recovery works well and most of your data should be intact.. I've had some times where the last bit of automation I did, or moving/copying a clip to another spot might not be restored when I reload Live. I've had other times where an hour + worth of work has gone completely down the drain with no hope of recovery. Luckily it's been more consistent for any crashes I've had lately.

Yea see this is what im talking about. That bugs the crap out of to know that some small random details could be altered somehow.
When im making a track, i try to trust the original way i hear something and then lay it down. But u listen to it over and.over enuff and its easy to second guess yourself. Anyway if some small automation gets erased, i may not be able to put my finger on, but something may feel.off. Or am i just second guessing myself again?
Maybe thats just me.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri May 28, 2010 1:56 pm

thefunktopus wrote:
cotdagoo wrote:Try not to harm anyone within striking distance.. reboot and back at it? ;)

Yea see this is what im talking about. That bugs the crap out of to know that some small random details could be altered somehow.
When im making a track, i try to trust the original way i hear something and then lay it down. But u listen to it over and.over enuff and its easy to second guess yourself. Anyway if some small automation gets erased, i may not be able to put my finger on, but something may feel.off. Or am i just second guessing myself again?
Maybe thats just me.
Agreed. Bugs me too! I do a lot of mixing/mastering stuff as I work rather than saving it for the end. Spending an hour tweaking eqs, compression, fx, etc so sounds will sit well in the mix and having ANY of that lost due to a crash is a huge inconvenience and like you said it's hard to tell if something feels, or sounds slightly off when you've been hearing it over and over for hours.

More often than not I'll just try and plow through and get things sounding as best as I can rather than trying to re-do everything exactly. Kinda like laying down an audio take (rather than midi) - it'll force you to move on and not worry about what was, but what could be. It sucks, but c'est la vie!