linking clips in arrangement view, is it possible?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
tiziano88

linking clips in arrangement view, is it possible?

Post by tiziano88 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi everybody
I started using Live not so long ago, but I am already loving it! Though, I still miss some features, like parametric automation curves and LFOs, and I have a question about clips to which you may have the answer!
I mostly use live in arrangement view, and for what I have seen, if I have a clip with looping enabled and extend its length, it will be repeated over and over, so that if I make any modification to the base clip, the repeated versions will be modified the same way, as we expect to be. Now, let's say I have a clip, let's say CLIP1, going on for 2 bars, then CLIP2 for other 2 bars, and then again CLIP1 for 2 bars. What I would like to do is that every time I modify the first instance of CLIP1, the second one gets the same modifications too, so they are actually the same again!
Please, I really appreciate if you can give me any help!
Thank you :)

tiziano88

Re: linking clips in arrangement view, is it possible?

Post by tiziano88 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:54 pm

btw, a friend of mine just showed me that what I am looking for is almost exactly in one of the features of the new Reason version!
http://www.propellerheads.se/reason5/in ... cle=blocks
maybe it can be useful to understand my request

Angstrom

Re: linking clips in arrangement view, is it possible?

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 25, 2010 2:11 pm

I like the look of this blocks thing, its similar to something I've been asking for, because no, Live doesn't have anything like that.
If you search for Metaclips, or group-clips you'll see some old discussions, but sadly - the individual "clip" is the largest building block Live has. You can't link them together to trigger or manipulate unless you want to render them into audio chunks.