Filtering out program change events within Live

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ton

Filtering out program change events within Live

Post by ton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:37 am

After the midi signal, in this example, a program change event enters a midi tracks input, is there a way to filter out this program change event within Live? My scenario is as follows: I have an instrument rack with 6 chains in it, each chain contains another synthesizer, now I want to send a program change event only to one of those six instruments, without any effect on the rest five instruments in the complementary chains. Is there a possibility to achieve that, using in best case only Live internal tools? Somehow I am missing another Live device which allows to setup all midi event types which should be blocked by it, then I could simply activate/deactivate this device, to achieve such a functionality. Live does not accept midi vst plugins, which destroys comfortable midi plugin chaining together with Live devices. Any tips and ideas besides the standard answer "Max4Live can do this", meaning a non-Max4Live solution? Thanks in advance.

kleine

Re: Filtering out program change events within Live

Post by kleine » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:45 am

I can´t think of a non M4L way atm but you might use a 3rd party app to filter the events before they enter Live.
You might look into
MAC
http://xmidi.com/apps.html
or
http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
PC
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/MIDI_UT ... &order=Pop

Best,
Christian

ton

Post by ton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:19 am

kleine wrote:I can´t think of a non M4L way atm but you might use a 3rd party app to filter the events before they enter Live.
Yes, but this will not help, as the program change has to enter Live, but only on a single chain, not on all six chains.

Small Critters

Post by Small Critters » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Is there any way you can make the program change message enter a different MIDI track rather than the one that holds the rack? In that case you of course could route it to the desired chain from that second track. Maybe one of the apps Christian suggested can help you MacGyver something along those lines. I'll try and look into that later..

Cheers

ton

Post by ton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Small Critters wrote:Is there any way you can make the program change message enter a different MIDI track rather than the one that holds the rack?
Hmm, let me calculate, having 36 tracks each with 5 additional chains and one instrument per chain, makes all together 36 * 5 = 180 instruments. So I would need extra 180 tracks just for being able to route the program change events correctly. Yes, theoretically this would be possible, but I do not like this solution. Wouldn't those extra 180 midi tracks change the performance of Live, even if you would use them just for these "program change event routings"? I am sure Live developers would not like this "solution", too.

Small Critters

Post by Small Critters » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:08 pm

Nono, I think you got me wrong, sorry if my response was misleading. I did not imply you should go ahead and copy the rack 36 times. What I was thinking about was parsing the MIDI stream before it enters Live, then routing the program change messages to empty MIDI tracks and from there re-routing them to whichever of the six chains of the rack in the original track you see fit, simply using the "MIDI to" boxes. You would still end up with a bunch of MIDI tracks so I admit it's not exactly very elegant, but for God's sake by no means with 180 instruments..

ton

Post by ton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Small Critters wrote:Nono, I think you got me wrong, sorry if my response was misleading. I did not imply you should go ahead and copy the rack 36 times. What I was thinking about was parsing the MIDI stream before it enters Live, then routing the program change messages to empty MIDI tracks and from there re-routing them to whichever of the six chains of the rack in the original track you see fit, simply using the "MIDI to" boxes. You would still end up with a bunch of MIDI tracks so I admit it's not exactly very elegant, but for God's sake by no means with 180 instruments..
No, I understood you correctly, but maybe you did not get my point? :)

Lets forget those 36 tracks, because I use 36 tracks, but lets keep it at one single track, that you can understand me. :D

If I have 6 chains in that track, how many extra midi tracks will I need to do those "MIDI to" routings to each chain?

Small Critters

Post by Small Critters » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Okay, I see your problem is on a somewhat larger scope than I originally had thought, sorry. I thought you had a limited number of occurences of program change events, say like three over the course of a piece, needed for one rack - of course on a larger scope the solution won't do. Well, only thing that crossed my mind - maybe someone else will have a solution. :)

Stevee00

Post by Stevee00 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:33 pm

I'd like to piggyback on the thread, because I have the same question: Is there a way to filter out control changes, and other MIDI signals, within Live? Either a Live device (I looked but didn't see anything), or a plug-in? I have searched all the links I found in this thread, and a few others. I'm learning MIDI Pipe, but that's not a plugin.

Am I missing something obvious in Live?

My first reason for doing this is because I'm using a piano that stupidly sends program changes when I push a button to change a patch on the keyboard. But I'd also like to have more control over the MIDI signals going in and out of live (I use Live to mix and control a number of outboard synths).

(BTW, the piano is the Casio Privia PX-330. Fantastic onboard sounds, good action, and the lightest 88-key piano you can buy.)

Steve
Thin Air Music
ThinAirMusic.com
Ableton 8.2 Suite, Macbook Pro i7, 88-key Roland RD300, U-He Zebra, U-He Diva, Motif Rack ES, PadKontrol, NanoKontrol, NanoKey, AirFx.