Recording Guitar / Live Intro / Saffire Pro 24

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
IggyStooge

Recording Guitar / Live Intro / Saffire Pro 24

Post by IggyStooge » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Hello all,

I can't seem to get a good result when recording guitar, I've fiddled around and am convinced I'm not doing something right. It seems like the level is always going into the red and distorting/crackling when it does. Input 1 level on Saffire Pro 24 is set to 4. ASIO buffer size 96, Firewire Latency Medium. I'm switched to background process as recommended. Disabled AntiVirus. This occurs with and without VST's. I'm pretty new to Ableton and recording in general so I'm a bit lost.

My setup is Core2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 4GB Ram, Win7 64. Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Iggy

mode:masters

Re: Recording Guitar / Live Intro / Saffire Pro 24

Post by mode:masters » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:15 am

try increasing your asio buffer a little.

IggyStooge

Post by IggyStooge » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:57 am

I'll try that later today and report back. Thanks.

IggyStooge

Post by IggyStooge » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Ok I've tried increasing the buffer size, tried all sizes between 96 and 1024 and its makes no difference.

Post by mode:masters » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:00 am

Ok, so is the VU meter on the Sapphire going into the red when you're playing? If so you need to reduce the input volume.

Also, is this electric acoustic or just electric guitar? Going through an amp first or straight in to the Sapphire?

IggyStooge

Post by IggyStooge » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:24 am

I've been using an Electro Acoustic to test but will be using an Electric Guitar too. Theyre going directly into the Saffire. The level on the Saffire and in Mix Control does go into the red. When you say input volume do you mean the volume on the instrument? or the level control on the Saffire (currently set to 4)?

Post by mode:masters » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:35 am

Ok, well sounds like you need to turn down the Sapphire input volume a bit if you're peaking into the red, although a setting of 4 is pretty low already, your guitar must have quite a high output. Check the settings on you guitar too, sometime electic acoustics can sound really bad if the EQ on them isn't set right, but i suspect your main issue is the volume.

What settings are you recording on as well 44.1KHz/16bit or higher than that?

Are you getting crackling at any other times, like when your just using Live and not recording external input?

IggyStooge

Post by IggyStooge » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:02 am

I think I have been setting the level too high (I naturally thought around 7 would be about right). I've managed to stop it going into the red. Should I be aiming to just light the 3 green lights on the saffire, avoiding the amber and red?

I have been recording at 24bit/48khz. Theres no other problems within ableton other than frequent crashes using certain 3rd party VST's which I guess is just compatiblity issues.

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:56 pm

perhaps you should check the Saffire MixControl window for your preamp settings.

from the manual:
When connecting a Microphone to the Saffire Pro 24, you must connect an XLR cable to the Combi inputs on the front panel. When
connecting either Line level signal or Instrument signal to the combi inputs, you must select either Line or Inst from the preamp
section.
and
Additional Line level signals can be connected to inputs 3 and 4 on the rear of the unit. The Preamp gain for Inputs 3 and 4 can be set
to either Lo (low) or Hi (high) gain. The maximum input level before the signal will clip for each setting is as follows:
Low Gain: 0dBFS = +16dBu
High Gain: 0dBFS = -10dBV (~-6dBu)
"Inst" is the correct setting for string instrument (HI-Z) direct recording.
(just ignore this comment if you already did this ;-))
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

IggyStooge

Post by IggyStooge » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm only using imput 1 and have it set to inst. Without any effects with my Electric Guitar I can have the level set to 6 without it going into the red. On the Acoustic I'd say 4 or 5. When I add effects I'll need to lower it. I think for some reason I was expecting to have it on 7 or 8 no matter what which obviously isnt the case.

Can anyone recommend some decent guitar effects software that I can try out with a view to purchasing, one without a ridiculous pricetag preferably. I've just tried Amplitube 3 but I get alot of crackling and unpleasant noise so dont think I'll be going for that. Cheers.

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:46 pm

get a demo of
Guitar Rig 4 http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... essential/
or
vandalamps http://www.vandalamps.com/en/#
and check if you have the same issues. If so, then there might be another reason for your problems.
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

Post by mode:masters » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:49 am

Yeah Guitar Rig for sure.

IggyStooge

Post by IggyStooge » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Well I've tried Guitar Rig and its the only one I've actually been really impressed with. I'm just wondering is it normal that I should get a certain amount of buzzing with certain effects, most noticable when not playing. I've had buzzing or worse on all the ones Ive tried, really bad on Amplitube. Just dont know if its normal or if theres something wrong somewhere?