recorded audio with quantization on by mistake, what now?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
CloudyJim

recorded audio with quantization on by mistake, what now?

Post by CloudyJim » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:52 pm

I recorded a performance and everything is glitchy and slowed down. Record Quantization was set to "Sixteenth Note". I really really need to salvage this recording. Is there any way to do so or is the recording ruined?

Small Critters

Re: recorded audio with quantization on by mistake, what now?

Post by Small Critters » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:07 pm

Hey,

did you record MIDI? Record quantization only affects recorded MIDI data. If that is the case, you could undo Record quantization from the Edit menu, however only if you haven't yet saved the project.

However, your description sounds more like you forgot to turn "Warp" off in your recorded clip's settings, which would explain the glitches and the slowness (neither should appear with quantized MIDI notes in the strict sense unless you are having problems elsewhere). Sorry if that's too easy. If this is the case, note that the Record quantization options have nothing to do with it - audio and MIDI are different realms.

CloudyJim

Post by CloudyJim » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Small Critters wrote:Hey,

did you record MIDI? Record quantization only affects recorded MIDI data. If that is the case, you could undo Record quantization from the Edit menu, however only if you haven't yet saved the project.

However, your description sounds more like you forgot to turn "Warp" off in your recorded clip's settings, which would explain the glitches and the slowness (neither should appear with quantized MIDI notes in the strict sense unless you are having problems elsewhere). Sorry if that's too easy. If this is the case, note that the Record quantization options have nothing to do with it - audio and MIDI are different realms.

Ok, so if warp was on in the clip's settings, is the track ruined? It's weird because I've used Ableton before with this same setup. I simply insert an audio track and record. Never had this problem.

Small Critters

Post by Small Critters » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:18 pm

No - try turning off Warp in the clip settings _now_, after the recording. My guess was that you changed the speed of the project and Live auto-warps longer clips by default, so there you go. See if the glitching and speed issues disappear after switching "Warp" off. Again, apologies if that's too simple.

If you did record audio however, Record quantization definitely has nothing to do with it.

CloudyJim

Post by CloudyJim » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Small Critters wrote:No - try turning off Warp in the clip settings _now_, after the recording. My guess was that you changed the speed of the project and Live auto-warps longer clips by default, so there you go. See if the glitching and speed issues disappear after switching "Warp" off. Again, apologies if that's too simple.

If you did record audio however, Record quantization definitely has nothing to do with it.
Switching WARP off still sounds bad. It still sounds like it's dragging slightly and there's a weird static. I tried playing the WAV outside of LIVE (with VLC media player) and I get the same results.

Small Critters

Post by Small Critters » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Okay. Sounds like your recording should indeed be tough to save then, or pretty much impossible since the clean WAV file has issues already.. Sorry.. Must have been problems on recording then. Did you just play the WAV that Live saved in the project or did you export it first to listen to it in VLC? Try doing to former to be 100% sure whether or not the recording is lost.. Should be located in YouProjectFolder\Samples\Recorded.

Just out of curiosity, what did you record exactly? Did you resample or record external input?

CloudyJim

Post by CloudyJim » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Small Critters wrote:Okay. Sounds like your recording should indeed be tough to save then, or pretty much impossible since the clean WAV file has issues already.. Sorry.. Must have been problems on recording then. Did you just play the WAV that Live saved in the project or did you export it first to listen to it in VLC? Try doing to former to be 100% sure whether or not the recording is lost.. Should be located in YouProjectFolder\Samples\Recorded.

Just out of curiosity, what did you record exactly? Did you resample or record external input?
I didn't export it. I listened to the clip "0013 2-Audio.wav" directly. The recording was of my band's performance, last night. I used a stereo set of Rode condensor mics through an EMU 1616m. Thanks for trying to help. I wish I knew what went wrong.

Small Critters

Post by Small Critters » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Not for that.. The only thing I can think of at the moment are CPU issues, but I guess you have that part covered. Tried recording anything since then? Other than that, let's wait for more answers..

CloudyJim

Post by CloudyJim » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:05 pm

bump, still hoping someone can help.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:33 pm

I think what they're saying is if you checked the raw recording (i.e. with warping off) and it still sounds f'd then that's probably it, short of attempting some kind of reconstruction on the audio. It's probably not something Live has done exactly but it might be that it just hasn't recorded right.

Maybe post up a clip if you want some further opinions on what might have occurred?