vst plugin parameter annoyances in 8.1.3

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Bunky Freaks

vst plugin parameter annoyances in 8.1.3

Post by Bunky Freaks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi there,

this overarching topic seems to be deeply rooted and affect several functions of live 8 (this is on WinXP with vst plugins).

1. As it seems with the current 8.1.3 (and some point releases before) the undo function is screwed up. Some plugin parameter changes are not registered in the undo history and therefore can no be made undone. This seems to be linked to the parameter automation "configure" option, because as soon as a plugin parameter is register with the "configure" function it appears in the undo history. This is surely a bug, as I remember that it worked for all plugins in early Live 8 releases.

2. Also why is it that even plugins with less than 128 parameters have to be "configured"? This is really annoying as the fast midi-mapping of former versions is gone. Now one has to tweak every single parameter via configure and then midi/key/macro map it which slows down the work flow if lots of parameters are to be mapped. Since most plugins I use have only 10-30 parameters anyways why not "auto-configuring" them?

3. Then there is an issue with Live forgetting the ranges of macro & midi mapped parameters (remember that issue 2 applies here also). This "forgetting" happens when reloading songs and is a total show stopper. I blasted my ears when some tapedelay went into massive feedback, due to Live loading unrestricted parameter values. Ranges of internal effects are remembered though.

4. Somehow also the "parameter jump bug" (http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1#p1068901) is linked to the configure function. This still is not fixed, though it has been confirmed as bug several month ago.

I am wondering if I am just very unlucky with these things, but at least in my experience the parameter handling in Live 8 currently feels clumsy at best :?

Please look into these issues. Thanks!