Ableton Live rapidly eats CPU

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
nap0130ns010

Ableton Live rapidly eats CPU

Post by nap0130ns010 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Hello, first post here, so go easy!

Technical Specs:

Acer 6930G
3GB Ram
2GB CPU

(ask if too brief)

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra

Having been away from Ableton Live during the exam period (so for about 2/3 months), I am now experiencing the problem where my CPU counter is pretty much taken to +60%, with only about 4 MIDI tracks playing. Beforehand, my laptop/ableton could handle about 10 audio tracks and more before it began noticeably clicking etc.

Though I have not done a lot of testing, I am aware the problem is not my soundcard, since this CPU problem exists even when I use my standard Realtek soundcard.

During the exam period however, I did begin playing some online games and doing some "tweaks" to help them run faster, which may have had an unwanted effect of killing my laptop? I have changed my Nvidia graphics settings to high performance (which was at high quality before).

Apologies if this post is vague, just I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with my laptop and/or Ableton.

Thank you.

dom

Re: Ableton Live rapidly eats CPU

Post by dom » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Actually this is pretty vague - and you're comparing audio to midi tracks.
I suggest looking up the performance test thread in the forum and comparing your results with similar machines shown in the thread.

Best,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

diogo_semedo

Post by diogo_semedo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:41 pm

Another one... I think Ableton must start reviewing this... I have the same problem, as A LOT of Live 8 users.
MacBook Pro 15,4" Dual Core 2,4 Ghz, 4 GB DDR3, xiosynth 49, Live 8.1.3 and .4b, Traktor Scratch Pro, Yamaha HSM80.

nap0130ns010

Post by nap0130ns010 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:30 pm

Dom, I took your advice and tried the performance test, which lead me to find the problem was a battery setting.

This also leads me to ask (rather embarrassingly): Midi or Audio, which takes up the most CPU?