8.1.4 very unstable for me (Now fixed)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Mr F

8.1.4 very unstable for me (Now fixed)

Post by Mr F » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:39 pm

Edit: The fix for this is to be released in to the next release, 8.1.5b2.

Hi.

When I launch ableton 8.1.4, load one of my tracks created from the previous version (8.1.3) and then play, after 30 seconds the audio freeze's in to a stuttering noise and ableton crashes, and CPU hits around 150%. I have deleted all the cfg files to see if it was the usual old corrupt config issue but after restarting and reconfiguring 8.1.4 I still get the same problem.

I've rolled back to 8.1.3 where everything is fine and stable. ;)

Edit: when I try to uninstall 8.1.4 I get the message "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file." Therefore can't uninstall the program either!

One pain I hate the most with ableton is the reconfiguration of my preferences. I have to reset all paths (vst, lib and cache etc...), rebuild all controller info (in's outs for 3 different controllers), rebuild all vst's and then refigure out all my personal preferences. Takes quite a while. It's a very bad experience.
Would be nice to have an import feature that lets you copy the preferences in from a previous version.
Last edited by Mr F on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helpful online tool: Music Calculator

Setup
Ableton Suite 8.2.5
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit
2.83ghz Quad Core
6GB ram
RME Fireface 400 (Fw) 3.047
Novation Launchpad
Novation Remote SL MKII
NI Maschine 1.5
Focusrite Liquid Mix 3.0 (Firewire)

sporkles

Re: 8.1.4 very unstable for me

Post by sporkles » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Mr F wrote: One pain I hate the most with ableton is the reconfiguration of my preferences. I have to reset all paths (vst, lib and cache etc...), rebuild all controller info (in's outs for 3 different controllers), rebuild all vst's and then refigure out all my personal preferences. Takes quite a while. It's a very bad experience.
Would be nice to have an import feature that lets you copy the preferences in from a previous version.
Just don't uninstall the previous version before you install the new one, and everything should be imported.

As for 8.1.4, I'm not impressed yet, but I won't have time to give it a proper run in two weeks.

Mr F

Post by Mr F » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:29 pm

sporkles wrote:
Mr F wrote: One pain I hate the most with ableton is the reconfiguration of my preferences. I have to reset all paths (vst, lib and cache etc...), rebuild all controller info (in's outs for 3 different controllers), rebuild all vst's and then refigure out all my personal preferences. Takes quite a while. It's a very bad experience.
Just don't uninstall the previous version before you install the new one, and everything should be imported.

As for 8.1.4, I'm not impressed yet, but I won't have time to give it a proper run in two weeks.
I didn't uninstall the previous version. I've always played safe with new versions.

Setup
Ableton Suite 8.2.5
2.83ghz Quad Core
6GB ram
Novation Launchpad
Novation Remote SL MKII
NI Maschine 1.5

Mr F

Post by Mr F » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Have managed to fix the uninstall problem on my machine...

For those who get this problem just:

1. Goto the command prompt
2. Change location to the install folder under the ableton 8.1.4 folder. (i.e. cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Ableton\Live 8.1.4\Install)
3. Type "unwise install.log"

That should kick off the uninstall.

----------------------------------------

I have a hunch that this problem happened because an incorrect entry in the registry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Live 8.1.4\UninstallString" points to an incorrect file location "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ableton\LIVE81~1.4\Install\UNWISE.EXE C:\Program Files (x86)\Ableton\LIVE81~1.4\Install\INSTALL.LOG"

Setup
Ableton Suite 8.2.5
2.83ghz Quad Core
6GB ram
Novation Launchpad
Novation Remote SL MKII
NI Maschine 1.5

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Mr F wrote:Hi.

When I launch ableton 8.1.4, load one of my tracks created from the previous version (8.1.3) and then play, after 30 seconds the audio freeze's in to a stuttering noise and ableton crashes. I have deleted all the cfg files to see if it was the usual old corrupt config issue but after restarting and reconfiguring 8.1.4 I still get the same problem.

I've rolled back to 8.1.3 where everything is fine and stable. ;)

Edit: when I try to uninstall 8.1.4 I get the message "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file." Therefore can't uninstall the program either!

One pain I hate the most with ableton is the reconfiguration of my preferences. I have to reset all paths (vst, lib and cache etc...), rebuild all controller info (in's outs for 3 different controllers), rebuild all vst's and then refigure out all my personal preferences. Takes quite a while. It's a very bad experience.
Hello,

Sorry to hear about that. Could you send the set to support@ableton.com, together with a link to this thread?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Mr F

Post by Mr F » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks for replying. Funny enough I sent the project with logs and screenshot yesterday to support@ableton.com
Last edited by Mr F on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr F

Post by Mr F » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:24 pm

Just got a reply from ableton that the fix for this is to be included in the next beta release, 81.5b2.