sticking midi notes

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
luddy

Re: sticking midi notes

Post by luddy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:04 pm

what happens when you play the MIDI track into one of Live's instruments?
-Luddy

jxsbebop

Post by jxsbebop » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:00 pm

I haven't tried that, but I don't think that it will matter because it did the same thing to every MIDI track I had.

If I want to re-record my Cubase MIDI tracks back into Live, couldn't I use rewire?

luddy

Post by luddy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:58 am

jxsbebop wrote:I haven't tried that, but I don't think that it will matter because it did the same thing to every MIDI track I had.
It would help you determine whether there is a problem importing the MIDI tracks versus Live playing them back.

-Luddy

pailo

Post by pailo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:14 am

I bet it is inside the envelope of the midi clip. Once you record sustain there should be a sustain value inside of the midi clip envelope you have recorded in. If you stop ableton, the pedal will usually stay sustained if it has been recorded to the clip to have sustain on, thus giving you infinite sustain. If you have pressed sustain throughout the whole track no matter where in the transport you are, sustain is set to be engaged. also if at frame 56 you have sustain engaged and you stop the track @ frame 56 sustain will be on because in the frame sustain has been automated to stay on.

Don't know if this helps, but the same thing was happening to me and i found it was in the envelope of that midi clip under the sustain cc# at that frame. Hope this helps.

joseph.pailo@gmail.com

jxsbebop

Post by jxsbebop » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:02 pm

I think I may have resolved this, but I want to let it bake to make sure that it is indeed resolved. Thanks to luddy and pailo for your assistance.

I'll update you guys once I have verified that this has been resolved.

rickkeys

Post by rickkeys » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:42 am

i can be playing with live not playing and my sustain peddle sticks

jxsbebop

Post by jxsbebop » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:59 pm

I spent 3 days trying to figure out why my MIDI notes in Ableton Live were getting stuck on or being cut off. There seemed to be a correlation between some aftertouch messages where the MIDI notes were doing weird stuff. The sustain messages were being recorded and it looked correct. I deleted all the aftertouch messages in all my MIDI track in Cubase and exported again, but it didn't make a difference.

I exported my MIDI tracks from Cubase 4.5.2 which played fine. I imported the MIDI file into Ableton Live and upon playback the MIDI notes were still having sustain issues. I tried exported the MIDI file with all sorts of different options. The MIDI file played correctly when playing from Cubase 4.5.2, Cubase 5.5, & Reason 4 so I knew the problem resided with Ableton Live. I copied this Live project to my MacBook Pro and it played fine. So that told me that it's something with Ableton Live on my Neko XXL.

The Solution: change "Port Type" from "MME" to "DirectMusic". If yours is set to "DirectMusic" I would try changing it to "MME".

Let us know if this works for you.

Hope this save someone a lot of time troubleshooting MIDI playback on Ableton Live on Windows for somebody.

rickkeys

Post by rickkeys » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:17 pm

i will give that a try even though i think i did change from MME to Direct music once before and it didn't work , but i will try it again

rickkeys

Post by rickkeys » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:29 pm

gave it a try and it doesn't work . this is a major bug !!!!

jxsbebop

Post by jxsbebop » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Bummer. This worked for me. Are the sustain messages being recorded correctly? That is a big hint as to where the problem is going in to the Live sequencer or playback from the sequencer.

I would try getting a MIDI file that you know is playing correctly from a different DAW and see if it plays back correctly in Live.

rickkeys

Post by rickkeys » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:46 pm

i am still waiting for a fix to this problem ! i have even tried a different midi interface and i still get the sustain pedal sticking . if anybody out there can help me i will indebted to you for life because i do not want to move to a new DAW