more then one controller to a same parameter control

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
kataracte

more then one controller to a same parameter control

Post by kataracte » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:44 pm

hello,

I'd like to control a parameter (for ex. volume or rec on ...)whith more than one controller. How can I do that? I thougt it was easy but it seems to be impossible to affect more then one controller to a same parameter.

for exemple if i want this :

cc1 = rec on track one and two
cc2 = rec on track one and four

Could someone help me?
Thanks

kataracte

Re: more then one controller to a same parameter control

Post by kataracte » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:50 pm

Up,
Nobody coule help me?

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:21 am

what os?

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:51 am

well heres the short answer regardless of os. you can sort of do it. the controls must be mutually inclusive. for example: rec tracks 1 and 2. rec tracks 1,2 and 4. rec tracks 1,2,4,and 6. use piz midi16ccrouter on a midi channel. setup a track data out to remote track in setup via iac or midi yoke and the live midi options tab, depending on your os. the midi channel with midi16cc must always be enabled as "in" on its radio. on the piz interface,cc1 remains itself. cc2 remains itself and converts to cc1. cc3 remains itself and converts to cc2 and cc1. etc etc. now the trick is to midi map in live when each channel remains itself,-before you add the modifiers- otherwise it receives multiple midiccs per mapping and you lose control. so in the end, when you turn/press cc3 it well go to piz add the messages for cc1 and cc2, send out on the iac/myoke track out get adjusted to the iac/myoke remote track in which is coincidentally the remote midi mapping of the 3 buttons/knobs you wanted to turn on or adjust. or just use max for live

kataracte

Post by kataracte » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:07 am

Thank you for your answer.
I didn't know pizmidi, it seems to be very usefull, i'm gonna try this plugin.
I thought it was easier to do this kind of simple midi routing in ableton.

Why two different controllers can't manage the same parameter? Perhaps there're some conflict.

kataracte

Post by kataracte » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:59 pm

In fact, changing the midi canal of the controller don't solve the problem because each parameter in live could only accept one cc midi affectation.
I thing that even if i've had maxforlive and build a patch the problem would be the same.

For exemple if i use a masterkeyboard as a remotecontrol, i can affect D#3 to rec1 but then i can't affect rec1 to a other cc anymore, even if i have all the other notes of my masterkeyboard under control.

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:39 pm

right. its modulating incoming cc's to other cc's is the trick. but it only works if live is reading remote data from an iac/myoke driver. i guess my explanation wasn't good. midi channels have nothing to with what i was saying.

Crabbit

Post by Crabbit » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:09 pm

I'd like this feature too. But I'd like to be able to map controller buttons to a continuous parameter. (I want to have my APC20 (in note mode) trigger different settings of the Grid parameter of a Beat Repeat.

For example: Note C1 = 1/32, Note C#1 = 1/8, Note D1 = 1/6... etc.

I'm sure I saw this done in Novation's demo of the Launchpad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-tt5tZimY
(about 1:25 as an example)

Am I missing something obvious or is that effect being achieved in a different way on the Launchpad video?

kataracte

Post by kataracte » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:50 pm

I don't have a APC but if you want that a note change a parameter, there's no problem.
The problem is just that a a parameter in Live can't be controlled by more then one controller :
Exemple if C1 control Rec on track one, no other controller can be affected this fonction!

In other programs like Audiomulch, you can do that easily.
C1 = volume 0 on track one and rec on, on track two
C2 = volume 127 on track one and rec off on track two
C3 = volume 50 on track one and rec off on track one and rec on on track tree ....

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:30 pm

Crabbit wrote:But I'd like to be able to map controller buttons to a continuous parameter. (I want to have my APC20 (in note mode) trigger different settings of the Grid parameter of a Beat Repeat.

For example: Note C1 = 1/32, Note C#1 = 1/8, Note D1 = 1/6... etc.
You can map the beat repeat's GRID knob to a range of keys/buttons/pads simply by going into MIDI map mode and holding down the first note then pressing the last note at the same time. The first note will trigger the lowest grid value, the last note will trigger the highest grid value and the other notes will trigger everything in between.

Crabbit

Post by Crabbit » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:18 pm

dentaku wrote:You can map the beat repeat's GRID knob to a range of keys/buttons/pads simply by going into MIDI map mode and holding down the first note then pressing the last note at the same time. The first note will trigger the lowest grid value, the last note will trigger the highest grid value and the other notes will trigger everything in between.
Thanks man. That'll do the job just fine. :)

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:13 am

You can change the MIN and MAX values of it too because you probably don't want it to go way down to 1/256 or way up to 1/1.
Crabbit wrote:
dentaku wrote:You can map the beat repeat's GRID knob to a range of keys/buttons/pads simply by going into MIDI map mode and holding down the first note then pressing the last note at the same time. The first note will trigger the lowest grid value, the last note will trigger the highest grid value and the other notes will trigger everything in between.
Thanks man. That'll do the job just fine. :)