Selection shift/extension shonky

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Badger123

Selection shift/extension shonky

Post by Badger123 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 am

Hello moderators, for it is you who can answer this:

There's an excellent feature that allows you to select an area across one track and then using the up/down arrows move the selected range to an "adjacent" track or extend it to an "adjacent" track with the shift and up/down arrows. But it works in this shonky way where "adjacent" is in fact a random place further up or down or no track at all until you've pressed the up/down keys a few times. What is the reason for this and can I get round it. I'm using 8.1.1 by the way.

Many thanks for your time and an amazing program.

Badger123

Re: Selection shift/extension shonky

Post by Badger123 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:14 pm

Can anyone confirm this behaviour? - I'm finding it's still there in 8.1.5.

If I select a clip and move the selection with the up/down arrows, it doesn't move to an adjacent track. I think it moves to the last track the selection was moved to instead. Drag-selecting an area and moving that works as expected but moving areas defined by clips doesn't.

Badger123

Post by Badger123 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:13 am

Moving selection still random in the same way in 8.2

I guess this only occurs when not working to a grid. I never work to a grid so it affects me. Talking to myself it seems...

Badger123

Post by Badger123 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:26 am

Hi there thanks for replying.

The feature is the one that allows you to select a length of time in the arrange window either by selecting a clip there or by dragging and then apply that exact amount of time to clips on another track by pressing the up or down keys. When working not to a grid this allows material to be edited in the arrange view and then looped in session view accurately. So I do a lot of moving selections between tracks in order to consolidate audio and midi. It works when a drag selection is made on one track and then moved but when I create a time selection length by clicking on a clip and then use the up and down arrows the selection doesn't jump to the adjacent track in a predictable way so the feature is a bit fiddly.

Hope that makes sense. The rest of the editing in the arrange has improved with version 8 with the ability to move the cursor to the next clip start/end with the forward and back arrows or extend selections with the addition of shift. It feels like the above feature is almost part of this new pro-tools-like simplicity but not quite.

All the best