Launchpad, M4L and MIDI CC #16

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Korhan

Launchpad, M4L and MIDI CC #16

Post by Korhan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:52 am

Hi there,

I have encountered a strange issue with Launchpad. I have this set made in Live 8.1.4. It's a very complex set with 20+ channels, each containing instruments designed by me. These instruments are controlled with MIDI messages coming from Wiimotes and and iPod Touch. I have also two simple M4L devices on two tracks that allow me to control some parameters on those tracks with OSC from the iPod Touch. The set normally does not utilize the Launchpad in any specific way.

Yesterday, I loaded this set for the first time with Launchpad connected. One of the pads on the Launchpad started blinking (in session mode), along with Live's Remote MIDI in/out lights. There was nothing sending MIDI to Live (in fact, LP was the only MIDI controller connected). I tried to go into MIDI Edit mode. I clicked on a parameter to see what MIDI message was being sent to Live - it was Controller 16 on channel 1. After seeing this, I disconnected LP, went back to MIDI edit and deleted all MIDI assignments of CC16. Reconnected LP and saw that the blinking disappeared, but the pad remained on, even though there is no clip assigned to that slot. In fact when I scroll around in session view, that pad remains on all the time.

Has anyone seen anything like this? How do I stop this?

Thanks

Korhan
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

Korhan

Re: Launchpad, M4L and MIDI CC #16

Post by Korhan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:00 am

This set is a combination of two earlier sets. I loaded both of those earlier sets to check and LP behaved normally. Then I loaded the problematic set, deleted the M4L plugins (which contained udpreceive and several live.path, live.observe and live.remote objects), saved it and reloaded it. The problem is still there....
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:05 am

I have seen stuff like this. I don't know how to stop it.

I use a wiimote/osculator and a launchpad. Launchpad starts blinking under certain conditions. I couldn't narrow it down until now. Had that happen a lot during live-shows. I usually point then at the launchpad because it blinks so cool. Then I pull the plug. Looks very nerdy during liveshows, all this cable-business.

Thanks for the hint with midd cc 16, I will check that out.

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:13 am

Hi Pepezabala,

yes midi cc 16 is special for LP and it wants to protect it from harm, I guess. :))) I will send this thread to Ableton Support.