kontrol x1 encoders eratic behaviour, mapped to Live Devices

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
audiovoid

kontrol x1 encoders eratic behaviour, mapped to Live Devices

Post by audiovoid » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:41 pm

When I map any of the kontrol x1 (in midi mode of course) endless encoders to any Knob or slider in Live the control behaviour is less than satisfying. You have to crank the encoder over and over again only to have the onscreen knob inch along at tiny increments.

The x1's control editor software is really easy and straightforward and i've tried the 3 different options being Absolute, Relative, and relative Offset but they all yield Non usable results.

I have also tried all of Live's built in control modes (in the lower left hand corner when in midi map mode) and they all don't really work except for One which only KIND of Works. It's the Bin Offset Mode. But even then it's backwards and even though I can just invert the range to bring that part back to normal, the whole thing now jumps in HUGE increments.

I have a feeling that there must be some magical combination of control modes that I need to use between programming the x1 via control editor and then choosing an acompanying mode in live but I just don't know. If there's any Hardware Midi control Editing Guru's reading this that know what I am talking about Please let me know.

ps. btw, I had a very similar problem with the encoders on my m-audio axiom 49 which was pretty easily fixed by adjusting it's built in "encoder acceleration" feature. However, the Traktor Kontrol X1 does not have this feature in it's editor (or if it does it's hidden or called something different).
Thanks in advance
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

audiovoid

Re: kontrol x1 encoders eratic behaviour, mapped to Live Devices

Post by audiovoid » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Last edited by audiovoid on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Anybody?
I find it really hard to believe that I am the only one having problems with certain endless rotary encoders in Live.
As I said before. The closest I can get to normal behaviour is by changing live's controller message type to "Relative (Bin Offset)" but then the Parameter jumps are way too Extreme! Any help please?
This is beyond annoying
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

smilinggoat

Post by smilinggoat » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:33 am

I have a similar issue, audiovoid. Ever find a solution?

smilinggoat

Post by smilinggoat » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Ah ha! Finally figured it out. You have to enable MIDI remote control for the Kontrol X1.

Live -> Prefs -> MIDI Sync -> MIDI Ports -> Input: Traktor Kontrol X1 -> Remote On

Then you can edit your controllers in the NI Controller Editor to your heart's content.

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:06 am

smilinggoat wrote:I have a similar issue, audiovoid. Ever find a solution?
Nope Still Havn't figured it out. will definitely post when / If I do though.
smilinggoat wrote:Ah ha! Finally figured it out. You have to enable MIDI remote control for the Kontrol X1.

Live -> Prefs -> MIDI Sync -> MIDI Ports -> Input: Traktor Kontrol X1 -> Remote On

Then you can edit your controllers in the NI Controller Editor to your heart's content.
That dosn't answer the question or issue here. That is just standard midi preferences setup in Live.
What were talking about is how 'Exactly' to Edit these X1 endless encoders to make them behave properly. Properly meaning,not jumping all over the place, or having to crank the knob just to have the onscreen control move in tiny increments
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:41 am

well it might be a bit more complex than you think then ,it might a problem with the value but it's must be in the softwre taht communicate between your x-control and ableton,i think it's written in file.xml like a TSI but you need to check with your midi controller support team.
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
MBP i5 2.3Gh 8GB 500SSD, 1TB HDD
Sierra Suite 9.7 Edirol FA101
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1
Ipad Air, Alesis I/O dock, NI S4 & F1
http://soundcloud.com/dr_goldsylver-fastfinger

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:09 pm

tregouetsylvain@yahoo.fr wrote:well it might be a bit more complex than you think then ,it might a problem with the value but it's must be in the softwre taht communicate between your x-control and ableton,i think it's written in file.xml like a TSI but you need to check with your midi controller support team.
Thanks for the reply. Yea Ive been all over the Ni forums as well as others and No Love. I don't know if just not that many people are even using this great controller with Ableton Yet or what? But Everything on it is Tight and Flawless except for the encoders which just completely misbehave in Live.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

smilinggoat

Post by smilinggoat » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 pm

audiovoid wrote:That dosn't answer the question or issue here. That is just standard midi preferences setup in Live.
What were talking about is how 'Exactly' to Edit these X1 endless encoders to make them behave properly. Properly meaning,not jumping all over the place, or having to crank the knob just to have the onscreen control move in tiny increments
Curious part is that for me, some controllers worked simply having the "Track" MIDI control enabled, but then "Remote" MIDI control opened up other controls.

I've found that the knobs, encoders, and buttons on the left side of the unit work fine, but that the knobs, encoders, and buttons on the right side are unreliable. Peculiar and frustrating.

I love using the X1 in Traktor and it's got just the right layout for some of the performance control I do in Live. There's got to be some sort of fix.

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:30 pm

smilinggoat wrote:
audiovoid wrote:That dosn't answer the question or issue here. That is just standard midi preferences setup in Live.
Curious part is that for me, some controllers worked simply having the "Track" MIDI control enabled, but then "Remote" MIDI control opened up other controls.

I've found that the knobs, encoders, and buttons on the left side of the unit work fine, but that the knobs, encoders, and buttons on the right side are unreliable. Peculiar and frustrating.

I love using the X1 in Traktor and it's got just the right layout for some of the performance control I do in Live. There's got to be some sort of fix.

huh. one side eh? that IS a strange problem
I hope somebody else can chime in and drop some knowledge on Bofe Us:)
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

i forgot

Post by i forgot » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:56 am

Hi Guys, I usually control Ableton with TouchOSC but I would like to start using the Kontrol X1 (actually 2 of them)
There is things that I can't midi map like for example when I want to select a clip/track. I could do it with the mouse but I can't midi map that. I guess I have to learn how to create my own template in Controller Editor the same way I learned Osculator for TouchOSC?
Can anybody please orient me about where I can learn or search for instructions on how to make midi assignments in live with the Kontrol X1 thru Controller Editor, or may be for starters where can I get any template that works?

Thanks for the help in advance