Automap 3.5 with Live 8.1.5 Remote SL Connected (offline)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
touched1

Automap 3.5 with Live 8.1.5 Remote SL Connected (offline)

Post by touched1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:08 am

I don't recall this being an issue before upgrading to OS 10.6. But Autopmap 3.5 does not work correctly with Ableton Live 8.1.4/8.1.5. Automap shows "One client connected - ReMOTE SL connected (offline). While this functions fine as a transport or controlling the mixer, it does not control plugins the way it should.

Changing to template 38 on the Remote SL brings the SL "online" but does not have the automap advantages that Live Automap on template 40 has.

I see lots of similar grumblings about this here, but no resolution and very little posted in the last 6 or so months in the results I found.

I have followed instructions on the the Novation site, (deleting/readding the device in Audio MIDI setup etc...) to no avail.

Suggestions/direction appreciated.

Mac OS 10.6.4
Remote SL 25
Automap 3.5
Ableton Live
http://teledubgnosis.com/
http://www.myspace.com/teledubgnosis
Apple OS 10.5.8/8 Core 3.0 Mac Pro 9GB RAM/MacBook Pro 2.16 2 GB RAM/Metric-Halo 2882 +DSP & ULN-8/Behringer BCR and BCF 2000/Korg Pad Kontrol/Novation ReMote 25 SL

twisted-space

Re: Automap 3.5 with Live 8.1.5 Remote SL Connected (offline)

Post by twisted-space » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:27 am

That's how it should behave, at least using a Remote SL mk1. Template 38 is for Novation Automap, Template 40 is for Live's native mapping. You can't use both sets of functions at the same time, you have to switch between the 2 templates.

touched1

Post by touched1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks for the reply twisted. I think you misunderstood my post. I was not attempting to use both modes (templates 38 and 40) at the same time, I don't even know how one would do that!?!

This is not how it is supposed to behave. When template 40 is selected it should be automapping plugs to the Remote SL. It's not. Something in my configuration has changed because this worked before.

I have an email off to Novation support, I'll post back when I hear from them.

Thanks again.
Apple OS 10.5.8/8 Core 3.0 Mac Pro 9GB RAM/MacBook Pro 2.16 2 GB RAM/Metric-Halo 2882 +DSP & ULN-8/Behringer BCR and BCF 2000/Korg Pad Kontrol/Novation ReMote 25 SL

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Template 40 has nothing to do with automap. When in template 40 on the SL, automap should show "One client connected - ReMOTE SL connected (offline)". This is working correctly (does the same on mine).

I think you mean that when in template 40, Live doesn't map the 8 encoders on the SL to macro's or device parameters.
If so have you checked Live's control surface midi port settings, Remote SL both in and out should be set to port 2 on the SL.

If that's set correctly, you could try re-installing the SL drivers and OS.

touched1

Post by touched1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:02 am

Thanks for checking back twisted.
Live is set up correctly. The SL does not require drivers that I am aware of on the Mac. Automap has been reinstalled. I could be wrong, but I doubt reinstalling the OS is the fix... I prefer to explore other solutions before going down that road.

Good to know that the Automap server is working the same on your machine (connected-offline).

Whatever you want to call it, automapping, or just magically assigning the rotary encoders to plug in parameters, when template 40 is selected, it is not "automatically mapping" itself to the parameters of a selected plug in.

Got a generic but fairly quick reply from Novation today. I'll post back what I find.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 am

Just to be clear, I meant the os (I should have said firmware) on the remote sl, not the os on your mac!
When you update the firmware, it also updates the factory templates.

vicz

Post by vicz » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Working fine for me Automap pro 3.5 Live 8.1.5 OSX 10.6.4 Remote sl61 mk 1.

On template 40 after starting Live I get 'Please select a device in Live to edit it...' in the left hand lcd and the session view tracks in the right hand lcd. Any Live instrument racks loaded have their 8 macro knobs automapped to the top 8 encoders on the left hand side when the track is selected.

If this is not happening for you it may be worth reloading the SL firmware as suggested by twisted, but I would expect the problem is with your midi port mappings, either in Live's preferences or in the SL global settings.

touched1

Post by touched1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification and feedback guys... Reloading SL OS is a good suggestion and much more reasonable than Mac OS :D

Upon further investigation, some plugs are mapping themselves while others are not... I think it has to do with the "configure" tab that appears in the generic Live GUI for 3rd party plugs.

It is weird though. For instance I use mostly UAD plugs, the EMT140 maps itself automatically to the encoders, the Neve comp, or EQ's do not.... roughly the same tweakable parameters or less in the plugs that are not self mapping.

It's tough to investigate during the work week, this will probably have to wait until the weekend for me to troubleshoot further.
But thanks again for the suggestions.

vicz

Post by vicz » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:04 pm

OK well the Novation view is that once you want to control a plugin you should switch to template 38. You can then map controls from the Automap HUD to controls on the plugin - multiple pages if you like. Once you have done this, next time you select the plugin and switch to template 38 it will automap all of the controls. So template 40 for Live's mixer and instruments, template 38 for VST and AU plugins. There are pre-built HUD mappings for a few common plugins but not many. It is a pain having to map controls manually first time, and having to switch between 38 and 40, but that's how it is. Other more Automap-integrated DAWs, such as Logic, avoid having to do this.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 pm

touched1 wrote: think it has to do with the "configure" tab that appears in the generic Live GUI for 3rd party plugs.
Live only populates the controls for plug ins if there are less than (I think) 32 parameters available. You can change this to populate up to 128 using the options.txt file.

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:21 am

I'm stuck around where the o.p. was.

I am missing an entry in my Live Prefs called: automap midi, which is described in the setup documents. Is it still supposed to be there? I have several midi devices, is there a maximum number supported in Live?
OK well the Novation view is that once you want to control a plugin you should switch to template 38.

When I run Ableton with one track, and an Automap version of FM8, and switch to template 38, the remote sl does not recognize automap. It is dead.

I've reinstalled automap; this is on osx 10.6, live 8.13. I guess I should update Live...

e.

vicz

Post by vicz » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:27 pm

You need to make sure you have the very latest version of automap 3.5 from Novationmusic website. Prior to this you had to 'wrap' the plugin using automap plugin manager. There is an updated DAW setup guide (access from the HUD) guide which explains the new midi port names and how to set them up in Live - they changed quite a bit from 3.4

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks for the reply;
There is an updated DAW setup guide (access from the HUD)
One of the signs that things are screwed up is that nothing happens when I click the DAW setup button in hud...ok I know why, I might as well document it here: I had moved my automap.app into a subfolder, which broke something.

I am following the guide...I do not have a device listed called Automap, in Live.

I think I'll remove some of my other midi devices before reinstalling Live.

Getting better, I suppose.

Cheers,

e.

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Hey - it's working. Not sure which combination of fixes worked, but all is well.

Thanks for being there,

e.