Software regression in arrangement playback (not)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
leinad

Software regression in arrangement playback (not)

Post by leinad » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:12 pm

There's an issue here which wasn't there before.

In arrangement view, playback is stopped.

Occassionaly, more often than not (it's not random though):

If I click anywhere on the timeline bar which is above the tracks, the one where the locators are placed, in order to start playback from a specific time in the visible timeline, then the playback starts immediately from the clicked point, but the marker starts blinking, so that after the bar has finished, playback jumps back to the marker and plays that segment again.
Last edited by leinad on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8.1, Windows 7 (32 bit)

0fps

Re: Software regression in arrangement playback

Post by 0fps » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:11 pm

You hold the click button or your mouse is f%$^cked up
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

leinad

Post by leinad » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:18 pm

0fps wrote:You hold the click button or your mouse is f%$^cked up
I'm using a Wacom Tablet, I've never had this issue before.
8.1, Windows 7 (32 bit)

0fps

Post by 0fps » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 pm

If the green marker is blinking then something similar happens. Try clicking into a grid line (yellow solid line) and initiate playback instead of the scrub area (above tracks).
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

leinad

Post by leinad » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:11 pm

0fps wrote:If the green marker is blinking then something similar happens. Try clicking into a grid line (yellow solid line) and initiate playback instead of the scrub area (above tracks).
I just found out where the problem resides.

When I click on the scrub area, during the mouse down event the playback is initiated.
As soon as I do a mouse move with the button still clicked, the new position is queued to be the next "jump to after bar finishes", and that point happens to be extremly close to the original mouse down.

The issue is that with tablets, you usually move the pen a pixel or so while clicking and releasing, since the sensor is not exactly at the tip of the pen, but about a cm above the tablet, therefore magnifying pen movements a lot.

With a mouse you just don't have the problem, since it's very stable on the desk when you click the button.

I think that adding a threshold to the mouse movement during a press event would be adecuate, because it's quite difficult to get it right with a pen. Just like any OS, they always allow the mouse/pen to move a couple of pixels before considering the action to be a drag event.
8.1, Windows 7 (32 bit)