How to render a certain loop directly in Ableton

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
nicolash

How to render a certain loop directly in Ableton

Post by nicolash » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:56 am

Hi guys

I have a track in ableton where i took a loop and put a lot of effects on it.
What i now want to do is to render this small loop to a audio file in ableton, so i can play around with in ableton and chop it up. I know i can export it from the file menu.
But It would be alot easier if i can just select a small part of a track (midi or audio with fx on it), and then convert that small area to an audio file right in ableton, so i can play around with (not having to first export, and then import the saved sample)
Does that make sense? And is it possible?

[mka]

Re: How to render a certain loop directly in Ableton

Post by [mka] » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi,

you can try the following:

- open the clip view
- change length of the clip (start and end marker)
- select "Crop Sample" for audio clips and "Crop Clip" for MIDI clips in the context menu of the clip view (right click on the waveform/ piano roll background)

-> this will create a new clip of the selected length

You can also undo this action to try anther variant. You will find all (audio) variants by clicking "Show in Browser" in the context menu of one clip.

Best Regards,
Marian

nicolash

Post by nicolash » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Marian.
I just tried your tip, but it only cuts the length down, and doesn't transform it into an audio file. For example if im working on a midi clip, i want to convert that into an audio file in ableton (not one that i have to export, and then import it in afterwards)
Pretty much just the input of a channel but transformed to an audio file. Same as i would render a track with Export as Audio in File, but just without having to import it in afterwards again. Is that possible?

[mka]

Post by [mka] » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:16 pm

You're right! New audio clips are only created when cropping audio files and MIDI clips retain MIDI clips.

If you want to render MIDI clips into audio clips you still need to record the audio output of your MIDI device.
I would suggest to record your MIDI source once into an audio track and then perform the loop-cut-action with the resulting audio clip.

Best Regards,
Marian

nicolash

Post by nicolash » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:39 pm

Is it possible to send the audio from one channel to the input of another channel, and then recording that signal? That way you would have the audio signal of your midi channel.
Hope that is possible, as it would make it alot easier for me :)

kleine

Post by kleine » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:45 pm

nicolash wrote:Is it possible to send the audio from one channel to the input of another channel, and then recording that signal? That way you would have the audio signal of your midi channel.
Hope that is possible, as it would make it alot easier for me :)
Absolutely, just select the output of a track as input in a new audio track and record.
One of my favorite things to do.

Note: This is of course only possible if your MIDI Track contains some audio generating instrument.

Best,
Christian

[mka]

Post by [mka] » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:48 pm

This is of course possible!

Just select the signal source of the desired MIDI track in the "Audio From" chooser of an audio track.

Cheers,
Marian

nicolash

Post by nicolash » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:44 pm

perfect! Thanks alot for the reply guys - i will definitely use this feature alot and play around with this kind of stuff.