bug or limitation when recording with midi clips?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
andy c

bug or limitation when recording with midi clips?

Post by andy c » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Been struggling with this for a few hour today any ideas?
I am working on some gig prep and have a pad sound consisting of two vsti's stacked, I want to use a midi clip containing just an envelope to mix in the second layer as at that point I am playing with both hands. Now this works fine when just playing through the set trigger the clip and the 2nd vsti fades in lovely, but when I then try to record what I am playing into the session page so I can render off a copy for the bloke I work with all is fine till I trigger the automation clip then the whole track drops out. I have tried having the vsti's on separate tracks and also putting all of them in a rack, also using different parameters to control the vol still no joy. If any one has a work round or if I am just barking up the wrong tree with this let me know it's doing my head in!

Ta Andy

0fps

Re: bug or limitation when recording with midi clips?

Post by 0fps » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:34 pm

U have drawn an envelope to control the volume of the 2nd vsti?
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

andy c

Post by andy c » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Yes I need a gentle but hands free 13 bar fade and it works in the clips plane while playing live I just cant (and need too) record the performance into the session so i can render my performance and get it to my partner so he can work on his parts.

0fps

Post by 0fps » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:46 pm

If its an envelope then its already recorded into the session (as a clip's envelope).

U need to record the fade out as audio? I don't really follow u.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

andy c

Post by andy c » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks for looking at this firstly. How i have it set up is like this all on one track 2 stacked vsti's that i need to play live. i start with just one sounding and have (in the same track) programed a midi clip to automate the second vsti's volume so at the push of a controller button the fade starts all while I continue to play the vsti's. This works great just playing while in the clips frame but when I try to hit record and record the performance into the session screen all is fine until I hit the automation clip then instead of fading in just the second vsti it kills the volume on the whole track with no fade. All this only happen when I have engaged the main record button in live (8-1-5).

0fps

Post by 0fps » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:16 pm

Which envelope have u modified in the MIDI clip u use for fade out? U want to write the performance as audio or MIDI?

andy c

Post by andy c » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:51 pm

Tried automating anything that would have an effect on the vol chain vol, output level on the vsti, all works when just playing it through but not when recording into the session plane. It will be recorded as midi with a bit of extra midi automation to control the fade.

0fps

Post by 0fps » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:25 pm

What is the session plane. I am trying to understand and help...

andy c

Post by andy c » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Sorry it might not actually called the session view, but it is the page that looks more linear like logic or pro tools. I normally record into that to finish a production.

andy c

Post by andy c » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Got it licked today, you have to have the automation on the same track as the vsti and then set up another midi track for keyboard access. Simple when you know how only took about 6 hours to get it sorted.
Andy