Getting pops and crackles with plugin at 50%-60% cpu load

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
cdiver186

Getting pops and crackles with plugin at 50%-60% cpu load

Post by cdiver186 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:31 am

Not sure why - Im using Ableton 8.1.5 on osx 10.6.4 with Xils 3LE on a mpb 13inch. Cant tell whether its a problem on their end or abletons, and Im wondering is anybody experiencing the same thing? Sample rate and buffer sizes are normal and working and rechecked them just in case. I used to get cpu overload pops at about 80% with the same plugin on previous versions of ableton, but now thats drastically dropped to 50/60% . Im using the latest version of xils 3le. Any help would be much appreciated.

fredrickj

Re: Getting pops and crackles with plugin at 50%-60% cpu load

Post by fredrickj » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:20 am

I had a similar issue when switching quickly between scenes. Complex and layered sampled sounds like Omnisphere seemed to be the biggest problem. But even NI synth sounds which are more dependent on cpu power than memory reading had issues. Just not as often or as bad.

I had a duo core 2 at 2.8 ghz on Windows XP and thought I had plenty of power. Used about 15 to 20 % cpu. Most of the pops and crackles occurred in the beginning of the clip.

I got rid it by upgrading to an i7 870 cpu, faster memory, twice as fast actually. While the new cpu is faster I think the real solution was the much faster memory read on the new motherboard. Now, no matter how fast I switch between scenes the transitions are seamless and instantaneous.

i.e. Depending on the plug-in, I found at least, for truly seamless transitions between scenes a very fast computer is required.