Recover from Bug Report?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Gnosis

Recover from Bug Report?

Post by Gnosis » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:22 am

I just lost a lot of good work because Live quit on me and I forgot to select 'recover' the next time I loaded Live.

Is there any way I can use the information in the bug report to recover it?

Thanks in advance

ShelLuser

Re: Recover from Bug Report?

Post by ShelLuser » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:49 pm

This has been discussed many times before, though to be honest I wouldn't know what to search for either :mrgreen:

A lot depends on your OS though, alas...

On windows you'd have a data directory somewhere in 'documents and settings' and such. iirc on a Mac its somewhere in /home/<user>/ableton (but I'm not sure at all).

In there you'll have a subdir. with the version number of Live you're using ("Live 8.1.5" for example). In there you can find "Preferences\Crash" which contains copies of all live sets involved with a crash. Yours is bound to be in there as well.

Copy to a reachable place and try again.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

Gnosis

Post by Gnosis » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:48 am

Thanks ShelLuser, I'm on a Mac. I have found the folder with the crash information ( /user/library/application support/ableton ) and I have the bug report for the crash in question. The problem is that the format of the 'bug report' is a package (.alp) and not a project (.als), so live cannot open it.

Does anyone know of a way of extracting the .als file from the .alp file?

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:02 am

Only alp's ? Thats odd, must be mac specific; I only have als files (windows).

No worries; fire up live, pull up a browser of some sorts and just pull in the alp file into the "drop files and devices here" section. Now it should ask you where it should be installed; enter a suitable location (preferably one reachable by one of Live's browsers) and you should be well on your way.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).

Gnosis

Post by Gnosis » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:15 am

Thanks again for your help ShelLuser, sadly when I follow your steps, Live gives the message "Live cannot install this package because it is a 'bug reporting package'..."

According to what Live displays after a crash,
"a bug report contains:
- the curent Live Set (without samples)
- Live's preferences and authorization files
- a log of what you've done with Live since it was launched
- various other log files created by Live
- crash information from the operating system"

... so it sounds like all the info I need is in the bug report but I can't get to it because Live does not treat the bug report as a normal package file.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to get to the .als file?

Thanks

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Waaaaait a second here, did I see "Library" up there?

Are you looking inside your live library? Because that is not the place to look. Alas; you should have a folder called:

Ableton. This one has at least 4 sub dirs.: "Cache", "Live Recordings" and "Live Reports" together with the application directory, in my case "Live 8.1.5". The 'Reports' contain all bug reports in .alp format.

If you look at 8.1.5 you'll find 3 other subs: "Database", "Preference" and "Unlock". You want 'Preference'. This one has the "Crash" subdir. you're after and that one contains the .als files.

I don't know where this resides on Mac (been asking users who were looking for this several times, never got an answer only "yay it worked" so duh...) but I do know for sure that it is the same structure and the same name.

It wouldn't surprise me if these reside in your homedirectory somewhere; I'd simply start searching there for 'Preference'. Something in the likes of:

find ./ -type d -name Preference

Good luck!
With kind regards,

Peter

Gnosis

Post by Gnosis » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Again, I really appreciate your help ShelLuser but it seems that Mac and Windows organise and treat these files differently.

The bug report I have came from /user/mymac/library/application_support/ableton/ - this the Mac OS Library, not the ableton library.

Yes, there is an 8.1.5 folder there with a 'database' subdirectory and an 'unlock' subdirectory directory but there is no sign of a 'preference' or 'crash' subdirectory. Nor is there such a directory for any previously installed version of live 8 (8.1.4, 8.1.3. etc).

I have looked at all the subdirectories and there are numerous bug reports but the only .als files I can find are the ones associated with my last run of live.
(located here: /user/mymac/library/application_support/ableton/live_reports/temp/ableton project/Live Run_2010_09_20__00_21_58_Live 8.1.5/myproject.als)

... ie Each time I close and reload live, this folder is deleted and replaced by a new one.

I'm not sure why Macs and PCs behave so differently here... but it's annoying.

Anyone with any ideas on extracting a .als file from a bug report package?

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Sorry that I can't help out further here, it seems that there are indeed big differences. If no one responds in a day or so I'd relay this question to 'support@ableton.com'; they should know about this.

Oh; if you get a conclusive answer about all this I'd appreciate it if you could relay it here too. I don't do much on Mac but still appreciate any info which might help out others.

good luck!
With kind regards,

Peter