Live 8, Windows 7 compatability

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
kx.001

Live 8, Windows 7 compatability

Post by kx.001 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:35 am

Hi, I've recently built a new PC which is now running Windows 7 (64bit) which has been giving me a few problems with Live 8. The crashes are quite often seemingly random, when doing things like moving clips from the browser into a session.

While I have been filling in my crash reports (occasionally..) I was wondering if people can comment on my setup and whether they have had any issues with it (or is there a list somewhere? I have googled..)

I'm using an e-mu 0202 usb audio interface which is using old vista drivers, so could be the problem, and also a midisport 2x2 which only has beta drivers. Is it worth trying asio4all with the soundcard - is that likely to help (I don't know much about it..)

I also have my data on a mirrored RAID (controlled from the MOBO bios so windows sees it as an individual drive. does this ever cause problems?

The other thing I was wondering about was Ableton properties (right clicking on the desktop icon, so things like xp compatibility, running as administrator etc.) Will any of these settings make a difference.

Sorry about the somewhat vague first post. I'm just migrating form a mac so don't know the ins and outs of the new OS. Any help with other possible problems are appreciated. I know there have been a few problems for people with Live 8, but I don't know whether my problems are the software itself, or my fault from configuring the software or incompatible components.

Cheers

dentaku

Re: Live 8, Windows 7 compatability

Post by dentaku » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:16 pm

I don't have any of the same hardware as you but I can tell you that Live works fine in Win7 64bit for many people.
I'm going to agree with you that not having Win7 specific drivers for your hardware could very well be the problem. I have an old Echo Mia MIDI which actually has Win7 drivers so I guess I'm luky that Echo keeps even their oldest hardware up to date.

As for ASIO4ALL, I would try it out just in case it helps. I've used it before on other computers, it works in Win7 and doesn't mess with anything important so it shouldn't mess up your OS.
Custom built quiet Intel E6700 based PC, Echo Mia MIDI, Win7 64bit, Akai MPK49, Akai LPD8, Korg nanoKONTROL (which I don't realy use anymore), Ableton Live, Reason

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:39 am

I agree with Dentaku, get the latest ASIO4All drivers for 64 bit windows. I loaded that into my Asus G73 laptop (gaming rig but replacing my HP Pavillion) and I haven't had time to fiddle with Live other than load it up and make sure it didn't crash while playing the demo song. It sounded just fine. Now I need to get my M-Audio Uno connected and see if that works with my M50/MS20 as well as plug in my LPD8 and get that configured as well as my padKontrol. Guess I ought to get off my backside eh!? lol, anyways try out ASIO4All and see how that goes. The MIDISport 2x2 I am surprised it is even working. I couldn't get mine to work under Vista because it wasn't being supported. I would have had to buy the new Anniversary (Black colored) model to work with Vista. Was a bit miffed about that. No idea on the Emu.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Harry_

Post by Harry_ » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Agree with previous. I´m running the Live 8.1.5 in the Win 7 64 bit, works even better than with my
other daw, which has the XP OS. Must be either drivers or computer hadware. H.

fredrickj

Post by fredrickj » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:31 pm

Agree with all above. Live 8.1.5 has worked without any issues on my Windows 7 64 bit OS. Much better in fact than on XP and just as reliable as on my Macbook Pro.

Be sure to run with Admin privileges. I got lots of audio artifacts until Ableton advised me of potential problems running in Live as a standard user.

You must updated drivers for everything associated drivers that Live requires.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:51 pm

I've even been lucky enough that I don't even need to run as admin. I have all my VSTs installed outside of the protected area of C:\Program Files (x86) and everything works. That's the only thing I've had to figure out in Win7 (and even Vista) is to install all VSTs outside of protected folders so I put them all in C:\VstPlugins and now everything's fine.
Of course it helps that my Echo card supports Win7 64bit.
fredrickj wrote:Agree with all above. Live 8.1.5 has worked without any issues on my Windows 7 64 bit OS. Much better in fact than on XP and just as reliable as on my Macbook Pro.

Be sure to run with Admin privileges. I got lots of audio artifacts until Ableton advised me of potential problems running in Live as a standard user.

Custom built quiet Intel E6700 based PC, Echo Mia MIDI, Win7 64bit, Akai MPK49, Akai LPD8, Korg nanoKONTROL (which I don't realy use anymore), Ableton Live, Reason

The Crystal Apes

Post by The Crystal Apes » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:03 pm

dentaku wrote:I've even been lucky enough that I don't even need to run as admin. I have all my VSTs installed outside of the protected area of C:\Program Files (x86) and everything works. That's the only thing I've had to figure out in Win7 (and even Vista) is to install all VSTs outside of protected folders so I put them all in C:\VstPlugins and now everything's fine.
Of course it helps that my Echo card supports Win7 64bit.
fredrickj wrote:Agree with all above. Live 8.1.5 has worked without any issues on my Windows 7 64 bit OS. Much better in fact than on XP and just as reliable as on my Macbook Pro.

Hey guys, can others confirm this solution to work?
I'm following a discussion at the IK-Multimedia board about problems which have to deal with this Live issue.
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/forum/viewt ... 6&start=20

Maybe Ableton support and IKM could work out an official workaround to this until Ableton gets this fixed?
That would be great support work! :)

Best regards from Hamburg!
drJones
Stay Different. The Crystal Apes - Indie, Electronic, Pop, Rock

Somewhere on the web: CPU AMD Phenom IIx64 905e 2,5GHz, 4GB
OS Windows 7 Professional 64
DSP EMU 1820, UAD2 Solo
Software Ableton Suite 8.2.1, Reason4, Samplitude 11

djbolivia

Post by djbolivia » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:57 am

The crashes are quite often seemingly random, when doing things like moving clips from the browser into a session.
I started having this problem this week, after upgrading from XP to win7 64-bit. I believe I've narrowed it down somewhat, and I'm quite positive that it is not a driver issue.

I believe that certain mp3 files are causing problems when Live tries to access them. I have a DJ folder with approximately 60 files in it. Four of them, specifically caused problems. When I tried to move them from the browser into session view, they usually would preview automatically, even if I tried a drag-and-drop without previewing, which is what finally got me on the right track to figuring it out. The problem happened consistently with ONLY those four files, but it happened 100% of the time that I tried to use any. About 20+ crashes over the period that I was trying to understand the problem.

Once I realized that the software worked absolutely perfectly when I wasn't touching those four mp3's, I started to wonder if the sample rates of the files were a problem. It didn't appear to be - they seemed to be the same settings as the other mp3's. I then tried converting those four mp3's into WAV files and loading them into the session. NO problems with those same files as waves.

So I'm guessing that your problems lies with Live's interpretation of the mp3's, not the drivers. I'm using 8.1.4.

Rather than convert all my mp3's to waves in the future, I'm going to try compatibility mode ("XP Mode") with win7 next (I bought the Professional version, just in case).

djbolivia

Post by djbolivia » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:47 pm

XP Mode in win7 professional installation didn't go so well.

As a temporary fix, I updated all the mp3's that I was using by running them quickly through the "diskwriter" (wave file output writer) plug-in in Winamp. Turning them into wave files solved the problem, albeit it took me about two minutes to re-point all the clips at the new wave files instead of the original mp3's in a test session. But everything played and loaded fine, no crashes.

However, I'm still using 8.1.4. I've got access to the educational discounts since I'm using the software in classes at Berklee. Time to upgrade, I think, just to be safe.

djbolivia

Post by djbolivia » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:03 am

Well, it's been an interesting day. Switching to all wave files did NOT help the problem in the end. Other issues popped up, probably driver related in the end.

I did, however, finally have some success installing XP mode in win7 64-bit professional. The problem was that the instructions said that you have to install the 470mb download file of "XP Mode" first, THEN go into programs and run the setup, THEN download and install Virtual PC. But those directions don't work, at least not on my machine. After installing "XP Mode," the setup file didn't exist where MicroSoft said it would. In fact, I went into the install directory and it wasn't even there. I was temporarily confused. However, if you ignore trying to find that setup file (to set user preferences) and go straight to downloading and installing Virtual PC, THEN after you're done that install, the XP Mode user-config program appears inside the Virtual PC folder. A bit of a bollacks on the part of MS, but I guess it's hard to get everything right all the time.

Anyway, I've only tested for an hour or so, but my upgrade to 8.2.1 seems to be working perfectly in XP Mode, even with all the mp3 files that caused problems earlier.

djbolivia

Post by djbolivia » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:07 am

Correction, Ableton was not working in XP Mode. In fact, it isn't even SEEING directories with mp3's OR wave's in several locations. Maybe it's not Ableton, it might be XP Mode.

Anyway, I've wasted enough time today trying to make this work. Screw this. I guess I'm going to be forced to run Ableton on my old 32-bit laptop for a while, until a version of Live is released that integrates properly with win7 64-bit.

Very frustrating. All my other programs work fine. I thought that by waiting this long to migrate to 64-bit, I'd be able to avoid all these problems. Fail.