Separate MIDI mappings on different tracks?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Komponist-Kalle

Separate MIDI mappings on different tracks?

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi!

Is it possible to assign different midi control messages to Clip View Controls, on different tracks? Or is the Clip View Controls a "global" interface?

In Session View:
Let's say I have 2 audio tracks. Both tracks have a soundfile loaded in one of it's clip slots (different soundfiles on track 1 and 2). Then I double-click the first clip slot (containing the sound clip on track 1) to open up the Clip View Controls (at the bottom of the screen). Then I hit Control M (to enter Midi Map Mode). I click once in the Transpose field, turn a knob on my midi controller (CC 14, for instance). Then I click once on the clip slot containing the sound clip on track 2. (Now I can see the Clip View Controls settings for this clip at the botton of my screen.) Then I click once in the Transpose field again, turn another knob on my midi controller (let's say CC 15).

I would have thought that I now have different assignments on the two tracks, but I don't. The transposition control on both tracks are mapped to CC 15.

Is this intentional? Probably I'm doing something wrong here.

Should I use different midi channels in some way? All my mappings are indicated as channel 1 in the Mapping Browser in Live.

I'm sure I'm missing something. Could someone please be kind enough to enlighten me? :)

My setup:
Live Lite 8.2
Mac OSX 10.6.4
Novation ZeRO SL MkII (in Advanced Mode)

Best Regards,
Kristian

0fps

Re: Separate MIDI mappings on different tracks?

Post by 0fps » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:18 am

Its not global. each assignment u make, its unique for this clip.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi!

It's good news that the clip view interface isn't global. :) I got the impression that it was, based primarily on my problem (described above) and the fact that it actually looks that way: When in clip view: double clicking on a clip slot (with a sound file) opens the Clip View Controls at the bottom of the sccreen. Clicking once on another clip slot (with a sound file), Live appears to "load" this second clip's attributes without altering the overall interface. The visability state of Launch, Sample and Envelopes seems to be global, for instance. Audio Effects and other plugins seems to be treated differently. It's clear that if I drag an effect pluging to one track, and then drags the same effect from the browser to a new track, a NEW instance is created; these two effects can have different visability settings (the reveal triangle next to the on-off switch for example).

Can you (or anyone else, apart from me) duplicate the problem I'm describing in my first post? The problem is described in the wording starting with "In Session View: Let's say..." and ending with "...The transposition control on both tracks are mapped to CC 15.".

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:14 pm

0fps wrote:Its not global. each assignment u make, its unique for this clip.
It's indeed global, I'd say. It is separate in the sense that when you turn a knob, only the currently selected track is affected. But the problem is that you can't have different knobs assigned to different tracks, so you can't "play with" Clip View Controls on different tracks simultaneously. Only one at a time. Live is limited in this sense, which is a pity.

This is on my 5 item feature list here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151986