Good Multi-FX setup controllable via MIDI CC?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
MonsieurBon

Good Multi-FX setup controllable via MIDI CC?

Post by MonsieurBon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Hey Folks,

I've been using Ableton Live since 1.0 (or was it 1.5), but I always feel like every time I come here I find a new way to do something or that something I thought was impossible is in fact quite possible. I'm using Live 8 Suite currently.

Sometimes part of my creative process is just trying different filters to get unique sounds. I find this really easy just running an input directly through my Roland SP-404 sampler, which can really only do one effect at a time. But being able to select an effect easily with real buttons, then manipulate its parameters with real knobs is really handy.

I have yet to find a good parallel in Live. Hot-swapping of audio effects doesn't really fit the bill.

I just found this tutorial, which might fit the bill pretty well, actually. http://www.sound-unsound.com/forums/tut ... -live.html

I have a UC-33e and a BCR2000 which I could map to some sort of Multi FX setup. I think with the UC-33e I would probably map the volume sliders to an effects selector for each track, then use the knobs directly above it to control the parameters of each effect. But I'd have to turn on value scaling for that to work, which I guess is fine.

Anyway, does anyone have a preferred method for trying out multiple effects on the fly with minimal mousing?

Thanks!

gibson_ewok

Re: Good Multi-FX setup controllable via MIDI CC?

Post by gibson_ewok » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:41 pm

I would probably map the volume sliders to an effects selector for each track
Why don't you spend a day making a massive rack, and make 128 chains each with there own chain selector, then just have an encoder on a MIDI controller to scroll through them? This way you don't have to turn volumes up and down on each chain. However with the volume slider method you could create blends of effect's which is nice. But then you need 128 faders.

Cheers,
Bill.