EIC 2 massive CPU/RAM hog?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Abterra

EIC 2 massive CPU/RAM hog?

Post by Abterra » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Hey all,

I just got the box yesterday for ableton live, and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, or a way to fix it. I installed the EIC 2 into Live Library (on my external connected via firewire 800) When I load up an instrument, i.e. Grand Piano from EIC2, My cpu's are going bonkers, and my ram (4gigs) is maxed out instantly. My external sounds like it's writing and reading all over the place.

When i'm playing, it sounds great, no latency etc, however all my hardware going crazy.

I defragged the volume last night, and repaired the live library, all to no avail.

anyone help?

thanks in advance,
Tyler

Abterra

Re: EIC 2 massive CPU/RAM hog?

Post by Abterra » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:06 pm

bump! :mrgreen:

Abterra

Post by Abterra » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:50 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Can't give you much insights here. Stuff like the grand piano does indeed take up some CPU power, but I never had it go haywire on me. And I'm only on 2Gb memory, not 4.

So I suspect something else is going a bit odd there. When you try stuff like the piano, is that the only thing in your liveset at that time?
hey thanks for getting back,

Yeah man, nothing else is up, just a blank live set with one midi track with the grand piano. I might just uninstall everything and start over again... :(

Abterra

Post by Abterra » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

ShelLuser wrote:What Live version are you using? And do you have anything else hooked up, stuff like external midi devices or specific audio hardware and such ?

Another thing which might be of influence is that Live always tries to buffer its samples when you're going to be using them. So; as soon as you drag in the grand piano; try clicking on the bar at the bottom. Do you see a blueish bar filling up which tells you "Buffering samples" ?

That too can be of influence here..
havent tried that yet, I will give it a go! thanks!

Abterra

Post by Abterra » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:51 pm

The buffering takes place for like 10 seconds, then it say's it's buffered. What I also realized is that When I use something that was originally from my live library, i.e. Keys: acoustic piano (Live Library), it takes up WAY less RAM and processing power to use than if I were to use Keys: Grand Piano (EIC2)

Abterra

Post by Abterra » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:32 pm

I think I got it figured out, I think it's just the Grand Piano set, some other sample sets out of the EIC2 take a while to buffer, but once they're buffered, RAM and CPU is freed up. The grand piano takes minutes...like 5-10 to fully buffer for me.

Kevin808

Post by Kevin808 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:33 pm

What happens when you freeze the track?

Abterra

Post by Abterra » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Kevin808 wrote:What happens when you freeze the track?
didn't try that, (im really new to Ableton) I'll get back to you. Thanks!