Questions about Live Suite 8 add ons

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
jbeckl

Questions about Live Suite 8 add ons

Post by jbeckl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:41 pm

A lot of my instrument rack folders seem to have nothing in them, or only a random few presets. My Library preference is mapped correctly, and I know I installed everything and repaired the library twice. When I try to reinstall, it asks me if I want to 'replace' every time, so all the data is in there somewhere.

(1.) Since I'm up to Live 8.2.1, do my Live 8 DVDs still have the relevant patches, file types etc. to reinstall EIC 2?

(2.) Are there any updates other than Live 8.2.1 'with sounds' that I'm unaware of?

(3.) Is there real, proper documentation somewhere of all the EIC 2, Latin Percussion, Session Drums and Drum Machines content?

(4.) What else could I be missing here?

Thanks in advance!

Ableton_David

Re: Questions about Live Suite 8 add ons

Post by Ableton_David » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:40 pm

You need to install EIC2 and Session Drums from the DVDs - they don't come with the download version of Suite.

jbeckl

Post by jbeckl » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:08 am

I upgraded from the Live Suite 8 DVD to Live 8.2.1. I heard there was a different file format introduced along the way, so I wasn't sure if my DVDs were going to get the job done anymore.

Anyway, as a test I just installed the 'alto sax' pack from the Suite DVD... and there is still no alto sax patch in my browser. I feel like the files are being installed, but they aren't turning up in the Library.

Proper documentation is a full list of every patch included in a piece of software, along with a few helpful notes ('It's a Steinway!') and so on. Actually, the Ableton stuff is the only library I have that doesn't have this kind of documentation.

jbeckl

Post by jbeckl » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:34 am

Update: I now have folders with the right names (Choral Voice instead of 'Voice' etc.) with all the right subfolders... but no presets inside.

jbeckl

Post by jbeckl » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:14 am

This is kind of a major thing that needs to be resolved. If you want to use Live as a serious DAW and not just for jamming, looping etc... you're going to have a lot of sounds to organize. And if even the ones directly from Ableton are confusing....

PrynceAl

Confused b-wards compatible!

Post by PrynceAl » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Ok, I am seeing threads about Live being backwards compatible and not being backwards compatible...I am still using 8.0.4 and its awesome I wanted to upgrade to 8.1.2, 8.2.x but I read that 8.1.2 and up, won't be able to open sets in previous versions 8.0.4 or older, that is stupid as hell if that is true, do u know how many sets i have created in 8.0.4 I've been using it over a year!?

I just want to know RIGHT NOW plain and simple, will updating from 8.0.4 to a more current version cause me not to be able to open, edit, playback, record, etc. the whole 9, to my previous sets? If not, my relationship w/ Ableton is over bcuz that is again, stupid as hell!

Somebody holla at me!

Peripatetic

Re: Confused b-wards compatible!

Post by Peripatetic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:37 pm

PrynceAl wrote:Ok, I am seeing threads about Live being backwards compatible and not being backwards compatible...I am still using 8.0.4 and its awesome I wanted to upgrade to 8.1.2, 8.2.x but I read that 8.1.2 and up, won't be able to open sets in previous versions 8.0.4 or older, that is stupid as hell if that is true, do u know how many sets i have created in 8.0.4 I've been using it over a year!?

I just want to know RIGHT NOW plain and simple, will updating from 8.0.4 to a more current version cause me not to be able to open, edit, playback, record, etc. the whole 9, to my previous sets? If not, my relationship w/ Ableton is over bcuz that is again, stupid as hell!

Somebody holla at me!
It's the other way around. You can't make/edit a project in 8.1.2 and open it in 8.0.4.

Yes, you can open all your old sets in 8.1.2 but once you edit them you wouldn't be able to go back and re-open them in 8.0.4.

I think the only reason discussion of this even became a thing is because so many people are hanging on to older versions of Live when an update comes out just in case the update is unstable/worse than the version they've been using.
iMac, Ableton Suite 8, NI Komplete 7, NI Maschine, NI Kore 2, Reason 5, Arturia V-Collection, Akai APC40, Novation SL49 MKII, Akai MPK88, NI Audio Kontrol 1

Midisoul

Post by Midisoul » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:03 pm

So the box set arrives and it's an old version 8.0 something
I install a very long process
then I install the Galaxy of sounds
takes all day
then I update to 8.2 something
and start to work
BUT
where is all the sounds
I cant find any session drums or Essential sounds
what gives?

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:20 am

Midisoul wrote:So the box set arrives and it's an old version 8.0 something
I install a very long process
then I install the Galaxy of sounds
takes all day
then I update to 8.2 something
and start to work
BUT
where is all the sounds
I cant find any session drums or Essential sounds
what gives?
The sounds can be found in the browser - if you'd like to highlight what specifically comes from Session Drums, EIC2, or any other set, please enable help view and select the set that you'd like to see.