Arpeggiator problem.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Korhan

Arpeggiator problem.

Post by Korhan » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07 pm

When I trigger the arpeggiator in the arrangement or session views with a MIDI clip, the arp does not start immediately (misses the first beat). I guess this is not normal behavior. I use 8.2.1 but this used to happen in the previous versions too (8.1+)
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

Ableton_David

Re: Arpeggiator problem.

Post by Ableton_David » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Are your clips starting on- or off-beat?

ninox_rufa

Post by ninox_rufa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:12 am

Do you still have this problem Korhan?

This is happens here too. I can't predict when and I can't successfully reproduce it. Happens when the arp is in sync mode (which is pretty much how you want it to be 99% of the time).

I started a new set. got the error. Nothing I did would fix it. Decided to write an email to Ableton, wrote a few other emails, used Safari, went back to the Live set, pressed play and the bug's suddenly gone. Opened a different set, bug is back. Closed it, opened another set, bug gone.
Yes the clips are on the beat, the notes are on the beat inside the clip. I've also tried messing with them off the beat. I've tried moving the clip loop and the arrangement loop. Can't narrow down the cause.
It's definitely a bug.

Nevermind RSI from using Live. I think I'm starting to get it from writing to Ableton support.
MBP 2.3GHz QCore i7 4GB | Ultralite mk3 | 10.7.4 | Logic Pro 9.1.6

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:48 am

i cannot reproduce it right now but i am pretty sure this happens to me from time to time.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Disco Nutter

Post by Disco Nutter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Are you sure your first midi note isn't starting before the start of the clip? Happens to me somoetimes when recording and skipping quantization.

:)
Disco Nutter & Roka - 'Remixes:01' out now FREE! Download from here!

ninox_rufa

Post by ninox_rufa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:12 pm

100%. I stuffed around with this for about a half hour. Recording notes, drawing notes, quantizing notes, moving notes back and forth, saving midi clips, swapping midi clips, changing tracks, opening new sets etc. As I said the problem was occurring in a set, I switched applications, came back to the same set, pressed play and the problem was not there.
I actually noticed the problem a while ago just playing around with the arp and a clip in session view. Thought it was odd but couldn't be bothered looking at it. Haven't used the arp since till now.

Disco Nutter

Post by Disco Nutter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Hmm, strange indeed. I tend to record the arp's output on a separate midi track in order to filter out problems like not playing from the first bar and etc.
Disco Nutter & Roka - 'Remixes:01' out now FREE! Download from here!

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:02 pm

I have this, too. also the arpeggiator tends to behave differently regarding first note in session vs. arrangement ...

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:26 pm

To any of you having this issue, please get in touch with Ableton Technical Support: http://www.ableton.com/support.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:36 pm

I just noticed this and seeing as I'm using an arp to trigger beats in a live set this is creating a critical problem.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:19 pm

How many people are having this problem in Arrangement view when the 'start point' is the same as the first midi note?

I only have this issue when I loop where the first note is at the beginning of the loop (in arrangement view). If I set the start marker a step prior to that point (or the loop), the problem is no longer there. It is as if Live doesn't mind predicting in advance, but every time it starts at a 0 point for both Arp and Note (such as when they are quantized together at the beginning of a point in an Arrangement), it will skip a beat.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:17 pm

yur2die4 wrote:How many people are having this problem in Arrangement view when the 'start point' is the same as the first midi note?

I only have this issue when I loop where the first note is at the beginning of the loop (in arrangement view). If I set the start marker a step prior to that point (or the loop), the problem is no longer there. It is as if Live doesn't mind predicting in advance, but every time it starts at a 0 point for both Arp and Note (such as when they are quantized together at the beginning of a point in an Arrangement), it will skip a beat.
Hi, it's happening for me Session too I'm afraid. I can get around it by offsetting my midi notes and having a lead-in section before the clip loops but it's a clunky work around.

ninox_rufa

Post by ninox_rufa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:04 am

Ableton have confirmed it as a bug.

I'm also seeing another bug where the arp resets itself after a few bars even though reset is switched off. Last time I emailed them (about a month ago) they weren't yet able to reproduce it.

21 months into version 8 and the arp doesn't work. Well done!

I suspect it use to work okay prior to 8.1 but I can't test it. I asked Ableton if they could give me a download link for 8.0.x but they said they weren't able to. If anyone has an earlier version it would be great if you could test this or send me a link. I'll be happy to.

ninox_rufa

Post by ninox_rufa » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Sorry my mistake! I got that the wrong way round.

Ableton have NOT confirmed the 'note' bug that you describe above. At least not when I contacted them. Maybe they have by now.

Ableton have confirmed the reset bug.

tonymac

Post by tonymac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:46 pm

I have this problem too. Draw in a note, record a note, etc and when it feels like it; Ableton will play it off count.