out of memory

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
socialjusticeman

out of memory

Post by socialjusticeman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:06 am

Am I the only one using sets that are this big???

Is no one else getting very, very frustrated with the fact that a live performance of an hour requires the absolute limit of what Live can get away with in terms of memory usage?

I now get "out of memory" "ableton live has encountered a serious error and must shut down".

macbook pro core2 - osx 10.6.5 - live 8.2, 8.2.1, 8.2.2b - Launchpads, BCF.

This is such a joke.

the set can be found at http://www.mediafire.com/?xjqb9nyu83w8iru

Am I expecting too much in the year 2010 - having grown up with star trek - from these primitive 32bit programs?

Machinesworking

Re: out of memory

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:16 am

Out of memory error is directly related to RAM from what I know? What's your RAM amount?
How full is your hard drive? I run an hour long set in one instance, roughly 10-14 tracks per song, plus Kore 2, Guitar Rig, Speakerphone, and Buffer Override. 4GB of RAM and at least 50GB of free hard drive space on the 200GB HD, not much over 75% has been the golden rule for years, your OS will want to swap out RAM with empty space on your HD every once in a while and likes a big play pen, besides HDs work better when not maxed out. :)

socialjusticeman

Post by socialjusticeman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:33 am

Hi Machinesworking,

Yeah, man, Hardware's not the problem. 8GB ram, 100Gb free on a 7200rpm drive. Live only ever seems to be using about 2.59GB of ram, miles from the 4GB limit for 32bit processes.

I'm stumped as to how it could be hardware, but it might be.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:29 pm

socialjusticeman wrote:Hi Machinesworking,

Yeah, man, Hardware's not the problem. 8GB ram, 100Gb free on a 7200rpm drive. Live only ever seems to be using about 2.59GB of ram, miles from the 4GB limit for 32bit processes.

I'm stumped as to how it could be hardware, but it might be.

OK you have an older CPU, this is the big bottleneck, what's the GB of your Live Set? I got mine down to about 4GB, converted them all to 16bit files ( the difference in a live situation between 24 and 16 is microscopic ), before that I would have some issues, too much for the laptop, and I'm pretty sure mine's a little more powerful than yours. I dunno that's what worked for me anyway. 24bit takes a lot of memory and Live requires more CPU cycles on that many 24bit files.

socialjusticeman

Post by socialjusticeman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:34 am

it's a 64bit processor, but Live is a 32bit process.

NF

Post by NF » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:26 am

The RAM allocation and handles are problem of the OS.
My Live is able to get i a project 3.97 GB of RAM on my Win7 64-bit system.
So please try to fix your mashine.
I think that ableton support will help you too.
The cool thing about techno still, comparing it to most jazz is the improvisation coupled with raw energy.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:45 pm

socialjusticeman wrote:it's a 64bit processor, but Live is a 32bit process.
So you're only going to get a 32 bit OS out of that older macbook, sorry to let ya know. My slightly newer 2.4 core 2 duo is right before the cut off, I can't run Snow Leopard as 64 bit either. 4GB is the max that Ableton can use, check your RAM usage in Activity monitor.

Also, did you get any feedback on installing 4GB RAM sticks in that older macbook? It's possible that could be an issue too, though unlikely.

socialjusticeman

Post by socialjusticeman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:43 am

I'm not sure whether or how i've given you the impression that this is on a 32bit processor...

Guys, i'm really appreciating the help, but I do want to get the facts straight. I'm not sure how to post an image here but the CPU is a 2.66GHz core 2 duo with 8GB of 1067MHz DDR3 on os 10.6.5. In the system profiler, I have the line that reads:

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

Do you guys know something I don't?

Is this somehow a 32bit cpu?

Please explain?????

So working under the assumption that I should be able to utilise the full 4GB of RAM for Live - the other processes can be accommodated in the remaining 4 - what can I do on a mac to sort out this memory management issue?

I'm a recent convert from PC land, so I'm not too sure how to tweak osx.

Ian

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:52 pm

socialjusticeman wrote:I'm not sure whether or how i've given you the impression that this is on a 32bit processor...
Nobody thinks that. What we're telling you is that Live's a 32 bit app- hence, it will use a max of 4 GB of RAM, no matter what. Furthermore, it will only use 4 GB if you run a 64 bit OS; otherwise, 3 GB would be the max, and more than likely 2 GB.

ew