PLEASE HELP ABLETON 8 FROOZE TWICE DURING LIVE DJ SET

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
nastyrazz

PLEASE HELP ABLETON 8 FROOZE TWICE DURING LIVE DJ SET

Post by nastyrazz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:39 am

Hi, I DJ with Ableton 8, an M Audio xponent and a sony vaio laptop, using windows vista. Twice in the last month after DJing for a couple of hours Ableton totally freezes. The music stops, and all is unresponsive. My mouse icon still moves around. If I close Ableton it usually takes a minute or two to close and then when I open the set again it is fine.

I have another issue which im not sure if is releted. Sometimes when I start a track to get ready to bring in, the current track hesitates. That is very annoying but the freezing is my main concern as it makes me look an idiot in the busy nightclub. Please let me know asap, im DJing again tomorrow night.

Thanks Ryan

Shokol8

Re: PLEASE HELP ABLETON 8 FROOZE TWICE DURING LIVE DJ SET

Post by Shokol8 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:27 am

sorry to tell you that but move to mac it crashes three time less than windows(nothing is perfect) or go to your windows liberate a lot of space ,defragment your laptop and try to play during your task manager opened at home and try to end some processes that take a lot of ram, if you files tab dissapear dont worry restart your computer and try with other processes,cos some sometimes you got a lot of parasite software eating some ram space ,there is way as well to check wich software start at the boot and that you dont use you could get a rid off,but frankly ,i love my pc ( i got both) but it comes to music i def go to my mac, too many bad experience and issues with the pc ,i mean it did crash on my mac sometimes not as much and it run ableton so much quicker!!! ;D
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
MBP i5 2.3Gh 8GB 500SSD, 1TB HDD
Sierra Suite 9.7 Edirol FA101
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1
Ipad Air, Alesis I/O dock, NI S4 & F1
http://soundcloud.com/dr_goldsylver-fastfinger

nastyrazz

Post by nastyrazz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I think at some point I will move to mac. That isnt an option at the moment though as I dont have the funds. A few people have said I should upgrade vista to Windows 7. Do you think that will help? Thanks for all your info. Ill try clear some space and defragment etc.

Cheers Ryan

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:15 pm

nastyrazz wrote:Hi, I DJ with Ableton 8, an M Audio xponent and a sony vaio laptop, using windows vista. Twice in the last month after DJing for a couple of hours Ableton totally freezes. The music stops, and all is unresponsive. My mouse icon still moves around. If I close Ableton it usually takes a minute or two to close and then when I open the set again it is fine.

I have another issue which im not sure if is releted. Sometimes when I start a track to get ready to bring in, the current track hesitates. That is very annoying but the freezing is my main concern as it makes me look an idiot in the busy nightclub. Please let me know asap, im DJing again tomorrow night.

Thanks Ryan

I've been having the same problem with my laptop. How fast is your hard drive? My hard drive is only 5400 rpm and I am planning on replacing it with a 7200 rpm in the hopes that this will solve the problem. My laptop is Vista too.
Last edited by kb420 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

pablorotter

Post by pablorotter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:18 pm

nastyrazz wrote:Hi, I DJ with Ableton 8, an M Audio xponent and a sony vaio laptop, using windows vista. Twice in the last month after DJing for a couple of hours Ableton totally freezes. The music stops, and all is unresponsive. My mouse icon still moves around. If I close Ableton it usually takes a minute or two to close and then when I open the set again it is fine.

Thanks Ryan

The only way I've found to use PCs reliably for audio is to perform a clean install, get all the apps installed and dialed in. Then make a backup/image of the drive. If possible store samples/audio/data on another drive. Then restore the fresh image whenever you have trouble or regularly (6 months). Even with careful use by a pro, PCs registries get corrupt and very difficult to diagnose bugs crop up without fail.

I've been working on PCs professionally for over 20 years and am so stubborn/lazy about maintaining my own systems that I only recently implemented this setup and I'm happier then ever with live.

Good luck!

nastyrazz

Post by nastyrazz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:39 pm

thanks for info guys. yeah mine is 5000rpm.
Sony Vaio Processor: Intel 2.16GHz Pentium Dual-Core T3400 / Graphics: Intel GMA 4500M
60 gig free on 250 gb hard drive

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:14 pm

pablorotter wrote:The only way I've found to use PCs reliably for audio is to perform a clean install, get all the apps installed and dialed in. Then make a backup/image of the drive. If possible store samples/audio/data on another drive. Then restore the fresh image whenever you have trouble or regularly (6 months). Even with careful use by a pro, PCs registries get corrupt and very difficult to diagnose bugs crop up without fail.

+1 and additionally upgrade to Win7 (x64 if possible) and only install devices you need.
pablorotter wrote:I've been working on PCs professionally for over 20 years and am so stubborn/lazy about maintaining my own systems that I only recently implemented this setup and I'm happier then ever with live.
Good luck!
me too (OK, just 19 years, but anyway) and this is a very good advice, believe me.

@leedsquietman (if you read this...of course you do ;-)): we actually should launch that "finding the correct audio IF and tweaking windows for use /w Ableton Live" website finally.
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi, if any of you are having crashes, it's best to send in the reports and then get in touch with Ableton technical support directly: http://www.ableton.com/support.

nastyrazz

Post by nastyrazz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:16 pm

What do you mean reports? Ableton freezes but my laptop is still fine.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:36 pm

this is a newb question but is a $1000 mac equivalent to a $1000 pc? The pc will have better specs for the money but are specs worth nothing? Thanks.

nastyrazz

Post by nastyrazz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Im no expert mate. But from what I can gather Macs are better at almost everthing. Thats why there much more expensive than pc's

TyroneV

Post by TyroneV » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:57 pm

nastyrazz wrote:Im no expert mate. But from what I can gather Macs are better at almost everthing. Thats why there much more expensive than pc's
They aren't better at anything at all. They are just easier to use for people without thorough computer knowledge. Therefor they are less likeley to fuck up their system.

A PC will be much faster than a similarly priced MAC, however, it requires more knowledge to use it correctly.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:56 pm

TyroneV wrote:
nastyrazz wrote:Im no expert mate. But from what I can gather Macs are better at almost everthing. Thats why there much more expensive than pc's
They aren't better at anything at all. They are just easier to use for people without thorough computer knowledge. Therefor they are less likeley to fuck up their system.

A PC will be much faster than a similarly priced MAC, however, it requires more knowledge to use it correctly.
so you're paying soley for the apple name? As long as you don't screw up anything on a pc at the equivalent price as a mac, the pc should be faster?

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:11 pm

kanuck wrote:
TyroneV wrote:

so you're paying soley for the apple name? As long as you don't screw up anything on a pc at the equivalent price as a mac, the pc should be faster?
That's if you can get a PC near the same price point of the higher end macs. Many cap out WAY before you're even near what it would cost for a MAC.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

nastyrazz

Post by nastyrazz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:37 am

Its an interesting point about people not paying as much for a pc as a mac, but surely even if you had a 1200 pound mac and 1200 pound pc, The pc would be more likely to let you down, whatever you computer know how?