Upgrade to Suite.... where is drum machines???

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Jip

Upgrade to Suite.... where is drum machines???

Post by Jip » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi I've upgraded from Live 8 to the Suite version and authenticated so it has unlocked Analogue / Collision / Amp etc.

I did download the 2gb suite file but didn't bother reinstalling as all these instruments were unlocked.

Do I have to do this to get access to all the sounds & things like drum machines / latin percussion / drum sessions & all the samples (are these definitely included in the download version)

Many thanks as I want to save the time & hassle if not necessary to reinstall when I have unlocked everything already.....

(Ableton - would be nice to have some clear instructions on this on the download page - thanks!)
Jip

Imac Retina 5k/ Ableton Suite 9 & Push / Maschine Studio / Roland TR-8/ Traktor

Ableton_David

Re: Upgrade to Suite.... where is drum machines???

Post by Ableton_David » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi, you should see the Drum Machines kits and hits under Instruments->Drum Racks. You can also find the content from Drum Machines, Latin Percussion, and any other instruments that you have by enabling Help View and selecting what you'd like to find.

Jip

Post by Jip » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi David - thanks for reply

Under drum rack I don't see anything that refers to drum machines - the folders are - cymbal / Hihat / Kick / Kit / Percussion / Snare / Tom ............ no drum machines

I opened the help view and when I click on Drum Machines Kits - It tries to search Product "drum machines" - but doesn't find anything

when I click on Clips - it has an error about failing to resolve the link....

My question is really- would all of these files/kits etc been included when I originally purchased Live 8 and are automatically available with authorization (just as I can now access analogue / collision etc no problem) - OR - do I need to install the Upgrade suite download (or is this unnecessary?)

Thanks again
Jip

Imac Retina 5k/ Ableton Suite 9 & Push / Maschine Studio / Roland TR-8/ Traktor

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:02 pm

ShelLuser is correct - make sure you install the full Suite download. In addition, you won't see Drum Machines as its own folder under Drum Racks - the sounds and kits are mixed in. So, for example, if you want to load an 808 kit from Drum Machines, go to Instruments->Drum Racks->Kits to find it.

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:08 pm

I think Sessions Drums only availible in the boxed version. If you own suite, buy the box with the printed manual for 50€ or so...

have phun
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:36 pm

I had pretty much the same problem as the OP. Found this thread in a search of the forums, but it doesn't really end with the problem being solved, so I thought I'd add my notes about what worked for me. Maybe it'll save someone some time.

I downloaded and installed the 2GB Live8-to-Suite upgrade file. After installing, authorizing, and updating to the latest Suite version, I still didn't see any evidence of Drum Machines or Latin Percussion in my Live Devices or Library. Clicking on the Kits or Clips links under Drum Machines in the Help view set off a search of the library, which returned no results. It certainly appeared that those features were not installed by the Suite upgrade. If it matters, I'm on Mac OS X Snow Leopard ( 10.6.8 ).

I was able to get the Drum Machines and Latin Percussion kits and clips by downloading and installing the Live Packs separately from http://www.ableton.com/livepacks. After installing the Live Packs, I had lots more kits in "Instruments/Drum Rack/Kit" and a new folder named "Instruments/Drum Rack/Latin Percussion".

Like others, I assumed that all content was included in the original Suite upgrade file I downloaded, but it looks like it's not (or if it is, it's not getting installed when you run the upgrade.) The instructions for upgrading in the email I received from Ableton only talked about downloading and installing the Suite upgrade file, there was no mention of having to download the Live Packs separately. So I'm not sure if something went wrong when installing the upgrade, or if that content is intended to be downloaded separately. Either way, it could have gone smoother.

But all's well that ends well, and I've got everything I expected working now. :D

--
Moose

Small Colin

Post by Small Colin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:55 pm

ObtuseMoose wrote:I had pretty much the same problem as the OP. Found this thread in a search of the forums, but it doesn't really end with the problem being solved, so I thought I'd add my notes about what worked for me. Maybe it'll save someone some time.

I downloaded and installed the 2GB Live8-to-Suite upgrade file. After installing, authorizing, and updating to the latest Suite version, I still didn't see any evidence of Drum Machines or Latin Percussion in my Live Devices or Library. Clicking on the Kits or Clips links under Drum Machines in the Help view set off a search of the library, which returned no results. It certainly appeared that those features were not installed by the Suite upgrade. If it matters, I'm on Mac OS X Snow Leopard ( 10.6.8 ).

I was able to get the Drum Machines and Latin Percussion kits and clips by downloading and installing the Live Packs separately from http://www.ableton.com/livepacks. After installing the Live Packs, I had lots more kits in "Instruments/Drum Rack/Kit" and a new folder named "Instruments/Drum Rack/Latin Percussion".

Like others, I assumed that all content was included in the original Suite upgrade file I downloaded, but it looks like it's not (or if it is, it's not getting installed when you run the upgrade.) The instructions for upgrading in the email I received from Ableton only talked about downloading and installing the Suite upgrade file, there was no mention of having to download the Live Packs separately. So I'm not sure if something went wrong when installing the upgrade, or if that content is intended to be downloaded separately. Either way, it could have gone smoother.

But all's well that ends well, and I've got everything I expected working now. :D

--
Moose
I also ran into this problem and emailed ableton. They said when you run the installer all the racks & samples should appear automatically. But tbh my computer crashed & died just before I could try this out so don't know if this works or not.

Sorry, this might seem like a pointless post but your solution of downloading the live packs separately sounds like a good workaround so thanks for the input. When I get my computer back from apple I will keep this in mind.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:34 am

I'd ask Ableton.

I decided to get the Boxed version as an upgrade and glad I did. You get about 100GB of drums and sampled instruments and some of it is really cool.... Not just sampled drums but full kits with adjustable hi-hat tightness, crash stiffness, bass tweaks etc. All racked up and ready to go. Great to really get going.

Small Colin

Post by Small Colin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 pm

A small update on my situation (if anyone is interested :) )

I have now installed the Ableton Suite (with Sounds) download on my new MBP and can confirm that all instruments & samples are now present in my Live Library. So to the OP, I would suggest downloading this instead of the "program only" file.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:53 am

jestermgee wrote:I'd ask Ableton.

I decided to get the Boxed version as an upgrade and glad I did. You get about 100GB of drums and sampled instruments and some of it is really cool.... Not just sampled drums but full kits with adjustable hi-hat tightness, crash stiffness, bass tweaks etc. All racked up and ready to go. Great to really get going.
and stickers.

let's not forget the stickers.