Live Suite 8.2.1 Unusable - Crash Crash Crash

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
rob lee

Live Suite 8.2.1 Unusable - Crash Crash Crash

Post by rob lee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi, im at the end here with Live 8.2.1, it's totally useless to me and is unpredictable when it comes to crashing, 8 times already tonight :roll: The time it was when deleting a plugin *M1 Legacy* Live just froze and stopped responding, the time before that i was
auditioning audio files..Has anyone got a link to earlier versions?
Iv'e been working on tracks to release in the new year and i can't even have a decent session coz i get constant crashing, sending crash reports is a waste of time as it's different evertyime and amongst all else i don't have time to piss about.
Im on Windows 7 x64 and i have the M-Audio Delta 1010lt soundcard with all the latest drivers and Live is the only host that crashes on me out of Sonar/Studio One/Cubase.
I think Live may have to be shown the door if this caper carry's on regardless of it being my favourite host however 8.2.1 is a complete disaster, for me anyways.. just point me to a link to an earlier version please ABS.

Thanks

Rob

Angstrom

Re: Live Suite 8.2.1 Unusable - Crash Crash Crash

Post by Angstrom » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:16 am

you need to get in touch with support if you are having issues like that, this forum is only useful for general nit picking and cross correlation of bugs, not dealing with 8 times a night crashing.

http://www.ableton.com/support/contact_ ... al_support

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:47 am

Angstrom wrote:you need to get in touch with support if you are having issues like that, this forum is only useful for general nit picking and cross correlation of bugs, not dealing with 8 times a night crashing.

http://www.ableton.com/support/contact_ ... al_support

Ok, i'll do that from the link youv'e given here.. i thought this was the support forum :oops: Iv'e had to give up on the current track i was working on and try and do it in Studio One but it just ain't the same.. I mean i can understand a couple of crashes but since the last post it's done this another 4 times, that's 12 in total for 1 day.
Im at the point where, if i don't laugh i'll f***ing cry, it's that bad..
Thanks for the advice anyways.

Rob

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:57 am

yeah, this forum can be useful - but only for general stuff like "where are my EIC files located", or "why can I only hear sound in one side after recording my guitar" - because there are common answers to these that pretty much anyone can tell you.
The Ableton support team do wander through here to deal with these issues too. But when you have a problem liek yours, an install that is crashing regularly, it's obviously something specific to you and they will simply do what I just did ... escalate it to a one-on-one support session.

BTW, they will most likely be away from the office until Monday, so don't go holding your breath on an immediate response.

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:23 am

Cheers mate, i think i'll wait till monday anyways, im wondering now whether it also has something to do with the Axiom pro49 because it seems to seize up when Live crashes and the buttons/sliders/knobs are frozen after Live crashes.
However if i switch off the Axiom pro and back on again all is fine although i have to wait a little while to reboot Live bacause after the crash it still shows up in the Task Manager and can't be closed, if i wait 10-15 minutes though i can restart Live... very strange.

Thanks

Rob

mickybeautron

Post by mickybeautron » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:23 pm

but i think when ableton support takes over from someones problems on the forum here they should please post their findings so we might all be able to get a little more insight or help with our ableton bugs as opposed to the thread just ending unresolved. yu know :)
micky
MacBook Pro 13" i5 - 8gb DDR3 - Dual ssd - Live 9 - Apogee Duet - Adam A5x

http://www.soundcloud.com/pidgeo

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:41 am

mickybeautron wrote:but i think when ableton support takes over from someones problems on the forum here they should please post their findings so we might all be able to get a little more insight or help with our ableton bugs as opposed to the thread just ending unresolved. yu know :)
micky
The problem continues, workflow is Zero, :roll: Even deleting vst's and auditioning audio files can crash 8.2.1 at anytime, i can't find a sloution at all so im going to sell Live 8 suite.
Maybe good buy if anyone has earlier installers but 8.2.1 for me is a show stopper, i test and program many products and this 8.2.1 is bad.
Anyone wants to buy the download from me i'll sell the full suite for £325 gbp, it's 449 euro so get some money off from me.
Email: info@basslinerecords.com

I really loved Live but it's so unstable so it's gotta go.

Cheers

Rob

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:32 pm

while it may not be an issue that users can help to resolve, I don't think it hurts to mention that the program is still very unstable. I'm still working with 7 after having problems with version 8.

rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:28 pm

I don't trust the new AVID drivers. I have Delta's also. Are you sending sys ex to the Blofield by any chance -- midi echo? There was a post at SonicStates about this. I tried this exact same driver and I had a terrible crash. Registry errors... but on REAPER x86 (which runs more stable on x64 systems)

Best first choice: Deinstall the Axiom Pro, try a real MIDI keyboard with the Delta interface. Unfortunately I have dual Deltas and that same latest driver sucks.

Now all 300 employees just north of me, fired. They knew how to write drivers. M-Audio same crisis.

RK Music

(edit)

Everyone I hope successes or drivers that conflict will be reported back to other users.
Last edited by rhythm_kitchen on Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:14 pm

...dissapointed to read these posts. It is all beginning to sound very familiar (as is in the DUC). However I am not using the suite. Sys Ex clogs MIDI if retuning patches (alternate tunings) which MAX allows but not Max for Live. Thus, rather than Omnisphere which is buggy and you can't sell your license, NI seems the best option, irregardless of the hold wait time.

You obviously know what you're doing, but we in IT are trained to look first at basic things we often overlook: Did you uncheck 'turn off power to USB' hub' in device mgr. Make certain USB-2 is not plugged next to your legacy mouse? Sometimes we miss the obvious stuff. Engineering is not perfect. Cases made in China are the worst. And they are all made in China... Apple's quality has suffered as a result too. But they have a design team here that pay attention to little details like an unshielded USB connectors near the mobo. They were burned twice, with the new B&W G-3 then the first G-5.

Also I read very carefully the axiom specs and the axiom pro. The older axiom was being blown out by one of our discount stores here in the US and I passed still needing a percussion input pad, I have real synths and sampler.... Axiom is not W-7 compatible or course they could write a new driver but no. Only Pro but they first called it 'advanced' then Pro...things are all messed up over there.

Ableton was not listed on Axiom Pro for whatever this is called 'stateful something or other' -- then they finally added Digital Performer and Logic. That was less than a month ago. But removed DAE access by DP and Logic in PTs 8.1 then announced 9... so Motu tells me sample sync may now be an issue.... yet they are presenting themselves as a more open company.

This stateful inspection is part of some new midi spec I am unfamiliar with, but it deals with realtime faders, controllers, MMC, I would try first to make certain your 'green' W-7 environmentally friendly workstation is not trying to turn off USB power in intervals when you are editing... and make sure to plug into rear Faraday Caged USB hubs on rear of machine. Did you update USB hub drivers from MS website? Never use the front USB ports. Even a mouse. Best to get a three foot ext. cord with ferrite beads (or clampon ferrite beads) for mouse cable. Don't mix legacy 1.1 with 2.0 USB on same port (I have an Asus mobo and they are grouped in pairs (six total) at rear of mobo (Shielded). keep the pairs 2.0, grouped together, 1.1, etc. Recheck DIGI's website because they keep adding software vendors support and changing stuff around so it is nigh impossible to keep things straight.

I would de-install the Axiom Pro. Use the midi interface + keyboard see if that helps. I did a lot of research since no one here seemed to know the answer about dual interfaces (XP doesnt' like dual midi USB interfaces... our delta drivers have MIDI but I am using dual Delta 66s sync'd with spdif sample clock (sans MIDI). It turns on its own midi at startup, turns off motu midi. I have tried the latest (one Delta driver for all... even the audiophile). I dual boot, since I have two cards, W-7 only supports one card now (they disabled sync). How nice of Avid.

A laser mouse is sending data bursts at 1k hz even when not moved, just within the mouse itself -- not scroll wheels or buttons. USB has two data pairs that are twisted and should be twisted down to the mobo (and shielded) they stop on most workstations from the front USB ports 1/2 inch-3/4 inches above the mobo socket. This picks up EMI (mostly from GPU card) and hot silicon (Far Infrared) crystal.

I do believe in being helpful to fellow musicians... I've been at this a long time. DX Drum machine programming in the 80s...first MIDI interface (from APPLE) and that built into Atari, been in the business, and hope others will help me, and if I can help them, I will. But this 'we can fire tech support and move it all to India' because we have the DUC... that is not ok in my book.' Then everyime you call India you get ten automated calls to 'rate' your experience... pestering you to death even if you tell them not to call. The owner drives a Lexus, his whole team eats beans and rice. I'm really going to support them. Right. Better rating the faster the owner can buy another new Lexus SUV.
Last edited by rhythm_kitchen on Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:38 pm

(edit)

I'm puttin off something very unpleasant and not on the timer at the moment. But... Ableton and Motu are the only two non-corporate small guys out there. Did you send in a SiSandra report to tech support? Also those users who downgraded to 7 (and XP) did you also send in a SiSandra report?

You cannot rely on these manufacturers anymore. If one surface mount IC runs low, another is used to replace it. Even Apple (TI?) no, they have used other 1349 chipsets. Help tech support out it is a thankless task. I don't care to help out AVID anymore... they made deliberate profit making decisions and got themselves into this mess. If they can dig their way out so much the better, but they better lower their prices, and people better start testing RME hardware with ASIO on 9 and compare it to HD... they could never be trusted always pushing HD as the cat's meow. Same deal with CoreAudio... will there be sample sync problems, we won't know until it is scoped. Motu is concerned. And not a listening test by SoundOnSound either -- not unless using aurotones -- or Hegeman 1s (Morrison 17s) and are their any recording engineers left who recognize phase distortion? Did they compare it to Studer 2 inch? Also, I don't mean to insult third world workers... just the owners of these operations who suck all the profits out for their own personal gain. This is what is happening... like it or not. It would be a terrible thing if Ableton went the way of Sibelius. Once those few remaining guys here and in London can be replaced, it will all be managed in India. By tech support who can search a database, and think a DAW is a type of Dahl soup.

I guess this is my Christmas message as the Sirius Gate Opens (for those who understand Egyptian Astronomy)... much of our technology is 'borrowed' and engineers don't understand it. My Data Communications teacher used to say:" It's a miracle any of this stuff works at all!". I speak even of ICs. Even Ivor Catt and Walton (Catt Paradox) their physics proven in '78 it took 20 years for the IEEE to endorse. Still not taught to EE's in colleges.

So send in the SiSandra reports, and if Apple, find out the chip vendor's ids, also... always purchase applecare, tech support is a thankless task, and night after sleepless night is rewarded by posts like this? You have no idea the frustration, I sympathize with all, but until you are booked into a NEVE studio with musicans tuned up, waiting to play, and you can't stripe simpte because of a Digi Init conflict and Menlo Park is plunged into a electrical blackout... I'm sorry but that is a real test of patience (not RIAA money either -- that's a joke in itself). At one time even MIDI, which Opcode, Steinberg, and DP perfected has it's nightmares... even on Macs. Especially when the Studer required a simpte stripe to lock to the click and extraneous programming not possible by live players.

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:25 am

Last call for help :(

Ok i give up on Live 8.2.1 does anyone have the installer for the version before this? I have Live Suite 8.2.1 installed which is pretty much useless, iv'e been having to use Sonar to finish projects, it's starting to get embarrassing now not only for me but for clients.
Please don't ask my to send emails to support as my problem may not be somebody elses problem i just want access to an earlier stable version of Live Suite.

Thanks

Rob

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:19 am

Problem solved :D Someone at KVR mentioned i should try running Live in Admin mode in Windows 7 x64 and it seems to have done the trick as iv'e had no crashes with 8.2.1 since yesterday change of settings.I couldn't nail the problem yet it was so simple *Windows 7 users should start Live in Admin mode*

All the best.

Happy Bob :mrgreen: