Is there any disadvantage of using racks to save vst FX?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
RD444

Post by RD444 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Some of my FX plugins have odd 'default settings' that i cant change what it loads in with. for example sync to sequencer always off (so i have to turn it on every time). I was advised to pop the plug into a rack so it had these settings when loaded.

Also I thought it might be easier to find all my fave FX in one place

Is there any disadvantage of saving single plugs in an FX rack like this so that they have a more favourable 'default setting'

Cheers 8)
"Plugin Delay compensation -PDC WARNING - Ableton Live 9 does not sequence all information correctly in time"
The bigger the project the more out of time it will be.

AceLuby

Re: Is there any disadvantage of using racks to save vst FX?

Post by AceLuby » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:36 pm

RD444 wrote:Is there any disadvantage of using racks to save vst FX?

Some of my FX plugins have odd 'default settings' that i cant change what it loads in with. for example sync to sequencer always off (so i have to turn it on every time). I was advised to pop the plug into a rack so it had these settings when loaded.

Also I thought it might be easier to find all my fave FX in one place

Is there any disadvantage of saving single plugs in an FX rack like this so that they have a more favourable 'default setting'

Cheers 8)
Are you putting more than one instance of the vst in the rack? If so it would hit the CPU pretty hard w/ multiple versions of the vst all running concurrently, other than that, possibly a minor CPU hit by racking the vst.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

RD444

Post by RD444 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:45 am

Cheers

I was kind of thinking of setting one or two fX plugs set to fave settings like 'sync on' and controls set for best results when it first opens.

I had a go and it work pretty well.

I now realise what the macro controls are for :) :)

Live has got some interesting features.

I just wanted to make sure i wasn't going to make things difficult in the future by doing it like this.

Where are the racks stored? (I'm on a PC using XP 8) )
"Plugin Delay compensation -PDC WARNING - Ableton Live 9 does not sequence all information correctly in time"
The bigger the project the more out of time it will be.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:49 am

it shouldn't have any disadvantages. You can store your rack presets wherever you like to.

I have a folder in the presets section called "my efx racks" or so and I drag my own creations inside this folder. same for instrument racks.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:56 pm

pepezabala wrote:it shouldn't have any disadvantages. You can store your rack presets wherever you like to.

I have a folder in the presets section called "my efx racks" or so and I drag my own creations inside this folder. same for instrument racks.
+1 me too, works great.