resetting the global time with a scene

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
the harder way

resetting the global time with a scene

Post by the harder way » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:08 pm

I've got a collection of un-warped clips that I am launching in a single Ableton scene in the session view. Is there a way to suspend the global time clock while this scene is playing and restart the clock with the subsequent scene? For clarity's sake, I'm going to try to restate the previous question in the event that my first attempt falls on deaf ears. While a scene is playing, I want to be able to launch another scene that "resets" the global time clock. Obviously, I can start from silence and control the commencement of the global time clock. Can I start with audio and control the commencement of the global time clock?

Vibrations

Re: resetting the global time with a scene

Post by Vibrations » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 am

What do you mean by "global time clock"?
In the help files "global time clock" does not exist.

0fps

Post by 0fps » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 am

if u mean the global time quantization, the only ways to control it is by mouse, keystroke or MIDI controller. Maybe if you could draw an envelope to change a cc and route the channel that the clip is, back to your controller.

Hope u got me, despite my bad english :)
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:19 am

not sure what you mean. You can change tempo by making a scene name the tempo you want followed by BPM (i.e. 128BPM)

you can do the same with Time sig.

If you do mean global quantise, then maybe you should check out this: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153113

the harder way

Post by the harder way » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:10 pm

0fps, your reply made me think I needed to learn more about everything before I could ask my question successfully. I definitely know more about control changes and I'm learning more about envelopes. I'm going to try to ask my question again.

I launch a scene in the session view. The metronome starts. All other launches follow the global quantization unless I change the quantization of clips. If I change the quantization of all clips from a single scene to "none," I can launch that scene whenever I want. However, I will not be able to launch the next scene on the downbeat of a measure unless I change the quantization of all of its clips. Some scene will have an irregular number of beats if I want to line my performance back up with the global quantization. The question: does Ableton allow me to restart the "metronome" with the launch of a scene while music is already playing?

[nme]

Post by [nme] » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:46 pm

the harder way wrote:The question: does Ableton allow me to restart the "metronome" with the launch of a scene while music is already playing?
Good question. This is precisely what Global Quantization is for.. setting it to "1 Bar" will ensure your clips and scenes play on the downbeat of the metronome. Without this, it becomes more about individual sync - knowing where you are in time with the metronome (i.e. the global tempo) to activate your clips at the right moment.

Keep in mind, the metronome is absolute in time. With the metronome off, you could add generic drum clips to act as more dynamic metronomes or click tracks for specific scenes.

the harder way

Post by the harder way » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 pm

I think i've got it. I have to turn off the global quantization (set it to none) to have a single scene launch at an irregular time. I'm hoping that the launch of subsequent scenes with clips set to a one bar quantization will then line up with the downbeat of the irregularly launched scene. I can line up the launch of later scenes with the metronome downbeat at a moment in the set when I don't care about when the music starts. I've been trying to answer the same seemingly simple question for months.