Live no longer stable . 'out of memory' issue outstanding

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ctgarvey

Live no longer stable . 'out of memory' issue outstanding

Post by ctgarvey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi this is is addressed to any Ableton Support Engineer / Ableton technical diector / marketing guy / Person with strategic influence that may be reading this forum.

Folks,
I moved off Cubase / Win98 in 2005 over to Ableton/XP because it was stable, reliable and didnt crash.
Its 2010 and plugins and sample libraries have outgrown 32bit windows /3Gb limitation. This is not
Abletons Fault. A lot of additional functionality has been added and this added complexity may contribute
to Live instability. Ableton 8 crashes a lot lot more than Ableton 5 did.
Live cannot protect itself from this 'out of memory' issue. This is Abletons problem.
Why cant safeguards be built in that prevent plugins loading if they are going to go over some application
memory limit / cause a crash?. The whole RAM resources management issue needs to be rethought. Maybe its a Microsoft OS problem but I send numerous crash dumps and get no replies from ableton.

I can no longer reliably use your package for work and have to search for an alternative unless you get it sorted and get the 64bit/win 7 version out there asap / let me have a Beta.

Your faithfully.
win 7 64 bit Gigabyte x58a-ud3r/i7/24GbRAM/SSDsystem/Barracuda Raid 0 drives.
Ableton Live V8.2.5
Native instruments Komplete7
EastWestQL/Tonehammer
Izotope Ozone4/2c Aether/Waves
RME Fireface FW800.
MOTU USB MIDI express128
myspace.com/halautomatonmusic

rhythm_kitchen

Re: Live no longer stable . 'out of memory' issue outstanding

Post by rhythm_kitchen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:56 pm

this is a bummer for me...if true. I thought the box set i ordered was 8.2 for w 7 64. had reaper problems w free ni players xp pro 32 so bought komplete 7. Turns out free players are full NI versions with features disabled... so they take just as much horsepower. Now I am pondering (an Ableton noob)???? (Edit) finally on a real keyboard: Since Ableton vrs 8.0.8 live supports W-7 64 are you sure your info is correct?

I mentioned VST or 5.5 (deleted that part) but don't like the corporate bs or the fact that both Cubendo and Sonar are known as horsepower hogs like Pro Tools. At least REAPER is not that. Porting vs rewriting tight code.

Did i miss something i thought 8.2 is the shipping box 64 bit vrs. (I checked with a dealer it is).

rk

(I got writers block working with a linear timeline pushing to the right. Needed desperately to change up my workflow so I hope I can get as fast with live 8 as I was with Vision (discontinued) or Pro Tools for editing audio)

ctgarvey

Post by ctgarvey » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Ask Ableton yourself. It is a 32 bit application which, even on a 64bit OS, can
access at most 4Gb RAM. Problem for guys like me is Im using it with large orchestral sample libraries.
The article below indicates that Ableton can actually access the full 4Gb on a 64 bit OS so IM going to upgrade and see what happens. But the whole upgrade process is going to cost me at least 50hours I dont have.

Great article published in sound on sound november 2010 outlining whats 64 bit and whats not.
some snippets:

Music production software 64-bit compatible? 64-bit native?
Ableton Live 8.1 Yes No

A straw poll of audio software users or manufacturers reveals that the key advantage of a 64-bit OS is the ability to access more RAM.

Where memory access is the most useful is in the area of sample playback, or rather the use of samples in complex, multi-articulated virtual instruments. When Gigasampler demonstrated its ability to stream gigabytes of sample data off a hard drive through Windows 98, the era of hardware samplers came to an abrupt end, and the era of the software sampler had begun. When it was released in 1998, the recommended specs were only a paltry 128MB of RAM, yet it was able to pull 64 notes of polyphony from a 1GB piano instrument. Once the power of the software sampler was understood, sample sizes increased dramatically, but, probably more importantly, so did the demands of the user. When Gigastudio was discontinued in 2008, the forums were full of people trying to squeeze a few more megabytes out of their 32-bit Windows XP boxes, with clever manipulation of the memory management, in order to load that fully articulated trumpet that they couldn’t live without.
It’s here that we find the biggest demand for a 64-bit production environment: in the realm of orchestral instruments and the loading of massive sample libraries. This may also give a clue as to why many musicians who deal mainly with either electronic instruments or live recording are perhaps bemused at what all the fuss is about. The last thing someone composing in Propellerhead Reason is going to run out of is memory. Similarly, recording mixing and processing multitrack audio in Pro Tools is much heavier on the CPU than it is ever going to be on memory. Both Propellerhead and Digidesign have been running successful production environments on the 32-bit platform for many years, and being proprietary systems, they are not subject to some of the excesses of the third-party VST plug-in manufacturers. However, as the 64-bit advantages become more apparent, users will be pushing for greater compatibility, and our 32-bit friends need to be careful that they don’t get left behind.

n order to get some broad brush-stroke comparisons between environments, we’re using Spectrasonics’ Trilian Total Bass Module, which has a bunch of huge acoustic and electric basses that eat memory for breakfast. You can run dozens of synthesized and real bass instruments in Trilian without ever hitting the memory ceiling, but if you abuse it in the right way, it does a superb job of showing the limitations of the 32-bit OS and the possibilities of the 64-bit OS. Trilian comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit flavours. The test machine is a Core i5 750 with 8GB DDR3 RAM, dual booting in Windows 7 Professional 32-bit and 64-bit. Test hosts are Cubase and Sonar, both of which have 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and Ableton Live, which is 32-bit only.
Trilian has a couple of huge acoustic upright basses, over 2GB in size, each with a couple of different articulations that load different sample sets. These are loaded into the first four of the eight available slots. They load partly into RAM and partly onto disk ready for streaming, and so usually take up about 1GB of actual memory. The other four are electric basses, each over 1GB in size, loading about 600-700MB into RAM.
In A 32-bit OS
On 32-bit Windows, an application is allowed a maximum of 2GB regardless of how much RAM is physically installed. A 32-bit OS can only ever address a maximum of 4GB per process. Cubase, Sonar and Live were all able to load up a single full-range upright bass instrument. Loading a second would get stuck at about 1.5GB, and a message would pop up saying that we were trying to load an instrument that exceeded what was available to it. The first instrument could still be played, but that was as far as it got.
With Windows XP, there was a much talked about ‘3GB Switch’, which could be enabled by a simple edit in the ‘boot.ini’ file. This forced Windows into allocating 3GB of memory to an application, allowing the loading of a few more instruments. Sometimes this would interfere with how Windows was arranging resources for hardware, and clashes could occur with video and DSP cards, but when it worked, it was a great way to boost system performance. With Windows Vista, the boot.ini file vanished and this loophole was moved somewhere less accessible, while in Windows 7, the ‘bcdedit’ command can be used to turn on the 3GB switch by entering the following phrase into a Command window that’s been run as Administrator: bcdedit.exe /set IncreaseUserVa 3072. Upon reboot, a whole other 2.3GB bass could be loaded, and this time it stalled on the third when it reached 2.7GB in total. Not a bad tip.
32-bit Host, 64-bit OS

The first 64-bit microprocessor was created by MIPS Technologies back in 1991.
As a 64-bit OS can access more than 4GB of RAM, it makes no sense for Windows to artificially limit the amount of RAM an application can use. This means, in theory, that a 32-bit application running on a 64-bit OS should be able to access a full 4GB of RAM (assuming that further RAM is available for the system to run). This certainly seems to be the case. Cubase, Sonar and Live could all load four instruments, totalling around 3.7GB. On loading instrument number five, they all crashed out with the dreaded Microsoft C++ RunTime Error. So some caution is required, as is frequent saving, but the test shows that even running a 32-bit application in an emulated mode on a 64-bit OS gives much better performance than running it on a 32-bit OS.
64-bit Host, 64-bit OS
As expected, we finally get to break the 4GB barrier on a fully 64-bit system. We loaded up a full Trilian with eight instruments — nearly 7GB of samples loaded into RAM — and each played perfectly. Things started to get dicey on loading a second instance of Trilian, with playback beginning to crackle as the total physical RAM limit was being approached. It should be noted that when polyphony was raised and more notes were played the CPU would jump with the intensity of having to deal with so much data. This suggests that the CPU is still likely to be a factor when it comes to performance and sample playback.
Bridging Those Bits
A major factor preventing people from moving to a 64-bit OS is that there’s much confusion over what will and will not work in the 64-bit environment. In particular, even if your chosen host is available in a 64-bit version, many plug-ins are not. Vista, Windows 7 and Snow Leopard all allow for 32-bit code to be run on their 64-bit versions, albeit with a small overhead, so in principle this shouldn’t be a barrier to moving to a 64-bit OS. However, running 32-bit plug-ins within a 64-bit host or alongside 64-bit plug-ins is a slightly different matter, requiring a clever bit of bridging software.
The 64-bit versions of both Cubase and Sonar come with their own ‘bit bridge’ technology. It’s not flawless but it goes a long way towards providing compatibility while we wait for the software companies to pull their fingers out and come up with proper 64-bit versions. Waves and Universal Audio are two of the 32-bit culprits that set forums alight with troubled tales of bit-bridging woes. With version 5.1 of Cubase, many UAD users had trouble getting stable performance from Steinberg’s VST Bridge. With version 5.5, this is much improved, while for many others the solution lay with a third-party bit-bridge called jBridge, created by Jo o Fernandes. Jo o’s motivation was that he wanted to continue using 32-bit plug-ins, both free and commercial, that would probably never make it to a 64-bit version. In the writing and updating of jBridge he’s had to overcome some enormous problems relating to compatibility and odd issues such as how the host displays the graphical user interface. Hardware-based plug-ins were particularly difficult, which may give a clue as to why neither Universal Audio, SSL, TC Electronic or Digidesign have come up with full 64-bit versions as yet (although, at the time of writing, all except the SSL Duende will now install and run on a 64-bit OS).
Steinberg’s VSTBridge allowing us to load a disappointing 1.5GB worth of Trilian instruments.
So, for the next stage in our testing we ditched the 64-bit version of Trilian and loaded up the 32-bit version in 64-bit Sonar and Cubase. Sonar’s BitBridge and Cubase’s VSTBridge load up as their own process alongside the host. VSTBridge managed a disappointing single instrument of about 1GB loaded. When Trilian was set to unlimited memory, loading a second instrument would cause a runtime error and crash. In Sonar, the BitBridge happily managed four instruments, using 3.5GB RAM, and got stuck on the fifth. Swapping VSTBridge for jBridge in Cubase left it able to match Sonar’s performance in loading up four instruments. It’s almost as if VSTBridge is artificially restricted to the 2GB of a 32-bit OS.
The freeware jBridge breaking the 4GB barrier in 32-bit Ableton Live.
64-bit Plug-in, 32-bit Host
It’s a little-known and rarely understood fact that jBridge also works backwards. Not only can it bridge 32-bit plug-ins into a 64-bit host, but it can bridge 64-bit plug-ins into a 32-bit host. It may not be immediately clear what this means but, for instance, Ableton Live, a 32-bit application on our 64-bit OS, could use jBridge to run the 64-bit version of Trilian. In our tests here, it matched the performance of 64-bit Cubase and Sonar by loading all eight instruments. But taking it further, this presents an alternative to trying to bridge all those Waves and UAD plug-ins into a 64-bit host so you can use the odd 64-bit instrument: instead, you could use the 32-bit plug-ins natively in a 32-bit host, and bridge the odd 64-bit instrument instead.
Compatibility
It’s hard work having to maintain compatibility using bridging software. A lot of the criticism Steinberg and Cakewalk receive about bit-bridging is down to the plug-ins themselves rather than the bridging technology. It would be far better for all the hosts and plug-ins to make the jump to 64-bit native so that the user gets a more compatible and stable recording environment, without all this mucking about with bridges. It could also be said that the ease of 32-bit emulation in the 64-bit OS and the cleverness of the bit-bridging has allowed companies without 64-bit versions to drag their feet. On the other hand, we are talking about complex applications, built by relatively small companies, for whom the change to 64-bit is a huge undertaking — particularly where, as in the case of software such as Live or Reason, there are very few advantages to the majority of their users. In programming terms, it’s not simply a matter of recompiling using a 64-bit compiler; it’s more akin to a complete rewrite. For instance, Propellerhead use an API called the Carbon Human Interface Toolbox to create the windows, buttons and menus in Reason, but it’s not available on the 64-bit Mac OS X, so translating that user interface over to a 64-bit OS is no small undertaking. Then there’s a lot of other third-party functionality that forms part of the software and would also need rewriting. In some respects, we’re at a remarkable place of conflict, where we have the current 32-bit environment clashing with the incoming 64-bit future, but amongst the chaos and confusion, everything actually works — almost.
Future
There’s no doubt that we are heading into a 64-bit future. The hardware is already compatible, there are very few problems outside the creative industries, and the forthcoming Windows 8 is rumoured to be 64-bit only, although undoubtedly with full 32-bit emulation. Some developers, such as Spectrasonics, welcome the move, as it enables products like Trilian to really shine and demonstrate why more RAM is good. Neither Ableton or Propellerhead would be drawn into suggesting any kind of schedule for a 64-bit version of Live, Reason or Rewire, but it’s certainly something on their radar (Jo o Fernandes of jBridge fame suggested he might give Rewire a look). Avid recently released version 8.04 of Pro Tools, which brings official support for the Windows 7 64-bit platform, making it the last of the major music applications to make the jump to the 64-bit environment (though the application itself is still 32-bit).
No sign of a 64-bit Rewire... yet!
To push us to a fully 64-bit native environment would probably take a killer 64-bit only plug-in that no one can live without. In the meantime, whether your host is 32- or 64-bit, access to at least 4GB of RAM, the bit bridging of plug-ins in one direction or another, the ever-increasing realism of sample libraries and the potential for performance gains are all advantages worth having. 804314

Is Your Software Ready For 64-bit?
Music production software 64-bit compatible? 64-bit native?
Ableton Live 8.1 Yes No
Apple Logic Yes Yes
Avid Pro Tools 8.04 Yes No
Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Yes Yes
Cockos Reaper 3 Yes Yes
Image Line FL Studio Yes No
Magix Samplitude Yes No
Presonus Studio One Yes Yes
Propellerhead Reason 5 Yes No
Propellerhead Record 1.5 Yes No
SSL Soundscape 6 Yes No
Steinberg Cubase 5 Yes Yes
Steinberg Nuendo 5 Yes Yes
A selection of plug-ins 64-bit compatible? 64-bit native?
Antares Auto-Tune Yes No
Arturia V Collection Yes No
Celemony Melodyne Yes No
EastWest Composers Collection Yes Yes
Fxpansion BFD2 Yes No
IK Multimedia Total Bundle Yes No
Native Instruments Komplete 7 Yes Yes
Spectrasonics Product Line Yes Yes
SSL Duende No No
TC Electronic Powercore Yes No
Toontrack EZDrummer Yes Yes
Universal Audio UAD Yes No
VSL Vienna range Yes Yes
Waves range Yes No

Other Bits
It’s important not to confuse 64-bit processing, applications or operating systems with bit depth in an audio context:
Audio bit depth: 16-bit or 24-bit audio is to do with the resolution of audio files.
Audio processing bit depth: DAW applications typically process audio at a higher resolution than that of the files themselves. For instance, Ableton Live has a 64-bit mixing bus, although Live itself is a 32-bit application, and works with 16- or 24-bit files. As with the audio files, the resolution of the processing of audio is unrelated to the operating system.

Getting Around The Limits
In version 1.2 of their STEAM playback engine, Spectrasonics introduced a new memory addressing option on the Mac version called the Sample File Server. This enables Spectrasonics’ Omnisphere and Trilian to access memory outside of the host application, so when running in a 32-bit application, they are unrestrained by the 32-bit memory restrictions.

RAM Limits In Windows 7
Starter: 8GB.
Home Basic: 8GB.
Home Premium: 16GB.
Professional: 192GB.
Enterprise: 192GB.
Ultimate: 192GB.
Ableton Live V8.2.5
EastWestQL/Tonehammer
RME Fireface FW800.
MOTU USB MIDI express128

teslerg

Post by teslerg » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:23 am

In the last couple of weeks, I experience too many "out of memory" crashes on a Macpro Nehalem with Live 8.2.1

ctgarvey

Re: Live no longer stable .win7 64 bit update

Post by ctgarvey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:40 pm

Update on this. Burned a month having to rebuild new computer system to address the memory issue.

Am now on Windows 7 64 bit on Gigabyte x58a-ud3r / i7 / 24 Gb RAM running most plug ins in both 32 & 64 bit mode depending on host. native instruments and east west appear to be stable as 64bit plugins. Live seems to be quite stable too, so far , as a 32bit host on win7 64 bit. I will be seeing if I can squeeze more Application RAM out of live, for samples banks.
Much as I liked Ableton, Im F*cked off with what I perceive to be unreliability, post the whole max for live and sample mega library bloatware debacle. So if its still flakey on Win7 then Im going to burn another month investigating a migration over to Reaper, which is already 64bit.
Ableton Live V8.2.5
EastWestQL/Tonehammer
RME Fireface FW800.
MOTU USB MIDI express128

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi, have you been in touch with Ableton technical support about this?

ctgarvey

Post by ctgarvey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:29 pm

yes numerous times. I expect I have sent crash dumps from 'out of memory' approx 6 times. you can check from my email address.no reply other than the automatic one.It is now a dead issue for me. I have moved away from XP / 32 bit OS. And I will move away from Ableton in the next month if I spot the same instability on Win 7/64bit though initially it looks stable. However Ive outgrown the 2Gb app RAM limitation so I have to move from Ableton anyway, unless you get the 64bit beta to me.
thanks
C
Ableton Live V8.2.5
EastWestQL/Tonehammer
RME Fireface FW800.
MOTU USB MIDI express128

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:02 pm

ctgarvey wrote:yes numerous times. I expect I have sent crash dumps from 'out of memory' approx 6 times. you can check from my email address.no reply other than the automatic one.It is now a dead issue for me. I have moved away from XP / 32 bit OS. And I will move away from Ableton in the next month if I spot the same instability on Win 7/64bit though initially it looks stable. However Ive outgrown the 2Gb app RAM limitation so I have to move from Ableton anyway, unless you get the 64bit beta to me.
thanks
C
Sorry to hear about all this difficulty - would you please send an email to support@ableton.com? The crashes address does not to go our support team.

ctgarvey

IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE

Post by ctgarvey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:49 pm

according to MSDN, the maximum address space for a 32-bit process is 4Gb on 64bit Windows 7. But, this requires the process to have the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set.
Does anyone know if Ableton has this flag set?
thanks
Ableton Live V8.2.5
EastWestQL/Tonehammer
RME Fireface FW800.
MOTU USB MIDI express128

ctgarvey

Post by ctgarvey » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:01 am

I am drawing the following conclusion from my 3 month burnin of Ableton live 8.2.1 on Win 7 64 bit ;

It is neither more or less stable on win7 74 bit than win xp.
It is not a suitable package for orchestration / use with large sample libraries such as:

Native instrument reactor - (unstable on win 7/64 or Ableton live 8 or both) - especially the mouth and finger effect processors)
Native instrument kore - unstable. This VST appears to crash live on win 7/64
Native instrument Kontak 4.2.2 - (unstable combined with Ableton live 8 for large sample banks eg Scarbee guitarist, tho stable for small banks)
EWQL - Goliath / ministry of rock etc (large sample banks > 500Mb cause Live instability especially when multiple large banks loaded)
tonehammer - REquiem Pro (large sample banks > 500Mb cause Live instability)

The exception is:
toon track superior drummer (>500MB sample bank - This appears to be my most stable VST plugin in Live, never crashing)

I dont know if its the Operating system, the application (Live) or the VST thats causing the crash. Someones software engineering quality procedures are insufficient. (Ableton / Native instruments / Steinberg VST standard)

In just one engineering production session of track 'Beefin' , I had the following crashes:

03/04/2011 14:29 3,145,796 Ableton Crash Report 2011-04-03 142927 Live 8.2.1.alp
03/04/2011 14:53 4,160,107 Ableton Crash Report 2011-04-03 145341 Live 8.2.1.alp
03/04/2011 14:54 3,872,946 Ableton Crash Report 2011-04-03 145447 Live 8.2.1.alp
03/04/2011 14:56 3,882,198 Ableton Crash Report 2011-04-03 145607 Live 8.2.1.alp
03/04/2011 14:58 3,890,867 Ableton Crash Report 2011-04-03 145809 Live 8.2.1.alp

I continuously have to save work every 5 minutes or less. Sometimes even trying to save work crashes live,
or freezing tracks crashes live.It makes me paranoid during a production session...will it crash ..wont it...how much work will i lose this time.... Its worth mentioning that Im an ex IT professional that custom built this PC
with top notch parts only and installed only the bare minimum software (ie clean install) to dedicate the box to live.
I also disable any OS rubbish such as microsoft auto update etc etc.

So there it is! I guess I have the wrong tools for the job! Pity, as I like Lives intuitive simple interface, and WARP Audio stuff and found it reasonably light on useless bloatware...However I seem to recall Live before 'Max for live' was more stable..but I had less monster sample bank plugins then..

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

HAL Automaton
Ableton Live V8.2.5
EastWestQL/Tonehammer
RME Fireface FW800.
MOTU USB MIDI express128

wilsonrx

Post by wilsonrx » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:57 pm

You'll be lucky if you get a response from support.
Broadcasting LIVE every Sunday 6-8pm GMT on Point Blank FM.
90.2FM in London | http://www.pointblank.fm

http://www.djrobfrancis.com | http://www.soundcloud.com/djrobfrancis

Ableton Live v8 | Macbook Pro 15" 2.0Ghz Sandybridge | Custom PC

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:13 pm

wilsonrx wrote:You'll be lucky if you get a response from support.
To clarify, this forum isn't designed for interacting directly with Ableton technical support. To do that, go here: http://www.ableton.com/support

wilsonrx

Post by wilsonrx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi David

I know, I was referring to email rather than this forum.
Broadcasting LIVE every Sunday 6-8pm GMT on Point Blank FM.
90.2FM in London | http://www.pointblank.fm

http://www.djrobfrancis.com | http://www.soundcloud.com/djrobfrancis

Ableton Live v8 | Macbook Pro 15" 2.0Ghz Sandybridge | Custom PC

socialjusticeman

Post by socialjusticeman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:51 am

Ableton_David wrote:
To clarify, this forum isn't designed for interacting directly with Ableton technical support. To do that, go here: http://www.ableton.com/support

WHY??????

This is the place where people come for support and where others can see answers that helped.

It would be great to see details of conversations with support personell and better if they would keep an eye on this page and on the crash reports.

What the hell is the point of the crash reports if they don't go to support?

Why do I waste my time sending 20 of them a week?

Ian

socialjusticeman

Post by socialjusticeman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:52 am

Ableton_David wrote:

WHY??????

This is the place where people come for support and where others can see answers that helped.

It would be great to see details of conversations with support personell and better if they would keep an eye on this page and on the crash reports.

What the hell is the point of the crash reports if they don't go to support?

Why do I waste my time sending 20 of them a week?

Ian