Turn an audio clip into a sample indepedent of tempo

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
82DMC12

Turn an audio clip into a sample indepedent of tempo

Post by 82DMC12 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Hey everyone,

Pretty new to Live... I have a guitar interface and I recorded a guitar riff which I then warped into something that I want to turn into a sample. I want it to be more like a drum hit in the sense that it sounds the same no matter what the tempo is.

How do I do that??

Thanks,
Andy

rude_NHS

Re: Turn an audio clip into a sample indepedent of tempo

Post by rude_NHS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:51 pm

you could resample the clip then load it into one of the sample based instruments.

82DMC12

Post by 82DMC12 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks, I figured I must be able to do that.

Do you mean resampling from one track to another? I tried that but the clip still changes speed with tempo changes.

I also tried opening Simpler, dragged the clip into Simpler, and hit play. It wasn't my sample, but the unprocessed guitar sound that the clip is based on.

I'm using a Line6 POD UX1 interface with the POD plug-in.

Basically I have a cool clip that I just want to save as a sample that plays the same regardless of the tempo, kind of like a drum hit wouldn't change. I'm having trouble figuring how exactly to do that.

Thanks,
Andy

82DMC12

Post by 82DMC12 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Well, I think I got it as a sample in Simpler using resampling to a track, then dragging that new clip into Simpler. Now I have a sample that I can play on my keyboard chromatically, which is what I wanted. But if I try to drag that file from my Simpler folder into Impulse, I get the circle with a line through that says you can't do that. The file is a .adv file, which is an extension I can't find in the Live Manual.

I'm this far... Now how do I turn this sample into something that can be triggered in a drum set?

Thanks,
Andy

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:29 pm

consolidate the clip (ctrl+j) (captures the warping, as it sounds like you did some warping to get it to sound how you want)

then it is a new clip, and you turn warp OFF..

now it does not respond to tempo

?

the new clip's audio file could be brought into instruments (simpler, impulse)

.adv is "ableton device"

IOW device presets, not audio samples which they might use