Recording Automation in Live

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
stratblue

Recording Automation in Live

Post by stratblue » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Hey All.

FInally trying to get to grips with Live, so I bought an APC40. I'm probably being a bit dense but when I fiddle with the knobs on the APC I'm expecting those movements to be recorded into the clip. Is this how it works? I'm adjusting the filter in Halion, but when I play the clip back, the filter is static. I've googled some posts about Live not recording automation into clips but I just can't believe that it would have such a limitation. Can anyone give me the low down on this? The other problem I'm having is that I have to have Halion in focus for the APC knob to "link up", as soon as I choose the track to record on, the link is lost, so I have to manually reselect the track containing Halion, using the APC track select button.

Nick.
Hackintosh Rackmount, 10.8.3, Live 9, Roland VG99, Push, genoQs Octopus, Linnstrument & Suzuki Hayabusa Z (0-60=2.5 secs) BMWr1200GSA, BMW M3 V8!

milesahead

Re: Recording Automation in Live

Post by milesahead » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:33 pm

did you record using the "global" recording button?
just recording in the clip won`t record automation, that`s represented in the arrangement view,
therefore, you have to record a clip in "time", to record automation with it.
cheers

stratblue

Post by stratblue » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:04 pm

No, I didn't use the global button. I haven't gotten as far as using the arrange view yet, I'm just creating a few clips at the moment.

"just recording in the clip won`t record automation, that`s represented in the arrangement view, "

That statement seems very significant but is totally lost on me....I'm not trying to represent anything in the arrange view.

"you have to record a clip in "time", to record automation with it. "

I'm playing to the metronome, is there another kind of "in time" I'm not doing? Sorry to be so dense.
Hackintosh Rackmount, 10.8.3, Live 9, Roland VG99, Push, genoQs Octopus, Linnstrument & Suzuki Hayabusa Z (0-60=2.5 secs) BMWr1200GSA, BMW M3 V8!

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Can't record automation into session view clips.. it's something that damn near everyone wants, but there are a few work arounds for doing this

stratblue

Post by stratblue » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Seems insane to me. You mean you have to do automation on the fly for all tracks as you are playing? You could have 20 tracks on the go! I found that the APC gives out a general purpose controller and the filter knob in Halion is mapped to controller 74. I can set the remote SL to transmit cc74 and the clip WILL record it and play it back like I want, but it won't record the data from the APC?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:07 pm

It will only record MIDI CC automation. Pitchbends and stuff. All of those pretty much only apply to vst's and external gear :/ Anything that is meant for the built in effects or using the automatically mapped control surface knobs is not recorded into clip automation.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:16 am

If you're using Operator I know you can set parameters to pitch and mod.. and miraculously THOSE get recorded into session view clips..

Basically, you can do the recording in arrange view, then copy the automation back to session view into a clip.. the trick here, is that the automation envelope is 0 to 100% so you need to turn whatever you automated up to 100 in order for the envelope to work right..

If you got lost somewhere along the way, my bad, it's a pain in the ass to work around but a lot of us do it

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 am

stratblue wrote:I've googled some posts about Live not recording automation into clips but I just can't believe that it would have such a limitation. Can anyone give me the low down on this?
Yup, it's totally insane, isn't it? It is just not possible to record realtime auatomation into Live's session view clips. You can only draw them in or record controller movements of MIDI CCs of third party plugins, provided that they have their own midi learn system (so it doesn't even work with Live's built-in devices). Bottom line is , you CANNOT record parameter automation of anything in Live's session view (in other words, you can't use Live's midi mapping system to map a knob and record the movement in real-time).

The annoying thing about this too is that even if you were to record MIDI cc data of third party plugs that works in this way into a clip, moving that parameter conflicts with the cc envelope and it jumps around, rather than behaving like an Ableton control that has a clip envelope, where you can still move the control and the envelope is relative to the position of the control while tweaking.

There's also the IAC/MIDI Yoke workaround though that also causes various issues & complications that quickly ends up being a hassle and spoils your workflow.

This is one of the main reasons why I have completely replaced Ableton Live with Maschine as a production tool. I can highly recommend Maschine though for the type of mouse-free, hands-on production workflow like you're trying to do. It's a no-brainer really.