Replacing missing samples - candidate system rubbish

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
lazlo_funktek

Replacing missing samples - candidate system rubbish

Post by lazlo_funktek » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:46 am

I was trying to resurrect an old DJ set from a couple of years ago and there were a bunch of library samples that were missing - sine_1, sine_2 etc. There were about 200 in total. I found them somewhere else - pointed live towards them and clicked on 'Go'. It then said that it had found one candidate for each, but for some reason it didn't replace them automatically. I started trying to use the question mark, then dragging the file it brings up over and on to the missing file - but I realised this was going to take far too long, so I just replaced those instruments with something similar.

This seems to have been a problem for quite a few years now (looking back at previous posts).

It seems there are two issues: one is that it obviously shouldn't present candidate choices when there is only one candidate to choose from; and the other is that even if there are multiple candidates, quite often they're identical copies of the same wav/aiff/mp3 etc. In that case surely the software would be capable of seeing that and just choosing one for you so you didn't have to go through manually.

I hope I'm not repeating something that's been discussed to death elsewhere.

:|

Tone Deft

Re: Replacing missing samples - candidate system rubbish

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:44 pm

lazlo_funktek wrote:I hope I'm not repeating something that's been discussed to death elsewhere.

yes, but keep writing it. it's madness.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
lazlo_funktek wrote:I hope I'm not repeating something that's been discussed to death elsewhere.

yes, but keep writing it. it's madness.
Totally agree. Went through this the other day and it was PAINFUL! Ended up resurrecting an old set that didn't have those problems, saving over the set I created, then collected all and saved in the new location. What sucks is now those samples are stored in 5 different places now.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:05 pm

I've actually rebuilt a set from scratch before because it was less painful. Only a small set, granted, but it shouldn't be like this...
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

[nme]

Post by [nme] » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Depending on what version of Live you are using, there are steps you can take to repair or rebuild your Library.

Send a brief description of the issue along with the details of your system and Live version to:
support@ableton.com

Support will get back to you with the best steps you can take to reestablish your samples.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:45 pm

[nme] wrote:Depending on what version of Live you are using, there are steps you can take to repair or rebuild your Library.

Send a brief description of the issue along with the details of your system and Live version to:
support@ableton.com

Support will get back to you with the best steps you can take to reestablish your samples.
I don't think that is what the problem is, at least for me. When this happened to me I opened an unfinished song and then saved it in a new folder. When I went back to it the samples were all gone. So what I had to do was re-open my old copy in the original folder, overwrite the 'new' copy, then collect all and save so the samples would be in that directory. I had also saved this as my template so I had to re-save that one as well.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:39 pm

AceLuby wrote:
[nme] wrote:Depending on what version of Live you are using, there are steps you can take to repair or rebuild your Library.

support@ableton.com

I don't think that is what the problem is, at least for me. When this happened to me I opened an unfinished song and then saved it in a new folder. When I went back to it the samples were all gone. So what I had to do was re-open my old copy in the original folder, overwrite the 'new' copy, then collect all and save so the samples would be in that directory. I had also saved this as my template so I had to re-save that one as well.
hey man, I doubt you know the software better than the guys at Ableton. ;) pretty cool opportunity to look a gift horse in the mouth.

my $0.02.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
AceLuby wrote:

support@ableton.com

hey man, I doubt you know the software better than the guys at Ableton. ;) pretty cool opportunity to look a gift horse in the mouth.

my $0.02.
Ummm.... just trying to help as to what caused my problem and how I resolved it (which didn't have anything to do w/ library repair FWIW). Never claimed to know the program better than the programmers, like I said, just trying to help.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:38 pm

OK :D
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz