New Computer - Same Ableton - VSTs won't work

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
MojoTwin2

New Computer - Same Ableton - VSTs won't work

Post by MojoTwin2 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Got my new super computer - 64 bit Windows 7, i7 quad core processor, tons of ram, tons of hard drive space, great.

Loaded Ableton and it's running fine. HOWEVER, I can't use my VSTs. I have Rapture and Zebra and I loaded them - the .dll files are in the vst directory, and nothing. It won't even read them. Other vsts will crash the system, not work right, etc. I've never had any issues like this with Ableton up to this point.

So, has anyone seen this? Is it because I'm running 64 bit? Is there some kind of patch or fix? Without my vsts all my music that I've done over the years is gone.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Alec Smith

dokx

Re: New Computer - Same Ableton - VSTs won't work

Post by dokx » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:12 pm

No problem here, Win7 64bit on Core i3, 4 GB, my Zebra works.

Sometimes moving the VSTis to another folder or the root folder works when Ableton does not recognize my VSTis.

MojoTwin2

Post by MojoTwin2 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks a million. I'll give this a try tonight.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:25 pm

The best advice I always give is to install all your VSTs in a folder OUTSIDE of C:\Program Files(x86). It's a protected folder and for some reason certain VSTs don't like being there. You'd think VST programmers would know better by now considering Win7 and Vista have been out for a long time now. I think it's more a problem that happens with Live more than the Plug-ins themselves. Sonar doesn't seem to have this problem for example.

I install all my VSTs in C:\VstPlugins\Some VSTs give you an option as to where the .dll will be installed and a separate option for the rest (settings, presets, samples, EXEs etc...). Install even that stuff in C:\VstPlugins\ or any other folder outside of Program Files (x86) if you can. Dimension Pro is a good example of this.

ALSO: Install problem VSTs as administrator. I've needed to do that a few times.
ALSO: Register (input serial numbers etc.) troublesome VSTs while running Live as administrator. That might help with Rapture or Zebra but I don't have them so I can't test it out.

DON'T use the 64bit version of the plug-in. Live is 32bit so the 64bit versions won't work even though your OS is 64bit.

So far I've only found one VST that doesn't work in Win7 64bit.

Isn't Rapture just a tiny version of Dimension Pro? I had to do everything I just mentioned to get Dimension Pro to work.
MojoTwin2 wrote:Got my new super computer - 64 bit Windows 7, i7 quad core processor, tons of ram, tons of hard drive space, great.

Loaded Ableton and it's running fine. HOWEVER, I can't use my VSTs. I have Rapture and Zebra and I loaded them - the .dll files are in the vst directory, and nothing. It won't even read them. Other vsts will crash the system, not work right, etc. I've never had any issues like this with Ableton up to this point.

So, has anyone seen this? Is it because I'm running 64 bit? Is there some kind of patch or fix? Without my vsts all my music that I've done over the years is gone.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Alec Smith