Access to the "internals" of drum racks?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Komponist-Kalle

Access to the "internals" of drum racks?

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:04 pm

After dragging a drum rack preset to a midi track (for instance the Kit-808) shouldn't I have access to the samples (as Simpler instruments)? If I double click on the Kick-808 slot, for example, nothing happens. Is this intentional for presets?

I have a strong recollection that I've seen chain lists with Simplers and effects inside Drum racks.

Actually the preset called "Kit-AmbientLoudPunchLite-Stick" does reveal it's internals, as expected, but the 808 kit doesnt... Maybe I need to reinstall?

Live 8.2.1 (full version but not Suite)
OSX 10.6.5

Delie

Re: Access to the "internals" of drum racks?

Post by Delie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:54 pm

on the drum rack panel, click the small icons on the left-hand-side. One of the icons shows/hides chains

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Indeed :)
But there's no Show/Hide Chainlist or Devices on the Kit-808 rack. This is also true for Kit-Carbon, Kit-Carbonized (plus possible more ones).

Does your Kit-808 rack have Show/Hide Chainlist or Devices icons?

Sepp Ultura

Post by Sepp Ultura » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Possibly, you don't own the licenses you need in order to access the Live instruments used inside this specific drum rack. If you do not own operator, for example, you can't access the "internals" of drum racks that use operator.

At least that's my first guess. I don't have access to Live right now..

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:16 pm

Could very well be.

I wouldn't have thought, though, that a 808 kit would contain anything but simple samples, but I could be mistaken.

alien karma

Post by alien karma » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:15 am

whats up man,

I just checked my Kit-808 in a drum rack and I can get right into the device chains no problem. That is a weird issue that your having. I would say do an "idiot check" on the whole rack just to make sure that you are not missing anything. (not saying your an idiot, thats what I call it every time before I write to tech support.) and then if it still doesn't work then ask tech support what the deal is.
Windows XP service pack 2-Live Suite-

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:24 pm

alien karma wrote:whats up man,

I just checked my Kit-808 in a drum rack and I can get right into the device chains no problem. That is a weird issue that your having. I would say do an "idiot check" on the whole rack just to make sure that you are not missing anything. (not saying your an idiot, thats what I call it every time before I write to tech support.) and then if it still doesn't work then ask tech support what the deal is.

Hi!

Good to hear that it's actually feasible (since you can access the internals). May I ask if you're using the Suite version (or just the regular, full version like me)?

I'l do an idiot check as well (hehe ;)) A good idea. ;)

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:31 am

possibly, you don't own the licenses you need in order to access the Live instruments used inside this specific drum rack. If you do not own operator, for example, you can't access the "internals" of drum racks that use operator.

At least that's my first guess. I don't have access to Live right now..
This is exactly it... If you wanna test it out just load up live as the demo version and you see you will be able to open it

I have the same "issue" the fix is to upgrade to suite...lol

I get the same thing with effect racks that contain amp...

Most of the instrument rack presets too...

Depends on if its using something thats only inculded in suite

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:26 am

Komponist-Kalle wrote:Could very well be.

I wouldn't have thought, though, that a 808 kit would contain anything but simple samples, but I could be mistaken.
All the ones that don't open contain Operator.

I have 2 x 808 kits - one is part of the Drum machines pack, and that one is made up of samples, and the other one is made with Operator. If you don't own either you get a locked version of the Operator version.... you can use it fully if you enter demo mode, but of course then you can't save (unless you get the 30 day trial)

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 am

abletontrainer.com wrote:
Komponist-Kalle wrote:Could very well be.

All the ones that don't open contain Operator.

I have 2 x 808 kits - one is part of the Drum machines pack, and that one is made up of samples, and the other one is made with Operator. If you don't own either you get a locked version of the Operator version.... you can use it fully if you enter demo mode, but of course then you can't save (unless you get the 30 day trial)
Aha... And since both Drum machines and Operator are part of Suite, it's perfectly in order that I can't open up my 808 kit then? If so, it makes sense.

Is there perhaps a simpler way to "enter demo mode" than to download the demo version and run it for 30 days, so that I can actually check this out?

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:01 am

Open up the preferences (command ,)

User account
Licences

Show all products at start up

quit

reopen

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:35 am

Dragonbreath wrote:Open up the preferences (command ,)

User account
Licences

quit

reopen
yes as dragonbreath says - that way you can demo it forever but you just can't save or export - just do the same in reverse to exit demo mode

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:18 am

User account
Licences

quit

reopen
yes as dragonbreath says - that way you can demo it forever but you just can't save or export - just do the same in reverse to exit demo mode

Excellent!
Thank you both of you! :)

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Komponist-Kalle wrote:

User account
Licences

quit

reopen

Excellent!
Thank you both of you! :)
So, to sum up: this was a licence related issue. I don't own a licence for Operator, so I shouldn't be able to open up and tweak that particular rack.
Thank you all for your answers :)