Who else *RARELY* gets crashes in Live 8??

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
spacebob

Re: Who else *RARELY* gets crashes in Live 8??

Post by spacebob » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:54 pm

hi there.
i do get the out of memory problem with certain sets.
i do get this with these sets regardless of op system. and i may add that its totally annoying, cause it happens with one of the superhits :|

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Live is mostly stable for me. It might crash sometimes when trying to do something crazy, but thats only when tracking or mixing stage so not that big of a deal. I have never had a problem with Live while performing (knock on wood). I might have problems relating to other components in my setup but not live :mrgreen:.

It's honestly probably the program that crashes the least out of everything installed on my computer (Macbook Pro :o)

MonsieurBon

Post by MonsieurBon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:04 pm

I use Ableton Live almost every day. I have had one crash (same problem with a certain set, so multiple crashes but only with that set) in the past 18 months. I think I am on 8.1 or 8.2. I'm not on that computer at the moment.

I know exactly what caused that series of crashes, and it was resolved in an update. As a rule, I do not update ANYTHING unless I NEED to. The update information said it resolved the "opening sets with MIDI routings that don't exist any more causes crashes" problem. Since then I have been crash-free.

I'm on an 8-core Mac Pro 2009 with 6GB of RAM and 10.5.8. Again, no Snow Leopard yet unless I HAVE to.

I think people would find that things are a lot more stable if they don't update unless they have to. So many times we see "OMG guyz I updated to OS 99.9.9.999 and the latest release of Software X 3.9.9.9.9b and now everything is broken! Everything was working fine before, but I wanted to have the latest update [that doesn't have any new features]!!! Save me!"

For most of my technological life, I've always embraced the "trailing edge" of technology. This doesn't necessarily mean only getting old junk, but it means not buying the newest version of the newest thing and not getting the latest update of things until you need it and the internet resources indicate it to be relatively trouble-free.

</rant off> :)

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:08 pm

ive got crashes an masse, have change computers a couple of times to some really fast ones, PC, but still crasches, i must say
i use alot of heavy vst, and i bet if you dont run vst then it will run smoothly, but ill need my vst! but lately someone say try
to right click your short cut and make it run as administrator, i havent got a clue why , but my live runs quite good now, only minor problems once a week, but im sure its my vst,s, run live dayli
best luck

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:16 pm

lovelight wrote: but lately someone say try to right click your short cut and make it run as administrator, i havent got a clue why , but my live runs quite good now, only minor problems once a week, but im sure its my vst,s, run live dayli
best luck
running the VST as Administrator is so that the VST can "make changes" to your PC (files) without having to ask. I haven't used VSTs on my Win 7 PC but based on a few issues we've had a work with this security feature, I can see why you might need to "run as administrator" depending on how the VST is attempting to do its thing.

another option so that you don't have to worry about it is to turn of UAC. This will lower the security of you PC but will allow you/apps to do what needs to be done without asking... Click on Start and in the search field just type "turn off UAC" and then hit enter. this will give you a prompt and you can dial it down or turn it off altogether.

hope this helps.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:22 pm

fuck, I had my Motu ultralie crashing on me while rehearsing for a new project. Live 8 stable as a nuclear powerplant, but suddenly the motu was silent.

meggymoo7

Post by meggymoo7 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:32 am

its been good since deleting the prefs like they always suggest and it only has crashes when i do really crazy shit with aes and the convolution effects in kontakt......it was bad for a while but lately amazing but it does show some irradic behavior bit its bee recovering like it goes grey look like crash city and then boom !!!!!!pops back into action i also save alot more now and freaquently it may be superstious but i figure its compiling a shit load of undo's and memory maybe not but i figured if i save its less likly to fudge up .This thinking is based on absolutly nothing however it my educated guess on how it may run behind the scenes .And plus i been using the secret vst.