Arrangement View edit TANTRUM!!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
sadkin

Arrangement View edit TANTRUM!!

Post by sadkin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:42 am

I have had it! help please. is there some setting in any: Option/view/preferences that will stop what is happening when i am working quickly and diligently on clips in the arrangement view?

:evil: here is my frustration - whenever i get deep into editing audio clips/tracks in the arrangement view ~ cutting and pasting, nudging and slipping moving things around, i get going with the mouse fairly fast - i have an agenda, things i want to move around, k.. well so...sometimes when i click on a track/clip, whatever clip it is that i have quick grabbed, i make an edit - usually dragging a clip either forward or backward and before i can even say the word 'Sh*t!' i see the entire arrangement view has also, somehow been selected and then moves EVERYTHING in that yellow field! then, because of all the clips that had been mistakenly selected and shifted, the whole system slows down as i wait for Live and my CPU to process the massive errant edit...then, i have to hit undo and hope everything returns to its proper place. Its been happening to me for years and i have been putting up with it by uttering some nonsense under my breath but tonight, in my quick attempt to undo and get the flow back up to speed, i somehow jettisoned my clip that i had just spent time recording and nailing just right - somehow in my frantic attempt to quickly undo the massive edit i took that clip i was working on 'offline' (so it tells me) - no amount of 'undo' returned it either! UGH?! in the 'recorded' file folder the wav shows up but when i try and drag in into the arrangement it says it is "corrupt or not licensed" down in the status bar.

It wouldn't have happened in the first place if the entire song and its clips hadn't been inadvertently selected and shifted ...i swear i just left click on the intended clip once; yet, very frequently this happens where the entire contents of the song, spanning the duration of said clip, are magically selected and included with the edit - which, as i keep trying to explain in different ways, was intended to only move a single clip.

its late, usually i type with better grammar, structure and cohesiveness but i am frustrated and tired.

anyone else dealing with this? any cures, any settings i can adjust? anything?

Warrior Bob

Re: Arrangement View edit TANTRUM!!

Post by Warrior Bob » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:42 am

This is actually one of the few things that annoy me about Live - there's a lot going on on the screen, and a lot of information there at once, so it's kind of easy to miss when you've got a selection that's larger than you think. Along those same lines, it's easy to accidentally click on something you didn't mean to click - repositioning the playhead marker when you actually meant to select a clip, for example.

I don't know of any settings you can adjust. I think it's just part and parcel of how the Live UI works. You might consider using the visual scaling in Preferences, as it can make everything a bit bigger and maybe harder to miss, but I don't think it'll help you much.

Sorry :(